No announcement yet.

15 Best Motorcycle Roads in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some areas out west here are 80mph but that's about it. I think even Montana went back to a speed limit for their places.

Oh, and the autobahn does have a speed limit - 130kmh - but there are places where it's ignored unless you cause an accident.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Some areas out west here are 80mph but that's about it. I think even Montana went back to a speed limit for their places.

Oh, and the autobahn does have a speed limit - 130kmh - but there are places where it's ignored unless you cause an accident.
      really wow i thought it was unlimited, still would like to go with a turbo busa lol, i just dont like to put anyone in danger, unlike a lot of idiots on you tube, accidents happen to fast,and at 190 i dont want to think about it

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Yeah, I've got to do the Enterprise - Clarkson - Lolo - Going to the Sun- Beartooth loop soon

I've done Lolo, GTTS and Beartooth as a kid in the backseat of a Ford wagon, doesn't count, tho
        i'm pretty certain that you are the one who recommended Enterprize to Clarkston to me! It was a highlight of that trip.

The roads you recommended between Maupin and LeGrand were also great.

The town of Fossil was a time warp.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          i'm pretty certain that you are the one who recommended Enterprize to Clarkston to me! It was a highlight of that trip.

The roads you recommended between Maupin and LeGrand were also great.

The town of Fossil was a time warp.
          I love riding the roads of central Oregon. They seem built for bikes!! Much better than the 4-laners.

I agree that the Enterprise-Clarkston-Lolo Pass sounds like a blast. I'd like to run a loop into SE Oregon, Nevada, Northern California through Yosemite, into Oregon via Klamath Falls and back home. Could be some great roads and scenery!!

Comment

if your gonna ride in nor-cal I recommend the 299 from redding to the 96 at willowcreek north to yreka. the roads arent the smoothest, they are tight and twisty with occasional rockfalls. there are like 3 cops on the whole trip, maybe. the scenery is awsome.

ah hell pick a road and it will be a good ride as long as its 2 lane and cuts through the nat'l forests and parks. I spent days riding my honda shadow and cx550 around the back roads from the coast(the 101) to the 395 from the 36 north into southern oregon and all of them were worth it.
            in retrospect I kinda regret moving back to nebraska

Comment

This is not true, there are some place with limits around cities, otherwise you go whatever speed you want. It's much safer than our highways, as everyone pays attention.
              I saw 280km on the Limo's speedo last month, all was well, so I went back to sleep.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The guy who works right next to me all day long is German and lived in Wiesbaden for the first 40 years of his life. He said the same thing, there are limits in and around cities and towns, but outside that there is no limit. He then promptly emailed me this picture which is the sign that roughly translated means, "End of Limits".

Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  This is not true, there are some place with limits around cities, otherwise you go whatever speed you want. It's much safer than our highways, as everyone pays attention.
                  I saw 280km on the Limo's speedo last month, all was well, so I went back to sleep.
                  You're right but while I was stationed there (2000-2004) we were strongly advised that even in those sections to be careful. If we did over 130kph and caused an accident, the German police would still fine us for going over the speed limit.

Course, maybe it was just the JAGs not wanting the extra paperwork either, I don't know. Either way, very few accidents at that speed end up good anyway, even with their safety advancements ( I saw a few really really nasty ones while I was there).

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

While in Germany on business in '93 I refused to listen to the advice/pleas (ie. warnings) of my hosts re: riding a motorcycle on their roads. I rented a new ST1100 and proceeded to check out this autobahn thing I'd heard so much about. The only advice I did adhere to was to stay in the right lane unless you're going to pass and even then make it quick. Nothing compares to passing a cop on the highway at about 95 mph and not being given a second look. On the other hand, not much compares to hearing airhorns and seeing a Mercedes emblem in your rearview mirror while doing over 110mph. Two things about that experience stand out. One is that it happened on a long straight and I had checked my rear view mirror seemingly 10 seconds before pulling out to pass and there was nothing back there. The other being the appearance of the driver. A little blue-haired lady. In-friggin-credible! I was thankful I made it back without further incidents.
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

You should have seen how funny it looked when I would pass folks in the 1991 Firebird, and then the 2003 Ford Focus we had.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

You should have seen how funny it looked when I would pass folks in the 1991 Firebird, and then the 2003 Ford Focus we had.
                        Overseas, there was a Focus sold with over 300 horsepower. It was only a little quicker than a Shelby GT500 around the Top Gear track.

Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-18-2012, 09:35 AM.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Glad to see that only one road in OR made the list, keeps them "dragon free"

So many roads, so little time
                          I hear you ....

Right on ... Not one word on AZ roads .. Best keep secret in north American bike riding ...And yes Ive road on at least half of that list...But I will say it takes a little more "hair" to ride alot of the AZ roads fast ..Do to armco rail and a cliff on one side and a rock wall on the other ...No run off.....

I lol on most of the roads on the list ... Their a traffic jam on the week ends ...

Comment

We have some nice challenging twisties down here in the Southern New Mexico mountains, they can get your heart racing...
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                              That's right, all the roads in Washington and Oregon are terrible, busted up junk and should be totally ignored by all.
                              Ya. (snicker) The roads up here suck! Too many turns, trees and mountains... Who wants winding twisted roads through small towns and valleys with views that distract from concentrating on getting where you are going. .. :-D
                              Heck, even the road I live on has three full 180° switchbacks in less than half a mile with a 200’ elevation change. I even tired doing it once at the speed limit of 15mph... You have to really concentrate to do it at that speed. To get it right you have to actually do that sliding about on the seat and lean thing at 35mph or so... who would ever want to do that? ... :-O :-* (snicker)
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Everything bad you've heard about the Dragon and riding in Eastern Tennessee is true. Please stay home or go to Oregon or Colorado or some other big square state out west....

Western North Carolina sucks too so don't go there either.

Please.

Comment

Working...
                                X