No announcement yet.

15 Best Motorcycle Roads in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've road my bike on about 8 of those listed, & Beartooth HWY is by far "THE BEST" I have ever ridden on!! I have pics all over my garage of the trip and I still get goose bumps when I look at them!!!
    sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
    82 1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      Once Deal's Gap was marketed as "The Tail of the Dragon", it was doomed to become the Niagara Falls of motorcycling. Spoiled, in other words. I've only been there once, but it was enough. Plenty of other great roads down there, and you don't have to deal with the tourists.

I dunno how that other OH road got on there, with 555 being ignored. Maybe the AMA riders are afraid of the Triple Nickel? Fine with me. Keep it clear.
      Yeah now that you mention it, let it be a "secret". That road an WVA16 (you west virginia rally vets that havent ridden 16 from fayetteville to US50 are really missing out) are probably tied for my favorite twisty roads all time. The BRP is great, but I wish the speed limit was 10-15mph higher...

Comment

Three for me, Cherahola, Blue Ridge Parkway, & The Dragon.

The Dragon and the Smoky Mountain area is well worth the trip but before 9 or after 5 on the Dragon makes it MUCH better.

02-22-2012, 02:01 PM ptexotik No Washoe Valley / Tahoe !!???
        That is suprising to me as well, that part of the Sierras is as nice as any area I have been to. I was fortunate to attend the Western States rally with the "Krusty" group last year and Hwy 108 and the "Little Dragon" were as technical as any roads I have ever been on anywhere.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Only one I've done is the blue ridge parkway and the dragon and would not repeat the experience with a gun to my head with the hammer cocked back. Blue ridge parking lot and tail of the statey is more like it. 45mph or less and they call it a motorcycle road. And 11 miles and 318 cops is not my idea of fun either.

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
            Three for me, Cherahola, Blue Ridge Parkway, & The Dragon.

The Dragon and the Smoky Mountain area is well worth the trip but before 9 or after 5 on the Dragon makes it MUCH better.

That is suprising to me as well, that part of the Sierras is as nice as any area I have been to. I was fortunate to attend the Western States rally with the "Krusty" group last year and Hwy 108 and the "Little Dragon" were as technical as any roads I have ever been on anywhere.
            Yes, We rode the Dragon at 7:00pm in May.. Plenty of light, and no traffic. It was a blast. I think on a crowded weekend it would suck.

Comment

Done em all and would be happy to ride some or all of them with fellow GSers if you're ever in the area. PM me in advance if you're coming and I'll show you a few more that are just as good.
              Willie
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                That's 'cause all the roads in Oregon suck. I actually got 9 out 15 (all the ones in the West) but then I'm an old fart and have had lots of time to do that.
                That's right, all the roads in Washington and Oregon are terrible, busted up junk and should be totally ignored by all.

Comment

Haven't been on any of them, but probably not a road in Ohio I haven't graced, but my favorite places to ride are in WV., plenty of scenery and twistys, and far as the road conditions, really good pavement, even with all the coal buckets and log haulers running up and down most roads you wouldn't want a horse to travel, but even most of the gravel roads are better than most of the bigger city streets. Here's some pics of the roads I've traveled, WV- rte 47,16,20,19. Mostly Braxton county and Webster county, I could ride these roads all day every day for a month and never get tired of them.

Been on all of these and then some!!!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Looks like I have a few more to go... 4 out of 15 aint too bad
                    Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    I got three on there.
                    Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    I actually got 9 out 15 (all the ones in the West) ...
                    Originally posted by GDT1960 View Post
                    I've road my bike on about 8 of those listed, ...
                    I have been on 8 of them. numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11 and 12.

Each of them has been great in its own way. Some for the technical aspect, others for scenery.

LOTS of other good roads that didn't make the list, but hey, there's only so much room on the "Top 15 Roads" list.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good thing none of my secret roads made the list.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        Personally, I would say that US 1 in CA is way over rated. I still do it, but Big T knows better roads. I thought Lolo Pass was way over rated, too. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though, because we rode it the day after my younger broke a front wheel on my GS850 on a rock on Oregon 3. we rented a truck to haul it to Montana where I found a wheel, and we got separated on 12. Then my brother in law hit a deer on Lolo pass on my other GS 850. Its possible I wasn't in the correct state of mind.
                        sounds like a trying trip.

Looks like I live on the right side of the country though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gssheller View Post
                          sounds like a trying trip.

Looks like I live on the right side of the country though!!
                          No, it was a blast. Overcoming setbacks is part of it. The broken wheel set us back a few days, and we ended up running several back to back 600 mile plus days to catch up, all on two lane roads. Got good advice from this list for planning.

US 14 over the Big Horns was memorable, going up through Shell Canyon in particular. Nobody their, either.

Of course, I like tight roads, like OR 53 between US 26 and Mohler, and 47 outside of Clatsknie, Timber road, It doesn't take much to put together a really nice local ride from your town or mine.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Good thing none of my secret roads made the list.
                            Exactly!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              No, it was a blast. Overcoming setbacks is part of it. The broken wheel set us back a few days, and we ended up running several back to back 600 mile plus days to catch up, all on two lane roads. Got good advice from this list for planning.

US 14 over the Big Horns was memorable, going up through Shell Canyon in particular. Nobody their, either.

Of course, I like tight roads, like OR 53 between US 26 and Mohler, and 47 outside of Clatsknie, Timber road, It doesn't take much to put together a really nice local ride from your town or mine.
                              No it doesn't. Still looking to get those calipers to you and check out those Nortons. Someday...

Comment

is there anywhere in America like the autobahn? unlimited mph?

or - what is the highest speed limit in USA?? and where?
                                thanks for replys as i havent been around our great country like i want to

Comment

Working...
                                X