My simplified polishing test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
    I wasn't saying he should have bought a new one, just that I would have.
    There was so much damage that I would have marked it as ruined and not consider it salvageable.
    But after seeing it brought back from the dead, I'm more aware of what can and can not be fixed.
    I just hope it will still hold oil. LOL It may be so thin now that it just soaks though like a brown paper sack. Then I'd have to put some duct tape on it.

Comment

Nawwww just double up on the decal.......LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
        I actually spent some time looking at sisal wheels online tonight. Look pretty interesting.
        Your parts look good but if you ever, one time ever, use a sisal wheel you'll never use anything else.
        Personally I dont go the extra step (white rogue) for the "chrome" look but more so the OEM look.

sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Okay spent 3-4 hours trying to polish my swing arm using a couple of the methods here, result...nothing gained but sore shoulders and almost burned out a bench motor. Had it bead blasted Monday and came out great, guy showed me what to use and how to get the brushed look and it looked great. Now all I have to do is do it and won't take but a few hours to finish it now. What ever that coating is that Suzuki used, I think it could be used for reentry on space craft lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Okay spent 3-4 hours trying to polish my swing arm using a couple of the methods here, result...nothing gained but sore shoulders and almost burned out a bench motor. Had it bead blasted Monday and came out great, guy showed me what to use and how to get the brushed look and it looked great. Now all I have to do is do it and won't take but a few hours to finish it now. What ever that coating is that Suzuki used, I think it could be used for reentry on space craft lol.
            Post a picture when you're done, Mr Bill.

Comment

Okay spent 3-4 hours trying to polish my swing arm using a couple of the methods here, result...nothing gained but sore shoulders and almost burned out a bench motor.
              Had it bead blasted Monday and came out great, guy showed me what to use and how to get the brushed look and it looked great. Now all I have to do is do it and won't take but a few hours to finish it now.
              What ever that coating is that Suzuki used, I think it could be used for reentry on space craft lol.
              I agree.
              After trying a few different items to polish/sand one of mine, I figured that blasting was the way to go.
              I have more important things to do in life than polish a swing-arm for the majority of it.

Eric

Comment

Pics will be posted when done.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Simple, get rid of the clear coat with paint stripper first.

Comment

Tried some paint stripper didn't even faze it. This coating was something else, never seen anything like it before.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Might be a clear anodized finish. Only thing I know of that will get rid of that is abrasion. Yep, have to sand/grind/polish it off. Might work to sandblast, but that might be a bit uneven.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The Suzuki clear coat comes off really easily with paint stripper. Get some REAL stripper, not that water based crap. The clear will bubble in about 30 seconds after applying the sauce.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It was aircraft stripper and nothing survives that. Telling ya this crap was something else, even the guy that bead blasted said, wow some tough sh*t!..anyways, the bead blasting did a nice job on it and been using my little air tool and getting some nice results.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I think I have the same stuff on my grab rail. Crazy tough.

Comment

Working...
                            X