Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve is ticking or cams. How do I fix this!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve is ticking or cams. How do I fix this!!

I just put my engine together and now the valves or cam are ticking, it is from the right side of the engine. I had the valve seats and valves cut by a machine shop so they should seat well, but for somereason I have nasty tick at all rmps, it is always ticking. How can I fugure out which valve is ticking. I have 1982 suzuki katana 16v motor so I don't want to take out all the valves again; I would really like to find out how I can pinpoint the tick to a perticular valve.

Check that one of the clearances is not way off or that the adjuster nut has not come loose. That's where I would start.

Or wear earplugs, problem will disappear then
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Is it a ticking valve due to clearance or lack of lubrication? Checking clearances one at a time would be the only way to be sure.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
        how I can pinpoint the tick to a perticular valve?
        Take the cover off and re-check the valve lash.
        After running it, the valves should have seated by now making them tighter not looser.
        Perhaps an adjuster has come loose.

Daniel

Comment

I just cheked the clearence and all my valve have about .100mm clearance so that is well in spec for the 16valve motors, but for some reason I still have damn tick. WHat else could be ticking? It is for sure coming from the right side and the cylinder head, it is a fast valve tick; I'm not sure what else to really check.

Comment

maybe change the oil and double check your viscosity, I had a similar issue on a 6 cylinder vw motor, I didnt change the oil soon enough after the head was redone and it developed a ticking, as soon as I changed it the tick was gone, the old oil was really bad looking...

Comment

can you spell stethascope? (I can't) or hold a thick screw driver to your ear and put the point at various places around the engine, might help you track it down. (check it might not be the valves too)

When it was apart, were valve guide to valve stem clearances in spec?
              Also did you check the spec of the clearance of the rockers on thier shaft, both axially and sideplay. like wise the camshaft in its jounals.

Springs all seated properly? (all valve seats in?)

A unconventional diagnostic would be to start it with the cover off, OIL WILL GO EVERYWHERE, but you just might pick which valve.

Ignore it for a bit it might go away, or it might get worse and leave no doubt as to which valve.

Comment

Working...
              X