No announcement yet.

For those that advocate using 87 octane in these bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Chevron 94 for my bike. But my motivation is primarily to avoid ethanol. It seems to me that someone posted a magazine article for the 1000g, written at the time of the bikes debut. I think they recommended premium as well. Did a search, but can't find it.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Here are a couple of websites that can help you track down gas stations that might still have non-oxygenated gas yet.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/ http://pure-gas.org/

I run what the manual says too, usually in the middle. Though I have noticed that at higher altitudes the bike seems to want a higher octane? I'm at 3,800/4,000ft now and do alot of my riding at 6,000 to 8,000ft+ in my area. With my idle set at about 1100 rpm, it will barely idle at the higher elevations, so I bumped it up to around 1400.

Lol, haven't heard the term 3/4 race cam in ages, that is a misnomer you valve duration and lift lol.
      Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

[QUOTE=mrbill5491;1619937]Here are a couple of websites that can help you track down gas stations that might still have non-oxygenated gas yet.

I run what the manual says too, usually in the middle. Though I have noticed that at higher altitudes the bike seems to want a higher octane? I'm at 3,800/4,000ft now and do alot of my riding at 6,000 to 8,000ft+ in my area. With my idle set at about 1100 rpm, it will barely idle at the higher elevations, so I bumped it up to around 1400.

Lol, haven't heard the term 3/4 race cam in ages, that is a misnomer you valve duration and lift lol.[/QUOTE]

I realize that, but that's what it was called then, it was an Abarth racing cam, but without as high of lift as what was termed full race then. I have no idea what the duration and lift were now, that was in '73.

Comment

I hear ya Dan, before I went to mechanics school in 73 we called them full or 3/4 cams as well until one student used that term in class, the instructor had a fit hahaha.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I run 89 in the summer, 87 in the winter. If I wanted to try to squeeze a couple extra HP out of it, I could run 91 and advance the timing a little but meh. I'm not really all that into speedin' around on my little 550.

Comment

Ride More Worry Less. Good advice..........................
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Dunno.

Benefits of living at high altitude maybe? I run 85 in both bikes and both vehicles. Not problems. Occaisionally running higher grade in the SUV.

Downside of living at high alt, I think our prices for 85 are akin to what others pay for 87. Here the only offerings at the petrol station are 85/87/90. 92 is not an option except for 1 station in town that also sells leaded gas still.....

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
                  Dunno.

Benefits of living at high altitude maybe? I run 85 in both bikes and both vehicles. Not problems. Occaisionally running higher grade in the SUV.

Downside of living at high alt, I think our prices for 85 are akin to what others pay for 87. Here the only offerings at the petrol station are 85/87/90. 92 is not an option except for 1 station in town that also sells leaded gas still.....
                  Wow. We only get 87/89/93 here. Or is it 92? I think Sunoco has more grades available, plus race gas, but I don't go there.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Yep, it's an elevation thing. 85 runs fine, unless you ride down in the flatland. But that lowland riding is way too boring to even contemplate, it's just not going to happen.
                    85 is fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Yep, it's an elevation thing. 85 runs fine, unless you ride down in the flatland. But that lowland riding is way too boring to even contemplate, it's just not going to happen.
                      85 is fine.
                      So lower octane is better for higher elevations?

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

You don't need as much octane up here, as the air is less dense. Wide open throttle lets in less air than at sea level, so the tendency to detonate is lessened. 85 is enough for these low compression engines.
                        Another way to look at it, if you have 20% less dense air, it is exactly the same as having 20% lower compression ratio, so lower octane fuel is just fine.
                        It also helps that it's not likely to be 110 degrees F at 10,000 feet.
                        The flip side of this is we get less power, all normally aspirated engines make noticeably less power up here than they do at sea level.
                        The higher you go, the less power the engine can make.
                        A 1000 cc bike at 10,000 ft goes about like a 650 at sea level, without the high RPM kick.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

[QUOTE=DanTheMan;1619966]
                          Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Here are a couple of websites that can help you track down gas stations that might still have non-oxygenated gas yet.

Lol, haven't heard the term 3/4 race cam in ages, that is a misnomer you valve duration and lift lol.[/QUOTE]

I realize that, but that's what it was called then, it was an Abarth racing cam, but without as high of lift as what was termed full race then. I have no idea what the duration and lift were now, that was in '73.
                          Thanks for the links. Good stuff. But if the EPA sets the rules, how do they get away with it ? Not that I'm complaining.
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                            I ran high octane, leaded fuel in my '70 Fiat 850 Spider
                            Wow, somebody else that has been shoe-horned into an 850 Spyder.

I had a '69 model for a couple of months until someone turned left in front of me.

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                            I use Chevron 94 for my bike. But my motivation is primarily to avoid ethanol.
                            Avoiding ethanol is probably OK, but I'm not sure that using 94 octane gas is the way to do it.

Higher-octane gas has fewer BTUs per gallon and burns slower, so you will not get any more power by simply putting it in your tank.

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
                            I run 89 in the summer, 87 in the winter. If I wanted to try to squeeze a couple extra HP out of it, I could run 91 and advance the timing a little but meh. I'm not really all that into speedin' around on my little 550.
                            As I just mentioned above, you won't get any more power by simply putting higher-octane fuel in the tank, even if you do advance the timing so it can all be burned by the proper time.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              You don't need as much octane up here, as the air is less dense. Wide open throttle lets in less air than at sea level, so the tendency to detonate is lessened. 85 is enough for these low compression engines.
                              Another way to look at it, if you have 20% less dense air, it is exactly the same as having 20% lower compression ratio, so lower octane fuel is just fine.
                              It also helps that it's not likely to be 110 degrees F at 10,000 feet.
                              The flip side of this is we get less power, all normally aspirated engines make noticeably less power up here than they do at sea level.
                              The higher you go, the less power the engine can make.

A 1000 cc bike at 10,000 ft goes about like a 650 at sea level, without the high RPM kick.
                              That much is true.
                              I have a fun car that gets the front wheels up in the first two gears at Sea level and at 5,000 feet, it barely gets the wheels up in first!
                              As a racing buddy said "It feels like the car is chained to a tree doesn't it?"
                              That car, STILL REQUIRES more than 93 octane to avoid audible knocking just like at Sea level.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                I look at it this way.....30 years ago when my bike was produced there was none of this high octain gas was there ? So why use it today, I put in the cheap stuff, now mind you I have not filled up the tank in a long time, but once I do, it will be the low octain stuff.....

I ahve been known to be wrong in the past, and this might be one of those times, but I think I will be safe, and at $1.50 a litre for the good stuff, well NO Thanks....my SUV get's enough of that already
                                Back in the late '60s and throughout most of the '70s you could buy 100 octane at any station. It's what was called Ethyl.

Comment

Working...
                                X