No announcement yet.

1982 GS450t cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little more wrenching tonight, made a little more progress while waiting for front-end parts to arrive.

Got the airbox out of there...will you look at that filter! Disgusting.

The standard setup...

A little cosmetic surgery...

Quick mock-up of the cafe style seat I'd like to have on there.

Need to make a different battery mount now that I've freed up all that space below the seat. Also need to finalize the seat design and what I'll be doing for rear signals.

I can't find the MAC 2-to-1 header set for this bike for less than $260, I think I'll just be doing something on my own. This is a budget build, after all!

Comment

Got the new ignition switch in yesterday, and found what will be my taillight. The clip-ons and turn signals should be getting here tomorrow. C'mon c'mon! Just want to bail from work and get filthy in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Poopwink View Post
        Got the new ignition switch in yesterday, and found what will be my taillight. The clip-ons and turn signals should be getting here tomorrow. C'mon c'mon! Just want to bail from work and get filthy in the garage.
        Yeah I know that feeling! I used to get that when I was in the middle of something during the rebuild, and now she's on the road I sit in the office looking at blue skys thinking I just wanna get out and ride!
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Currently trying to determine what I need for my air filters. I've got (theoretically) 34mm Mikuni carbs.

I know to stay away from EMGO's pod filters, are there any other brands I should steer clear of? I figured it would be a piece of cake to get some matching pods but it's taking a little more research than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Poopwink View Post
            Currently trying to determine what I need for my air filters. I've got (theoretically) 34mm Mikuni carbs.

I know to stay away from EMGO's pod filters, are there any other brands I should steer clear of? I figured it would be a piece of cake to get some matching pods but it's taking a little more research than I expected.
            K&N or APE are the go for quality pods. K&N have an application list that tell you what you need (I can't remember the model now but I have them), not sure about APE.

sigpic

Comment

So got back to work on the bike tonight after traveling/being sick/generally blowing it.

Can anyone confirm the outer diameter of Mikuni BS34 carbs? I still haven't ordered pod filters and forgot to measure how large I need 'em.

I spent most of the night pitting my walnut-sized stegosaurus brain against the electrical system. I'm trying to reassemble the signals/headlamp/etc. and have some major wiring error. I labeled all the connections as I disconnected them up front, so I think it's gotta be something next to the battery.

My battery was all but drained, but when I tried using 2 alternative batteries, there was a lot of sparking and even smoke, so I backed off. Does anyone have a photo of the stock arrangement of the electrical panel on the left-hand side of the motorcycle? I checked against a wiring diagram, and it looks like I have it all in the right place, but obviously something was wrong. I guess I have the "later style" relay.

Electrical systems were my biggest worry to begin with and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

All the size details you should need should be here:

Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin filters. KNFilters.com - the official site for performance filtration products.

Just take your time with the electrics and trace the wires according to how they're laid out in the wiring diagram and you should be good as gold.

sigpic

Comment

Sent you that picture of the stock electrical set-up for the 450 on Do-The-Ton, didn't realize you'd made your way over here yet!

Comment

Poopwink,
                    Thats going to make a neat cafe when your done. Your excitement and enthusiasm reminds me of myself 50 years ago when I was rejetting and putting a straight pipe on my 3-1/2 Hp. Allstate(Cushman) scooter. Stick with it and don't get impatient.
                    Niels

Comment

Thanks all. I've rebuilt/restored a few classic Porsches with my pops but this is my first motorcycle build and the first time I'm "leading" the project. These forums make life a lot easier..even 15 years ago it must have been so much tougher without this kind of access.

I'm trying to move by sections to pace myself. I'm trying to finish the front end (which, right now, means wiring in the new signals and getting new brake pads). Then it'll be carbs/filters/exhaust time, followed by cleaning the rear and installing the rear signal set I put together. The weather's finally getting nice up here, which makes me A) want to ride and B) want to avoid the garage and enjoy being outside again.

Comment

Hey, looking good.

If you're not going back with that stock rear grabrail, I'd sure like it. Mine was missing when I got it.

Thanks,

Kirk
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
                          If you're not going back with that stock rear grabrail, I'd sure like it. Mine was missing when I got it.
                          Kirk, I'm pretty sure I'm abandoning that grabrail. Do you have any spare levers/perches you might want to trade?

Got the front-end electrical straightened out last night. Felt good to fiddle with the controls and see it work. Ahh, progress.

I'd like to shorten my clutch cable because in its current configuration it is a bitch and a half to operate. I'm looking into ways to do it myself but most of the options seem to require tools/equipment that I don't have access to.

Here she is now.

Comment

Poop and Kirk,
                            Both bikes look great. Shame we are not all closer because it looks like we are putting together a fleet of good lookin' twins. Later on, we'll have to figure a way to put together a photo rendezvous.
                            Niels

Comment

Nice-looking bike. If your clutch cable is binding, try looping it around the right side of the steering head, so it doesn't bend too tightly. If you need the cable to angle more to the front, so the loop is a gentler radius, try a GS500 clutch lever assembly - fits your bike, but the cable takes off angled away from the bar, rather than parallel to it. They are often available on eBay.

Also, it doesn't hurt to lube the cable, especially a new one. That helped a lot with my cafe 550 (on which I am using a GS450E clutch cable).

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
                                Nice-looking bike. If your clutch cable is binding, try looping it around the right side of the steering head, so it doesn't bend too tightly. If you need the cable to angle more to the front, so the loop is a gentler radius, try a GS500 clutch lever assembly - fits your bike, but the cable takes off angled away from the bar, rather than parallel to it. They are often available on eBay.

Also, it doesn't hurt to lube the cable, especially a new one. That helped a lot with my cafe 550 (on which I am using a GS450E clutch cable).
                                Yeah, I gave it a half-assed lube yesterday but will try again tonight and see if it makes much of a difference. The clutch lever was already crazy stiff when I picked up the bike, and with the clip-ons I just have too much cable--not sure how much a forward-angled cable assembly would aid this problem.

I'll try going to the right of the steering head and try and mellow out the curvature on this thing tonight. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                                X