No announcement yet.

1982 GS450t cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know how that works out for you, I've got the same issue with mine, just gotten used to it.

Comment

Got the rear signals and tail light working and mounted! Not sure if I'm going to keep the tail light here or move it a little lower and further under the seat. Overall pretty happy with how it worked out. I think it's a considerable improvement over the enormous stock set up and was pretty cheap.

I tried my stock flasher relay with the motor on/off, and also switched over a stock relay from an '81 CM400 but didn't get any blinks. Got a no load/electronic one (I guess those old stock relays were load/thermal) for $9 from the local auto parts place. Thanks again, Jeff.

I've been trying to work in sections, so now I'm really diving into cleanup down below and around the seat pan. All kinds of dead beetles, spider egg sacs, etc...

I've gotten her some fresh air and fired her up a few times now. Starts every try, but idles a little rough. I'm waiting on a front wheel spacer that disappeared before I can start riding her around. Installed new brake pads last night. Slow but steady progress!

Comment

Looks very nice and racy. You can get a matching black clutch lever from Mike's XS for about six bucks. It'll bolt onto the GS clutch lever bracket.

Comment

I've been slowly chugging along at this project and have hit a few speedbumps:

Bouncing idle. I don't think it's the actual throttle cable sticking, it's gotta be something in the carbs. I checked my boots and while they're old, I think they're still good.

I threw the boots/carbs/filters back together and was working on building my own manometer so that I could perform a sync...but now my petcock isn't functioning properly.

It won't feed fuel into the carbs. I disassembled it and looked for buildup/corrosion and didn't see anything that looked problematic. I was able to start the bike a handful of times because there was still a bit of gasoline in the carburetors, and that should at least start pulling fuel, right? There was nothing coming down the line, so the idle kept dying.

The petcock won't feed fuel from ANY position, regardless of whether the bike is running or not. Any idea what to do next?

Comment

Originally posted by Poopwink View Post
            I've been slowly chugging along at this project and have hit a few speedbumps:

Bouncing idle. I don't think it's the actual throttle cable sticking, it's gotta be something in the carbs. I checked my boots and while they're old, I think they're still good.

I threw the boots/carbs/filters back together and was working on building my own manometer so that I could perform a sync...but now my petcock isn't functioning properly.

It won't feed fuel into the carbs. I disassembled it and looked for buildup/corrosion and didn't see anything that looked problematic. I was able to start the bike a handful of times because there was still a bit of gasoline in the carburetors, and that should at least start pulling fuel, right? There was nothing coming down the line, so the idle kept dying.

The petcock won't feed fuel from ANY position, regardless of whether the bike is running or not. Any idea what to do next?
            If your boots are old, the O rings underneath will be equally as old, and I'd suggest replacing both.

You can get a new fuel tap/petcock for less than $80 from Boulevard Suzuki, but I'd check your vacuum line and connection first and also pull the tap out and check the filter for crud build up.

Does your fuel tap just have on and reserve? If so, you'll have a little brass screw beside it which is for priming. Turn that on for about 30 seconds and see if it fills your carb floats. That will tell you if fuel is able to get from the tank to the carbs, and will narrow it to a fuel tap or vacuum connection issue.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Does your fuel tap just have on and reserve? If so, you'll have a little brass screw beside it which is for priming.
              Mine's got three settings: PRI (prime), FULL (default), RES (reserve). I disassembled the petcock and tried to clean out any residue or buildup but there actually wasn't any.

I'm going to try again after work and see if I somehow missed something obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Poopwink View Post
                Mine's got three settings: PRI (prime), FULL (default), RES (reserve). I disassembled the petcock and tried to clean out any residue or buildup but there actually wasn't any.

I'm going to try again after work and see if I somehow missed something obvious.
                Aaah ok, you have the other style of tap to mine.

Put it on PRI if you can and see if that allows fuel to run...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                X