• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about that!! Someone must have listened to our plight! Hahaha
    Nice find Dave!

Comment

And Ricks ... eschhh $195 to rebuild yours

Product # (20-309) Rebuilt OEM Style Suzuki Stator
      Description Rebuilt OEM Style Suzuki Stator: A $50.00 refundable core charge applies unless core is provided in advance. *This is a 12 pole stator.
      Price $ 195.00
      Image not available

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That would be me on the other thread mentioning heat... I would say Stator is the first suspect, rr is the 2nd followed by any wiring in between (and the fuse).

If your new stator came from Wazz was it for a Skunk? Could be the wrong stator then as stated.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.... must also be plenty of 850 spares bikes around with a rotor for you if you go that route.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That would be me on the other thread mentioning heat... I would say Stator is the first suspect, rr is the 2nd followed by any wiring in between (and the fuse).

If your new stator came from Wazz was it for a Skunk? Could be the wrong stator then as stated.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.... must also be plenty of 850 spares bikes around with a rotor for you if you go that route.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Good question Dan. Wazz had a 750 at some point and also parted out a 750 or two. So it is the correct stator but seems to share the same problem my stock stator has.

I'll go ahead and buy the new stator Redman pointed me to and see if that helps. I just need to sell a few things to raise some funds.
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Just do a total electrical system check up. I started with my ground connections, 3 grounds, battery to the engine case, RR to the frame or engine case, and RR to the battery. Check and clean all your electrical connections . Check your fuse panel as well, I found mine had corroded inside causing some of the problems I had. Check and clean the ground wire from the fuse box as well while you are working on your system. Repair any connection that looks questionable. I've done what some suggest to do, if you have burnt connections, change them over from the bullet types to the spade connectors. Did that with my new RR and stator.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                I'll go ahead and buy the new stator .....
                Greg,

You say it does charge when bike is cold.
                Maybe can run it till the charging falters, and then check the stator no load voltage and the ohm readings again. And compare to when cold. If appreciable changes, then can have better confidence in getting the new stator.

Dave

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Greg,

You say it does charge when bike is cold.
                  Maybe can run it till the charging falters, and then check the stator no load voltage and the ohm readings again. And compare to when cold. If appreciable changes, then can have better confidence in getting the new stator.

Dave

I'm going to do that today. I'll report back.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!
                  Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Greg...?

Anything to report on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Greg...?

Anything to report on this?
                      Thanks for checking. No, nothing new. Been busy with family and other projects. Hope to get back to the GS a little this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        Thanks for checking. No, nothing new. Been busy with family and other projects. Hope to get back to the GS a little this weekend.
                        How about family time in the garage ha har har
                        Say to father-in-law "You can join me in the fun in the garage. Here is a five gallon bucket on this side of the bike, and one on other side. You can sit on which ever one I am not sitting on. Look, these are the stator wires, and these are the R/R wires." ha ha har har

Comment

GBW,

I'm interested to see what you find out. I have a 79 GS850 with basically the same set up as you and everything checks out according to the stator papers, but it's still not charging properly.

I've been thinking that maybe the older 12 pole stators don't work well with the Honda RR's (SH232, 532, etc).

Does anyone have a 12 pole stator and a Honda RR that is functioning properly?

Perhaps duaneage knows?

Comment

Just found this so I guess that answers my question.

I have put 5k on my 79 850 with a Honda r/r with no problems to my oem 79 850 12 pole stator I got from rustybronco.

I check the vac and vdc periodically and all outputs are with limits(14.2v at 5k rpm's).

I also run a volt meter from showchrome and the output has not changed, knock on wood.

Comment

It's not difficult or expensive to build a "dummy" load to test a stator and prove it good or bad once and for all. Just use light bulbs.

Get 3 standard house light bulb sockets and wire them in a triangle (that's "Delta" for you electrical types). Wire all 3 of them positive to negative such that when you're finished you literally have a triangle of light sockets. Connect one wire from your stator to each of the 3 "corners" and put 60 or 75 watt light bulbs in the sockets (make all 3 of them the same wattage).

Start the engine and you should see each lamp light pretty much the same. Measure your stator voltage 3 times from stator wire to stator wire, wire A to B, wire A to C and wire B to C.

Comment

Nice idea. I'm going to do this.

It's not difficult or expensive to build a "dummy" load to test a stator and prove it good or bad once and for all. Just use light bulbs.

Get 3 standard house light bulb sockets and wire them in a triangle (that's "Delta" for you electrical types). Wire all 3 of them positive to negative such that when you're finished you literally have a triangle of light sockets. Connect one wire from your stator to each of the 3 "corners" and put 60 or 75 watt light bulbs in the sockets (make all 3 of them the same wattage).

Start the engine and you should see each lamp light pretty much the same. Measure your stator voltage 3 times from stator wire to stator wire, wire A to B, wire A to C and wire B to C.

Comment

Working...
                                X