No announcement yet.

My rebuild thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I greased everything when putting my wheels on... bearings, spacers, whatever the axle passed through.

As for cleaning, I think that will do it, although I don't think we have Simple Green here.

Mine got a re-paint and I wire wheeled the old paint then sanded the bits I couldn't get to with the wheel.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

great I greased everything!

The bike is really coming together! I was supposed to write a paper for school but I had to get outside and do something so here's the list for today!

put the back and front wheels back on.

I had to wrestle the exhaust pipe for about an hour to get it back on... I just hope that the gaskets are going to last because i don't want to do that again!

Emptied and removed the brake lines and squeezed a bunch of brown goo out of the caliper and cleaned up the master cylinder. The new line is half way built.

I removed my broken old throttle cable and put on a new one. i'm still not sure about the proper routing so it's not really set in place yet.

then i did a bunch of cleaning so right now the bike is looking tip top!

I started to take off my engine top to do valve adjustments and realized that i had been at it for way too long ha so now it's back to home work.

I'll get some pictures for you guys. The bike is looking beautiful!

Comment

Here are some pictures of the bike after I got it all together yesterday!

I cleaned all of this up. The chain was a mess some spots barely bent at all So thank you guys so much for the kerosene and dupont lube suggestions it looks new to me now! Also there are the new IRC tires that i had put on. I replaced the brake pads and now the rear end really tip top!

IMG_7039 by John stanford Rogers, on Flickr

Here is the front with the new tire. I replaced the brake lines, They're a little longer than i would like but i probably wont bother shortening them. I cleaned the master cylinder and got a bunch of brown muck out of the caliper as well!
        All clean now.

IMG_7038 by John stanford Rogers, on Flickr

And here is a picture of the whole bike. i've got sync the carbs because they seem to be struggling just a bit and the throttle cable is the wrong size so i'm taking mine back.

I checked the valve clearances and three of the four were in spec and the fourth one was just a little tight so i'm going to replace it very soon here once i pick up some calipers. I think my carbs are running a bit lean because of the blue pipes but the pipes have always bee a bit blued from the PO...

IMG_7037 by John stanford Rogers, on Flickr

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been helping me get this bike into such great shape, by showing you a photo of the completed (or nearly completed) bike.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Mate nice work, she looks real good, you should be proud

They're jetted a bit lean from the factory, so don't be surprised if they're just stock at present. Search for the highest idle method and get the details of BassCliff's site and that will probably take care of it.

sigpic

Comment

So i went ahead and changed the throttle cable then I went to work on the carbs.

it seems like i couldn't get the idle to change at all when I adjusted the air fuel screw... So what i ended up doing was taking the bike and riding it real aggressively for a couple minutes then stop and checked the spark plugs. i Kept adjusting until i got the plugs to start turning out a light brown color/ tan yellow color. that's where i'm at now.

I made sure to lightly clean off the deposits every time as it turned black when the mixture was too rich. correct me if i'm wrong: the screw adjusts air so turning it in (right) would be less air/ more fuel. where turning it out (left) would mean more air/ less fuel?

The clymer said it was an air screw but i know that there are also fuel screws...

Comment

It's actually a mixture screw, so in is leaner and out is richer... by default from the factory they're typically a little too far in and therefore a little lean...

sigpic

Comment

Hmm well i doubt that it hasn't been messed with in the past given that the bike runs much smoother at around 1 and 1/4 out on both.

Do you know what the color of spark plug means pete? i would get some pictures but unfortunately it's raining hard here for the day.

Oh yeah i've got to change my oil and filter because I flooded my engine with fuel... hopefully i'll learn before it happens a third time...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
                  Hmm well i doubt that it hasn't been messed with in the past given that the bike runs much smoother at around 1 and 1/4 out on both.

Do you know what the color of spark plug means pete? i would get some pictures but unfortunately it's raining hard here for the day.

Oh yeah i've got to change my oil and filter because I flooded my engine with fuel... hopefully i'll learn before it happens a third time...
                  1 1/4 out? That's leaner than stock typically.

Look up the highest idle method of tuning on BassCliff's site which should help sort that out for you.

There's also better pic's of spark plug colours on there I believe, but white is lean, black is rich, and a nice tan colour is spot on.

Bugger on the fuel in the oil though! Fuel tap left on pri or something more drastic like your fuel tap is on its way out?

sigpic

Comment

i was wondering if anyone has used this carb sync system http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-S...#ht_2064wt_904

I'm going to be doing a valve adjustment tomorrow and i would like to get my carbs properly synced after I do that. i know everyone raves about the morgan carb tune but it's a bit pricey for me right now so i was wondering what your experience was with these.

Thanks in advance.
                    also i've been riding the bike daily for a few weeks and it has been completely reliable.

I washed the bike properly the other day and she looks better than she has since i got her.

Comment

I checked my spark plugs this morning after a longer ride. one is nice and tan colored, but the other one is black (but not wet). so i cleaned the plug and turned the mixture screw in just a little.

My concern is this. the mixture screw on the left side is only about 2/3 of a turn out from seated. and i might even need to go in a little more to lean the mixture. Should i replace this mixture screw so that i can have it around 2.5 turns out?

Comment

Don't worry about the mixture screws too much until you have them sync'd up nicely.

Once they're in sync, you will probably find it's a whole different story.

Before I sync'd mine, I thought the slightly uneven header lengths on my 2 to 1 were requiring me to have a different pilot in each carb. After the sync it was just fine and dandy with the stock pilots.

As for the sync tool, don't worry what the gauges read, just make sure they're accurate to each other and when sync'ing, all that matters is that each side reads as close to the same as possible.

sigpic

Comment

hey i know its been a long time since i've posted but thats because my bike has been running like a dream! I just finished doing a valve clearance adjustment and everything is looking golden. But, i've run into another problem. I'm trying to diognose it but i can't be sure since the bike has never done this before.

So... i filmed a video for you guys!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

IF you look closely you can see that i'm really revving the throttle but the rpms stay right around 2k. and if you listen closely you can hear that the exhaust sounds really funny like its puttering when normally it has a very clear sound to it...

Any advice from you guys would be awesome thanks!

John

Comment

Your only running on one cylinder and the other isn't kicking in at all or one is really rich and the other is keeping it going.

Check for spark on both sides.

Pull one plug cap and put a spare plug in ground it and see if the engine will run on one cylinder or the other.

After listening to your video with headphones i can tell there is one point where you rev'd it the highest and that was the only time it kicked in on two cylinders for just a second.

You either have a problem with:

Spark
                            Fuel
                            valves

Could be just a bad plug or coil or ignitor etc...

Could be one of the diaphragms are not seated properly.

Prime just allows gas to flow constantly.

ON and RES are supposed to be vacuum operated but the diaphram could be leaking and allowing one cylinder to suck gas in.

You could have a stuck needle valve, so its flooding that one cylinder all the time.
                            Last edited by Mekanix; 06-06-2012, 07:02 PM.
                            Stephen.
                            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Yup, that sounded somewhat like mine did today when it ran on one cylinder on the way home again...

In my case I'm pretty sure I have a dodgy connection relating to the right coil or power feed to the Dynatek as it's always that cylinder that stops, and then it will start again for no apparent reason.

sigpic

Comment

Ok so i checked the spark plugs for spark and i'm only getting spark on my right side. on the left side the plug looks like it is fouled since it is all black and smells of fuel. it's not wet though. I'm going to switch the plugs so the good plug is on the bad side and see if the coil is still working properly. If it is working i'll get a new plug to replace the old fouled on then i'll try asap to get a carb sync so that i don't just ruin this plug as well.

When you say diaphragm, do you mean the black bellow looking thing in the top section of the carburetor? or is this within the engine? i'm certain that all of the shims were seated properly before i stitched her back up but maybe something happened while riding?

Comment

Working...
                                X