No announcement yet.

Can JBweld fix my tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searched my pic files and heres my answer..I mig welded the holes shut, JB Welded over the welds as a micro crack sealer, then coated the inside and finish sanded the JB down..sent to Nvr2old for paint.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I was going to solder it, but my iron was dead.
      So I JBwelded earlier today as a temporary solution.
      I'm sanding it down in the morning and then I'll apply primer.
      I'll order some Caswell and do it right before painting in a few weeks.

I'm also looking around locally for a cheap tank.
      If I find a good one to use, I was thinking of modifying this one for a custom look.
      Maybe cutting it down and adding knee pads.

Comment

You can heat the tank with a propane torch and while its hot apply the solder (I think, this is what I would do anyways). Just make sure the tank has ZERO gas in it.

Comment

Vapor bombs...yeeeehaaa.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

tig/mig weld tank .............

hi guys ,,,on my old gs1000e tank i tried cold weld by loctite ,,,it seamed to do the job until 1 morning i came out toooooo to the shed ,,yep it was ****ing out ,,,really didn,t work ,, if you cann,t weld ,get somebody to tig or mig weld it i did a spare tank with a tig ,,turned out sweet,,, no holes or stuffing around ,,,regards oldgrumpy

Comment

The tank that was on my bike had several JBWelds, and fiberglass from PO, worked a while then leaked again, I just replaced my tank, but kept the old one, going to chisel and grind all the old crap off, and weld/braze it up properly one day. Remember, fuel tanks expand and contract besides the fuel attacking and any additives from inside. Thats why solder/braze/weld is the best solution.

Comment

+1 Braze/weld with a torch... maybe JB would hold if the gas didn't touch it ?
                but whatever you do, use POR-15 after.
                . It will seal everything.
                MAKE SURE you remove the sending unit !
                Find it on ebay, it will last longer than the rest of the bike.
                1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

I used JB weld on my old GPz 750 tank. It held for months until I could source a decent used tank. The key, as always, is preparation. Cleanliness will ensure success, as will the proper mix ratio. I just did it 1:1, mixed thoroughly, slopped it on. Smoothed it down while still pliable, then gave it a week or so to cure. Good luck!

Comment

Hell I used Plumbers Putty to repair my gas tank on my old s10 it still wasn't leaking when I got rid of the truck 2 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                      The tank that was on my bike had several JBWelds, and fiberglass from PO, worked a while then leaked again, I just replaced my tank, but kept the old one, going to chisel and grind all the old crap off, and weld/braze it up properly one day. Remember, fuel tanks expand and contract besides the fuel attacking and any additives from inside. Thats why solder/braze/weld is the best solution.
                      make sure there isnt any gas smell when you grind it.. kablooweee
                      if ya know what i mean

Comment

Nope, I always clean them out with water followed by denatured alcohol first, I'll be cutting this tank clean off from the base, do the necessary repairs on the base, and then start a custom mod on the upper section to incorporate a larger fuel tank, maybe even add knee pads. Next winter project. Kinda similar to a G tank but with the original L mounting, so it will be a direct swap. I've got the sheet metal, just not a brake, may have to do a lot of heat and hammer hand forming.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                          Nope, I always clean them out with water followed by denatured alcohol first, I'll be cutting this tank clean off from the base, do the necessary repairs on the base, and then start a custom mod on the upper section to incorporate a larger fuel tank, maybe even add knee pads. Next winter project. Kinda similar to a G tank but with the original L mounting, so it will be a direct swap. I've got the sheet metal, just not a brake, may have to do a lot of heat and hammer hand forming.
                          Been contemplating for three days and I've convinced myself to do something similar.
                          I'll get a replacement tank first. Then see what kind of monster tank I can create.
                          Good tip on washing it out with water first.

Comment

Originally posted by Valor Solo View Post
                            Been contemplating for three days and I've convinced myself to do something similar.
                            I'll get a replacement tank first. Then see what kind of monster tank I can create.
                            Good tip on washing it out with water first.
                            Well the water and gas won't mix, but it will push any liquid out as it displaces it, and should eliminate any fumes, the denatured alcohol will absorb any water afterwards, to cut down on some of the rust treating, which you'll probably want to do anyway.
                            Just don't dump it down any drains afterwards being water, not being insulted with this comment, just trying to be informative. It doesn't take much gasoline to pollute a large water supply, like one gallon of gas will contaminate 100,000 gallons of water. I know it's not environmentally friendly, but out in the country, we burn a lot of things, and small amounts of flammable liquids, well, poof! Here comes the lynch mob...

Comment

Hell I used Plumbers Putty to repair my gas tank on my old s10 it still wasn't leaking when I got rid of the truck 2 years later.
                              +1 on plumbers putty. That stuff is a life saver. On the 750 the tank had sprung a leak and it had been repaired with brazed patches. When I got it there were some pin hole leaks which I plugged with the plumbers epoxy. I ran it that way for about a year with no issues but eventually coated the tank with Caswell epoxy.

To test the effectiveness of the plumbers epoxy, I dropped a pellet of it in gas and let it sit for over a year and there was no softening or deterioration of any kind so I'd say its fine for tank repairs.

Its good for most emergency repairs and I always carry some in the tool kit. Never know when you might need to plug something.

Cheers,
                              Spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X