Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with pods - what to do with breather hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those with pods - what to do with breather hose?

Well - what do you do with the valve cover breather hose if you don't have an airbox to plug it into?

Make a longer hose and run it down where the battery vent hose exits in front of the swing-arm.

Eric

Comment

I also put a small K&N-style filter on the end.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        I also put a small K&N-style filter on the end.
        Why? Eventually it will become saturated and be really messy.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          Or plugged up and lead to oil BURNING.

Comment

Jimmy, I put a breather filter on I got from Supercheap and cable tied it to the frame under the fuel tank.

That will keep the vehicle police at bay as it doesn't vent straight out onto the ground, and I have definitely noticed a few drips from it after riding, so best to make sure if you vent it somewhere without a filter that it isn't directly in front of the rear wheel
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              Nope. The engine is fresh and has no blow-by. If it does get saturated I'll just clean it. I've been cleaning K&N filters for decades. I hate oil drips on my garage floor.

Comment

The "correct" thing to do is to run it to a small catch tank that has a side connection for the line & a top vent for fumes to escape...

Something like this... but good luck finding one small enough. I have mine routed under the seat to a K&N style filter that is held in a small pot (actually a paint can lid). I put towel in the pot & replace it every 6 months or so.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So an old coke can with the filter jammed in the hole on top and your breather hose going in the side would work like a charm then

sigpic

Comment

I run one of those cans on my turbo car because I run 14 pounds of pressure.
                    Mine actually sticks straight up under the tank, so if it did ever start it would drip back down into the valve cover (this is the GPz).

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      So an old coke can with the filter jammed in the hole on top and your breather hose going in the side would work like a charm then
                      Yep. I've not found anything off the shelf for our size but with a bit of creativity...

My friend used to run a Fosters can on his VW... (because he's tight )
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Pete, please note the commercial product has several features lacking in a coke can.
                        That one has a sight tube on it so you can tell how full it is.
                        They normally have a tap near the bottom so you can drain the fluid.
                        They come in all sorts of configurations and colours, that one appears to be aluminum, but they also come in plastic.
                        They have a breather with a filter on it.
                        Personally, if I were to do a can I would purchase one similar to that and cut it down and reweld it. Much better IMHO, and I use one on my car.

Comment

run it down and point it at the top of the chain where it enters the sprocket cover. cable tie it there ...any drips go onto the chain and keep it damp depending on how much blow by you have. My motors fresh so i get very little...seems to do the job though

Comment

I Will try a Hayden crank vent plus sometime in the future. Right now there is a K&N on the end of the vent hose.
                            Last edited by OldVet66; 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM.
                            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              Pete, please note the commercial product has several features lacking in a coke can.
                              That one has a sight tube on it so you can tell how full it is.
                              They normally have a tap near the bottom so you can drain the fluid.
                              They come in all sorts of configurations and colours, that one appears to be aluminum, but they also come in plastic.
                              They have a breather with a filter on it.
                              Personally, if I were to do a can I would purchase one similar to that and cut it down and reweld it. Much better IMHO, and I use one on my car.
                              That was most definitely a tongue in cheek comment

I would actually like to do something like that on mine because I'm getting a drip or two from the filter which drops on the back of the crank case and it looks like a few have blown back onto the battery also. If I do something about it, it will be a while away though, other things to do first...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X