I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

So I've got me a 78 GS 1000 that I suspect the idle circuit is gunked up. So that has prevented me from riding it as all this year. Boo! So I started a thread (can't find it now) and you guys started trying to talk me into doind it myself. Well I was going to till i talked a buddy of mine who told me to just bring it to a shop since I can't sync the carbs and if i don't sync it it'll run like garbage. So it's going in to get the carbs done and was thinking to get it to run properly for once I may want to do a few more things. Was reading the service manual and it recommended checking the contact breaker point??(have no clue what this is will google after writing this), ignition timing, and valve clearance. While I'm at it anyone know of anything else I should add to my to do list. carbs are gettin done tomorrow and I'm doing the rest this weekend with my buddy (and the service manual's) help. Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2012, 10:02 PM.

Unfortunately, I don't know nothin about birthin no carburetors.
    But I do know that if you click on your site user name-- go to your page-- look for right in the box that has your avatar fand click on the words "Show all statistics"--- then look left in new window that pops up and click on words "Find all threads started by_____"
    well, you can find your old post information.
    May the idle circuit force be with you.

Comment

didn't know that. thanks

Comment

That can't be fixed, but I might want to help you out by buying it for parts.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Keep the site linked in my sig handy at all times! BassCliff has gathered and created the best resource there is on these bikes.

Comment

Go back to your original thread read it through and do it your self, it is not that hard and there is plenty of info and help here on the site. If you bring it to a shop how are you going to learn how to fix your 34 year old bike the next time? And unless you have a one of a kind there WILL be a next time it is , in laymen s terms and the state of NH an ANTIQUE, and ALL old things stop working properly eventually.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              Go back to your original thread read it through and do it your self, it is not that hard and there is plenty of info and help here on the site. If you bring it to a shop how are you going to learn how to fix your 34 year old bike the next time? And unless you have a one of a kind there WILL be a next time it is , in laymen s terms and the state of NH an ANTIQUE, and ALL old things stop working properly eventually.
              What he said! ^

Comment

I am doing it myself. Just not the carbs. I can't sync them. Don't have the right tool for it and it cost the same to have someone clean and sync as it does to have them just sync it. Valve clearance, points, helicoil on oil pan, and my turn signals are all getting done by me and a friend.
                I'm just been trying tho see if there's anything else that I should do get it tip top but after much reading and basscliffs website I figue I should have all my bases covered. And Combat Nice Try. I think that's the second or third time now you've told me that. And No I think I'll take that old parts bike and ride her till the parts start falling off.... Then put them back on....Then ride her some more...repeat...repeat.

Comment

For the money you party the shop you could rebuild six carb sets

Comment

And buy the d sync tool

Comment

Holy crap! I can't believe i'm really doing this!!!

Just got done talking the mechanic. We were talking bout the bike before we loaded it up into his truck and it didn't feel right. I didn't trust him and he kept talking about shortcuts. At one point he told me I would be better off taking a hacksaw to my airbox and putting on pods. So my buddy Dave that lives across the street came to the rescue. He called the guy out on how it needs to be done and told me to do it myself. So I sent the mechanic away I'm getting ready to order the carb rebuild kit and doing it all in my garage. Holy sh*t I have never been so scared or nervous in my life. Everything I "fix" I end up breaking more. I hope I can do this without messing up my bike. The work starts Monday and I'll be taking pics and after I figure out how to post them I should have them on this thread. So to do list in full is rebuild carbs, adjust valve clearance, check points/ ignition timing, install helicoil on oil drain plug, new front/rear break pads, new rotor in the rear, and fix turn signals. And i have to do it all for under $300 including buying the tools necessary. Can it be done? Wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                        Just got done talking the mechanic. We were talking bout the bike before we loaded it up into his truck and it didn't feel right. I didn't trust him and he kept talking about shortcuts. At one point he told me I would be better off taking a hacksaw to my airbox and putting on pods. So my buddy Dave that lives across the street came to the rescue. He called the guy out on how it needs to be done and told me to do it myself. So I sent the mechanic away I'm getting ready to order the carb rebuild kit and doing it all in my garage. Holy sh*t I have never been so scared or nervous in my life. Everything I "fix" I end up breaking more. I hope I can do this without messing up my bike. The work starts Monday and I'll be taking pics and after I figure out how to post them I should have them on this thread. So to do list in full is rebuild carbs, adjust valve clearance, check points/ ignition timing, install helicoil on oil drain plug, new front/rear break pads, new rotor in the rear, and fix turn signals. And i have to do it all for under $300 including buying the tools necessary. Can it be done? Wish me luck.
                        Don't buy carb rebuild kits. They cost mucho bucks for a lot of junk! Just buy the o-rings from Robert Bar, one our members here, all that stuff plus pictorial step by step guides are listed here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

O-ring kits here: http://www.cycleorings.com/

If you need new bowl gaskets, order them here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=SM000

Just trying to save you some money (so you can party?), and some grief.
                        ON EDIT: Don't helicoil the oilpan drain plug hole. Buy an oversize(metric) self tapping drain plug from your local auto parts, like O"Reilly, Napa, Auto Zone etc. They'll know what you're talking about. when you drain the oil, take the old plug with you to match up for oversize.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM. Reason: more money/time saving suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                          I'm getting ready to order the carb rebuild kit and doing it all in my garage.
                          What "rebuild kit" are you ordering?

Hopefully NOT any of the kits you find on eBay for about $25 each.

Nope, the only "kit" you need is what you get from cycleorings.com.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Listen to these dudes!

I've used carb rebuild kits on my old VW, and they worked great. So I went ahead and ordered some before I found out they were a bad idea. The Cycle O Rings kits are great. The only reason to order a rebuild kit is if your pilot fuel screws are bad. Otherwise, just get the gaskets.

Comment

will do. gettin ready for work now. will order from cycle when I get home. and no, she's not a junker. Just an old girl who needs a little love
                              Can't wait till Monday!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X