No announcement yet.

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now I'm a little uncertain, 'cuz I've already bought the black metallic paint. But seeing the bike in red...

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, Spiff. Personally I think the blue bikes are faster.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Why do I have the feeling you're biased ? :P

Bonus points if anyone knows the paint code for that red!

Comment

Spent a whole lot of cash today on more nos parts:
          -headlight bucket with all chrome trim rings.
          -new headlight switch knob
          -gs850 choke cable
          -new screws for the tank emblems
          -new stopper rings for the side emblems
          -new decal on the right side engine cover
          -new stopper ring for the fork seal.

Updates to follow once I receive the parts

Comment

Today I was gonna overhaul the master brake cylinder but realised that If I started to squeeze the brake lever my brake pads and possibly the brake piston would fall out since my front end isn't assembled

I then thought; lets clean the carbs then. So I removed them but when I was in the process of splitting them I realised I would destroy the phillips head bolts whitout an impact driver. So guess what i'm gonna be buying tomorrow... :P

So nothing went according to plan since I also forgot to pickup sandpaper for wetsanding of the tank so I just started to polish stuff...
            Some results;

before shots of the rear indicator

after shots

Fork brace and front indicators;

Mirrors:

Wonder if I will get it together again

Comment

Looking good so far. Trust yourself, you'll get it together in no time and then you'll be amazed at what little time it really took.
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do you realize that with all that polishing and cleaning many of us would say your bike looks spiffy? An impact driver is a must.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It's odd that you have CV carbs. Does that bike have an 850 top end in it??

Also, at least over here, that gas cap cover was painted black most of the time. Duplicolor Low Gloss Black is a very very close to correct match for the black
                  Zook used on the triples and such.

Comment

It does, both the cylinder block and top end have been swapped at some point. Or maybe the entire engine. But I think 850's are shaft driven? Mine is chain.
                    Yeah I was trying to find a chrome gas cap cover but all I find are black. So I learned something there.
                    Personally I think the chrome looks better.

Charlie G: I'd say it's pretty spiffy

I've decided I want the bike to be red again. So armed with a bunch of suzuki red paint codes it's of to the shop tomorrow and find a good one!
                    I've also ordered new repro decals

Comment

Yours is the first chrome gas lid I've seen. I assumed someone had it done. I never liked the plain black they came with.
                      cg
                      Last edited by Charlie G; 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

More cleaning today, also wetsanded the fork and top/bottom of the carb.
                        "Only" 3 carbs and one fork left.....

But I don't think i'll put as much work into the the two middle carbs as with the outer ones, my fingertips are hurting bad enough as they are...

Comment

More stuff done today
                          Got some chemicals in the mail. Along with some new parts for the bike.

Tank cleaning and sealing kit. And a bottle of aluminium cleaner, more on this later.

First I started to change the headlight bucket and inner rings:

I gave the headlight a good clean with a citrus cleaner to remove some stickers and 10 year old dead bugs... Came out like new. So now I was ready to mount it all together but to it seems I have gotten the wrong outer trim ring... I have the headlight adjuster on the right side, while the ring I got had the hole on the left side! Bummer...

So after some cursing and swearing I moved along to cleaning another carb, then went crazy on the forks with 1200 grit wet sand and finished of with metal polish! Looking good!

I love it when a shine comes together

A quick mock up, as you can see I have a new "DOHC" emblem
                          Tomorrow I'll take on the valve cover!

Then I went on to tackle the wheel, so I could assemble the frontend again. I used the aliclean and all I can say is WOW!

I forgot to take a before pic but it was all black i suppose you could say....
                          I couldn't figure out how to remove the disc on the other side but I had some brushes so I could get in between.

I then assembled the front end and called it a night. Just hope I have done it right!

Comment

valve cover. 4 hours and still not satisfied.... but f... it, i'm gonna let it be and then I'll get it glassblasted come winter...

Comment

Very nice so far.
                              1983 GS1100E

Comment

Finally starting to see some results!
                                Two pics, one with flash, one without...

Don't be fooled though! It's amazing how much detail gets lost with the cellphone camera, so it actually looks nicer on pictures than in real life
                                The bottom end and cylinder block that is... They need a chemical bath and a respray

Comment

Working...
                                X