No announcement yet.

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you measure them, or are you using the printed specs?

Comment

PM Ghostgs1 (see his thread in the GS Services section).
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        Did you measure them, or are you using the printed specs?
        I'm going off the printed specs. I don't have calipers.

Comment

You should get some calipers and measure them. They are rarely the printed thickness.

Comment

Calipers lie on shims.
            Find a micrometer.

Eric

Comment

Micrometer > calipers > printed thickness.

Comment

So the carbs are done and the valve clearance is done. So i decide to go for a spin and see how she runs. Idle is good but i still lose power when I take off. And i still have that weird vibration. So i adjusted and lubed my chain and went for another ride. Both problems are still there and now i notice my chain is loose again. So i put the bike in nutral put her on the center stand and started spinning the tire by hand. The chain gets tight then loose as i spin it. Could i have messed up the alignment of the rear tire and that is causing this or is the sproket on the rear tire out of round and need to be replaced? Would this cause my power issue or the weird vibration issue? What should i do next?

Comment

My guess would be that a P.O. replaced the chain without replacing the sprockets. That would cause the chain to get "tight" on the teeth due to the sprockets being stretched and the chain being new. I would definately think that could cause your vibration issue. I've ridden a bike with this problem and it causes the bike to sort of surge as it rides forward.

An easy way to tell is to put a dial gause or a bent coat hanger in a fixed position pointing at the sprocket. Rotate the wheel and see it has any humps in it both up and down or left to right.

I highly doubt the sprocket is out of round. It would take some serious force to do that. However, I'm no expert!

Good Luck!
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Guess what. She's still not running. Due to school work and family i haven't had time to mess with her in a few weeks. Actually probably over a month. So my brother suprissed me by ordering me new sprockets and chain but got the wrong stuff so i have to send it back. So i'm sending it back but since he ordered from bike bandit and i'm stuck with store credit i don't know if i should just stay with the stock sizes or go with the conversion. I have bout a week till i have to make up my mind. So whats easier to do? I need to get this bike up asap. I wanna ride before summer is over.

Comment

I like to get the liter bikes closer to a 2.56:1 final drive ratio myself. (4,200 rpm @ 72-75 mph.)
                      Something to think about before buying new sprockets.

Eric

Comment

I have an 82 GS750T- supposedly have 15 and 41 teeth sprockets and 96 link chain but can't find the conversion for teeth to do the 530 change.
                        I may have to go with stock if it stays a puzzle, any ideas?
                        I'm satisfied with the power, but lighter and faster wouldn't be a problem either!

Comment

I'm starting to lose it!

AAAHHHHH!!!!!! I just want to freeking ride. The summer is almost over and the bike is still not running. Granted I couldn't work on her due to no time but now I have time to get her running but is I keep running into problems.

The latest issue is the chain. I bought new sprockets, 17 tooth front, 49 tooth rear, and a 530 110 link X ring chain. I put on the new sprockets and found that the holes in the old spacer that I was going to reuse dont match up with the holes for the new front sprocket and the chain isn't long enough. I'm now compleatly broke without a cent to spend on the bike yet I need her running as a second veichal when I go back to school in the fall. I'm starting to freak out cause I don't know what to do.
                          As far as the spacer I was thinking about either drilling new holes into the new sprocket so I could screw the spacer in place or screwing the one screw in so I can JBweld it in place.
                          As far as the chain, I can't return it and can't buy a new one. Can I add links to the chain I have? How do I go about doing this? Any ideas on how to get her running cheaply? Please Help.
                          Pics to be posted tonight after I get off work.

Comment

It's been an insane week but I'm getting to the bike today and with some help from my friend we should be able to get her running today. Managed to get a new longer chain but the peice that goes on the front sprocket still gets me. Here's some pics of the part I am curious about. It seems as if it is some sort of spacer to keep the front sprocket from wiggling around. I put it in my new smaller sprocket and the holes don't line up. Would it be ok if I were to drill new holes so it did? This bit has me a bit stumped.

This is the new sprocket and the piece that has me puzzled.

Comment

Working...
                            X