No announcement yet.

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plate is in your top picture, top/middle. See that phillips screw that goes sideways? That holds the plate in. Small vise grips work well for removing it.

Comment

Awesome! Well I think I'm in for the night and the in-laws will be here all day tomorrow so I guess it'll have to wait till Monday (unless i find a way to sneak off hehe). I ordered the carb o ring, intake o ring, and fasteners from cycle-o-rings, and a carbtune from Morgan carbtune. Going to go out and get a carb bath monday. Should I get the top and bowl gaskets? I'm leaning towards yes cause I don't want to need it and not have it. Can I get these without getting a carb kit? Where should I look? Also what do you guys think about pods? I'm looking at K&N but they cost over $100. All the other ones cost around $12 is it ok to get the cheapo brand???

Just cause I love this pic. Don't know why I just do.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2012, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Yes, get the gaskets from Z1.
        Don't bother with the cheapo pods, they are hard to tune and filter very poorly and inconsistently.
        K&N and APE both make the correct pods and are reuseable for life. APEs are a bit cheaper.
        You will also need a DynoJet Stage 3 jet kit.

Comment

Get the carb bowl and top gaskets from SIRIUS CONSOLIDATED. 20 bucks for all 4 top and all 4 bowl gaskets. Go here and look on page 5...And guys, they have lots of other GS carb stuff as well...fuel tees, transfer tubes, slides, diaphrams etc etc et.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-08-2012, 01:51 AM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The second one.

Comment

Damn. This is getting pricey. Ahh well think i might have to wait to get the pods a few weeks but i can get the jet kit. I can get the chepo pods for a few weeks and then just resync when i get the k&n right? Or am i better off waiting till next month when i have the cash and getting the k and n off the bat?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                Damn. This is getting pricey. Ahh well think i might have to wait to get the pods a few weeks but i can get the jet kit. I can get the chepo pods for a few weeks and then just resync when i get the k&n right? Or am i better off waiting till next month when i have the cash and getting the k and n off the bat?
                Just wait and get the goods ones. The cheap ones have a reputation for being difficult to jet. No need to do the same work twice. If the APEs fit they are cheaper at $60, but APE's site does not show that they fit the VM carbed bikes.

Comment

Oh and dan the man, i was think helicoil cause of bassclifs website. He has a tutorial on how to fix a striped out drain plug. I have the plug your talking about in there now and it still has a slow leak.
                  Get the next size up. They come in a +1 and a +2 size.

Trying to figure out how to post pics
                  Yea! It worked!
                  Before you hit the "Submit Reply" button, try using the "Preview Post" button, instead. You will get to see your post exactly as it will show when you hit "Submit". If something is not quite right, you can drop down below the post and edit it. Hit "Preview" again to make sure your changes are what you wanted.. When you are happy with the results, then you can hit "Submit" for all of us to see.

Damn. This is getting pricey.
                  Join the club of those who get pods just because they get frustrated removing the airbox.

You realize how much cheaper and easier it is to clean the carbs properly ONE TIME, leave the airbox in there and not worry about it for several years? That's right. Once you get the carbs done and installed, you won't need to touch them for several years, so that "PITA" experience is really just a one-time thing.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[You realize how much cheaper and easier it is to clean the carbs properly ONE TIME, leave the airbox in there and not worry about it for several years? That's right. Once you get the carbs done and installed, you won't need to touch them for several years, so that "PITA" experience is really just a one-time thing. ]

As Steve has stated it only has to be done every few years, plus you don't have to play the jetting game. You could also replace all rubber parts on the air box to make the task a little easier.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yea, I've been shopping around and can't find it any cheaper. Don't want to put any inferior products on my bike and can't afford K&N, at least not now. Prob best I just forget about it and get to work. Going to the garage now. Will have pics of progress in a few hrs. THANKS!

Comment

quick note

have 2 of the slide assemblies out. 1&3 are stuck. trying to be gentle without success. will keep at it. any tips appreciated.

Comment

Your 1978 should have VM carbs. There is no Dynojet kit for those. HTH

Comment

Here's the jet kit for a 78 gs 1000. http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/suzuki.aspx
                            Although I'm too broke to do the pods and jet kit it does exist.

Now I got #3 slide out using a bit of force. #1 is just p!ssing me off so I think I'm going to have a smoke take a deep breath then try again.

Comment

Victory for now

I got the slides out. there was a knick on the bottom of the slides 1&3. I had to use some steel wool to sand it down then they poped out. Now I can continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X