82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I had a 78 T/A that'd do 13 flat in street tires. It was NOT stock however.

If you can hook up without killing yourself your gonna have a shot. It's likely going to be easier for him to hook up cleanly unless you've got a lot of experience drag racing with a bike. It definitely takes skill to launch without blowing all your "umph" with a wheelie. A problem he's not likely to have.
      I drove a 96? Camero SS or Z28 one (can't remember which) that had the LT motor in it with the 6sp tranny. They were damn fast. I was quite impressed and I've driven a lot of "very fast" cars. But what was even more amazing to me was how quick they stopped! Great brakes on that car
      My brother in law had a 95 Z28 that I got to drive many times cause he liked to drink too much. He drank, I drove. All stock. The car was a little speed demon and too much fun to drive.
      Several years ago I test drove a used 96 SS, white with orange stripes, 6 speed. I came this close to buying it but chickened out. Prolly just as well.
      I still like em!
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        Try adding in the secondary reduction of 1.062 into your calculation then try it again. The number you are looking for is larger than 5.27
        Aww crap. I shoulda known I forgot something. That's what I get for studying architecture at my engineering school. Precise, but inaccurate.

Bone stock, you'd need to spin the 850G up to 9,690 rpm's to hit 135 mph.

While 'mathematically' possible, it may not be so kind to the engine.
        Well played sir. Where is that cliff?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post

Nah, it's a GS. They like that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

She'll be alright at those revs. She won't pull them in top but nothng will break.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

funny. I cant find any web addresses in any of those ads. Like to have the 1983 buyers guide for $3.95. Wonder if they have an app for that.

Comment

Aww crap. I shoulda known I forgot something. That's what I get for studying architecture at my engineering school. Precise, but inaccurate.

The problem is power. They don't have enough of it to go 135. Neither does a 1100G for that matter. Neither does a 1000G

I have owned six of them. I own two now. They will not reach red line in top gear. For what its worth, closest to standard is a 120-90 tire, not a 130.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The problem is power. They don't have enough of it to go 135. Neither does a 1100G for that matter. Neither does a 1000G
                  This is probably where the loss of efficiency inherent in the driveshaft's two ninety degree changes of direction comes into play. The big chain drive bikes will do it.

Comment

I use a 130 tire so I did the calculations that way.

You are correct though, it all depends on whether or not it can pull to redline in top gear. This has a huge number of factors, and is much harder to compute than the gear ratios.

Only way to do it is test it. I could have sworn that my GS has pulled up to redline in top gear before. Could be something to do with me being a skinny ass, or an optimistic memory. Who knows

Comment

I use a 130 tire so I did the calculations that way.

You are correct though, it all depends on whether or not it can pull to redline in top gear. This has a huge number of factors, and is much harder to compute than the gear ratios.

Only way to do it is test it. I could have sworn that my GS has pulled up to redline in top gear before. Could be something to do with me being a skinny ass, or an optimistic memory. Who knows
                      There may be a huge amount of factors but the overriding factor for me is I ain't gettin on no bike and going no 135mph nowhere on no street no how. Nope. Ain't doing it.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                        Please explain
                        A perfect GS850 runs 12.7 at 103 with a good rider. Per your posted data, cars running 13.3 or so achieve a higher top speed at the end of the quarter mile. The Buick GS ran 108, right? The bike can't get to the end quicker by going slower the whole way. It had to have been faster at some point along the way. The speed at the end leads an observer to believe that the the bike was not faster toward the end, yet it was faster somewhere, or it could not make it to the end in less time. Where could it have been faster knowing it was not near the end?

Throughout the 80's, my brother and I beat a lot of big Japanese bikes in street drags using this dynamic while riding hot rodded Norton Commandos. The race ended before the faster bike could catch up.
                        Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                          There may be a huge amount of factors but the overriding factor for me is I ain't gettin on no bike and going no 135mph nowhere on no street no how. Nope. Ain't doing it.

You would if it feels like you're going 70mph.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

A perfect GS850 runs 12.7 at 103 with a good rider. Per your posted data, cars running 13.3 or so achieve a higher top speed at the end of the quarter mile. The Buick GS ran 108, right? The bike can't get to the end quicker by going slower the whole way. It had to have been faster at some point along the way. The speed at the end leads an observer to believe that the the bike was not faster toward the end, yet it was faster somewhere, or it could not make it to the end in less time. Where could it have been faster knowing it was not near the end?
                            Because... she's made........ of wood?
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                              You would if it feels like you're going 70mph.
                              That would be on the BMW.
                              It's actually kind of boring at 135.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                                Because... she's made........ of wood?
                                A witch!!!! Burn her!!!!!

It wasn't until I read it in a English accent that I completely grasped what you said. Methinks the previous math exercise has ruined my brain

Comment

Working...
                                X