No announcement yet.

My rebuild thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might check the float for cracks or pinholes. I had to replace a leaky one on mine a while back. Can be easy to tell even if you can't see it, just shake the float when you have them out, you'll hear the gas rattling around in there. Might not be it, but easy to check just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
      Are the fLoat heights the same? Is the fuel level in the bowls the same? Is a float needle sticking? Does fuel pour out of the overflow?

I didn't read all the posts////....just read your last post....
      Fuel is not pouring out of the over flow but i'm not sure if the fuel levels or the floats are off. do you guys have a genius way to check?

I would like to do anything i possibly can before i pull my carbs since they're a b**** to pull out and put back with the air box on this bike...

I wish there was a place that i could get the orings for the carbs locally because the ones that i got from cycle o-rings seems to be too big for the mixture screws to me. I wish that i could just try putting them onto the mixture screw physically..

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
        I wish there was a place that i could get the orings for the carbs locally because the ones that i got from cycle o-rings seems to be too big for the mixture screws to me. I wish that i could just try putting them onto the mixture screw physically..
        Hmmm... can you clarify what you mean by "putting them onto the mixture screw physically"?

Do you mean you don't have them seated in the groove under the head of the mixture screw?

Sorry the photo's a bit fuzzy, but this is the best I have. This is how the O ring should sit on the mixture screw:

If they're not like that, that could be the source of your problem...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
          Fuel is not pouring out of the over flow but i'm not sure if the fuel levels or the floats are off. do you guys have a genius way to check?

I would like to do anything i possibly can before i pull my carbs since they're a b**** to pull out and put back with the air box on this bike...

If you use a stubby screwdriver to remove the float bowl screws (assuming you still have the JIC phillips type screws) and carfeully remove the float bowl without tearing the gasket, you could check the float setting by lightly raising the float until it just touches the float needle without compressing the float spring. Using a caliper measure the distance from the carb body to the bottom of the float.
          I suppose you could use the drain plug to drain the bowls and measure and compare the amount of fuel that comes out.
          There is no way to adjust the float height without removing the float bowl whether the carbs are on or off the bike.
          On the bright side of things- at least there are only two carbs to deal with compared to four carbs of the larger GS's.

Comment

Replace those philips head with allen head screws and not only will they not chew out so easily and look better but it makes it incredibly easy to pull the float bowls off with the carbs in place. I've done this several times now... And as stated, just be careful with the gasket.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Hmmm... can you clarify what you mean by "putting them onto the mixture screw physically"?

Do you mean you don't have them seated in the groove under the head of the mixture screw?

Sorry the photo's a bit fuzzy, but this is the best I have. This is how the O ring should sit on the mixture screw:

If they're not like that, that could be the source of your problem...
              haha honestly pete i'm not sure what i meant by "putting them onto the mixture screws physically" I do have them on the screws correctly though. the rings just seem a little too big... and i'm certain that i put the correct ons onto my mixture screws

As for the the carbs i totally forgot that i can drop the bowls off without actually removing them from the bike. I have replaced my hardware with allanware so this should be an easy check! I'll report back when i have a minute to pull them off.

I'm going to attempt to return the float heights to the factory or clymer manual spec.

Thanks guys!
              John

Comment

Working...
              X