Can JBweld fix my tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can JBweld fix my tank?

If I knew how to braise, this would be easy.
    Since I don't, what is the best method to fill these holes?

Solder works well on small holes.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I thought about solder, but I'm not very good at that either.
      I'll give it a try. Any particular solder?
      Since it will be painted, acid core should be okay, right?

Comment

It worked on my tank. I accidentally drilled through the tank when I tried to remove the brackets that hold the emblem. I filled it with JB Weld and it has been fine a year later.

Comment

I wouldn't trust JB weld for very long. It's an epoxy and alcohols such as ethanol soften epoxies.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Seal the tank with Caswell epoxy coating on the inside. De-rust first if necessary, use putty over the holes to keep from losing your re-rusting solution and to prevent the Caswell from leaking through. Caswell is a hard-shell epoxy tank lining.

Then sand, fill, and paint to your desire.

Comment

i brazed my tank with luck..but was worse hole then pictured...

after a whole brazing rod an the tank shooting across the shop i decided to buy a used one

Comment

Caswell is probably the best way to go. But if you just want to seal the holes, try this stuff.

PPG PRC-DeSoto PR-1422 B-2 aircraft fuel tank sealant is easy to apply, flexible, durable and retains its elastomeric properties.
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

As Wally says soft solder is a very good way of doing it, the area has to be spotlesly clean and use proper old fashioned flux and an big old fashioned solder iron that way you can spread it about because the holes you can see are not the only ones that are there soon to break through, really I would braze it if you can p**s, you can braze all the same principle, its all in the preparation.
                  I did an old tank that I was going to chuck out, that was brazed all around and all where I thought it might be thin. A very satisfying hour. If you really feel you can't do it then get someone else to do it. These tanks are getting thin on the ground these days so really doing the job properly is an investment.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I like the Caswell idea, but I'll save that for a later date.
                    For now, I'll try solder. Then sand it down and primer it.
                    I need to get the bike running soon, to justify spending more money on it.

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

POR15 do a kit as well.... fairly cheap.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Im pretty sure JB weld would work just fine.

From the JBWeld site:
                        Q: Is J-B Weld resistant to water and/or gasoline?

A: When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, see our J-B Stik or Waterweld product information.

Comment

Why not JB the holes..then do the coating as suggested..then sand down the JB and leave it at that.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ethanol is not a petroleum product. I used JB weld in an Autolite carburetor a few years ago, it softened up in only a month or so. It never did actually fail I guess, but it was soft enough to dig a finger nail in it. I did notice that it hardened up again after I had it on my shelf for a while.
                            -1980 GS1100 LT
                            -1975 Honda cb750K
                            -1972 Honda cl175
                            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

jb works on about everything but i tried it on my truck gastank, it peeled off, i also tried the gas tank repair 2 part stuff ,its just like jb weld. it didnt work either,maybe fiberglass then jbweld then bondo,/primer/ paint

its in a real bad area , because gas sets down there all the time, and if it builds pressure inside the tank,it will push out the epoxy, so maybe good fiberglass, like they made race tanks out of or some coating inside will prevent further damage, i hate to see you go through all the work and it fail on ya

Comment

Working...
                              X