Speedometer not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer not working

I've looked at every post related to the speedo not working and I haven't come across my particular problem, so here it goes:

I recently bought a 1982 GS1100GL and the speedo already didn't work. The PO said it just needed a new cable, which I purchased and installed. It still didn't work. Then I thought it was the gauge itself since the cable rotated with the wheel, so I bought one off of ebay. This was before I read that I could check a speedo with a drill, which I did to both the old one and the "new" one and they both worked but did not work with the new or old cable when installed on the bike. What is going on here? I lubed the speedo and nothing changed, lubed the cable and nothing changed. Could the speedo drive at the wheel be out even though it spins the cable? I also checked and double checked that both ends of the cable were installed correctly. Still nothing. On the old speedo I would get a loud whirring noise coming from the gauge itself, but the needle wouldn't move. I'm not hearing the loud whirring from the new speedo, but I can hear something going on in it. This is driving me nuts! I've done everything suggested in other posts, except for getting a new speedo drive. But according to other posts, the fact that the drive turns the cable rules out the drive as the source of the problem.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

So the wheel turns the speedo end of the cable, and a drill test operates both speedo's, can you drive the speedo with the drill through the cable from the wheel end? Basically making sure both ends are meshing with their corresponding drive gears. Also check the parts where the turning cable mates with drive or speedo gears and make sure they are not worn in such a way that the cable can slip or skip, I say this because of the whirring noises.

Patience and Persistence will Prevail

Comment

Update: I checked the speedo out this morning according to killer2600's recommendations and found the following:
      - drill test at drive end results in speedo working
      - DRIVE TURNS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (?) WHEN MOVING FORWARD BUT SPEEDO WORKS WHEN TURNED CLOCKWISE WITH THE DRILL??????????? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Comment

Can you post a picture of the speedo drive unit installed on the bike?

Eric

Comment

Here is a pic of the GS1100 front wheel on the right side. The drive is on the right side. Could a PO have installed the drive on the wrong side? That would solve the problem. I just noticed that on my GS550 the drive is on the left side.

Comment

Yup. That is on the wrong side. When you switch it to the left hand side of the bike, check the tire as well. They are usually directional, so you may have to remount the tire as well.

Comment

As I don't have a way to lift the front tire, I took it into the shop where they also noticed that the wheel was flip-flopped but the tire was on the right way! I can't wait until I'm done dealing with the PO's screw-ups and get on with my own.

Thank you to all who replied. Your suggestions eventually led me to the solution!

Comment

Working...
              X