Petcock to Tank Seal leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock to Tank Seal leaking

Hello everyone, my problem is not a serious one just smelly and annoying. A little while after I shut off the bike and park it one of the bolts that hold the petcock to the tank will have a drip of gasoline hanging from it and there will be evidence that it constantly and slowly drips. I don't really want gas dripping on the bike and my mom doesn't care for the gas smell in the garage. I remember that the gasket between the tank and petcock wasn't in the best condition and suspect that it is the cause of the leak or maybe a poor mating surface on the tank.

So my question is, has anyone had success in using RTV gasket maker to replace the stock gasket for the petcock?

That way I wouldn't have to buy a $25+ rebuild kit just for the gasket. Just wanted to bounce my idea off you guys.

My bike is bone stock BTW and the petcock functions perfectly as far as I can tell.

Just buy the stock rectangular O-ring for the petcock and the two special sealing washers for the two bolts from your local Suzuki store.
    Only about $5.00 for the new/correct parts.

Number 2 and 4 here: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1981&fveh=2127

Eric
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I picked up some "sealing washers" from Ace hardware for 33 cents each, but if the o-ring is damaged, best to replace it. Make sure the surfaces are clean.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by The_Flash View Post
        Hello everyone, my problem is not a serious one just smelly and annoying. A little while after I shut off the bike and park it one of the bolts that hold the petcock to the tank will have a drip of gasoline hanging from it and there will be evidence that it constantly and slowly drips. I don't really want gas dripping on the bike and my mom doesn't care for the gas smell in the garage. I remember that the gasket between the tank and petcock wasn't in the best condition and suspect that it is the cause of the leak or maybe a poor mating surface on the tank.

So my question is, has anyone had success in using RTV gasket maker to replace the stock gasket for the petcock?

That way I wouldn't have to buy a $25+ rebuild kit just for the gasket. Just wanted to bounce my idea off you guys.

My bike is bone stock BTW and the petcock functions perfectly as far as I can tell.
        Probably not the oring just the sealing washers, you can get them from a hardware store that has a selection of those .or from your local dealer.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. The_Flash (or should I say "Barry Allen" ),

Is the petcock itself leaking or just the seal between the petcock and tank? The OEM parts are cheap insurance.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just FYI, RTV just turns to goo around gasoline or gasoline vapors.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Mr. The_Flash (or should I say "Barry Allen" ),

BassCliff
              Could be Wally West. Just saying . . .

Comment

Yeah I asked a tech at work today and he mentioned that RTV no likely the gasoline. So I guess I'll replace those three gaskets starting with the ones for the bolts. I'm gonna see if I can get away with replacing them without draining the tank, maybe if i do them one at a time. Nah, I'll just replace all of them because it never fails that it was the other gasket that was leaking.

BTW Basscliff was right about Barry, for some reason I always liked him better than Wally. And thanks for the Mega welcome although I had already read most of that before I even created an account.

Comment

I had the same problem when I replaced the OEM bolts with SS Allen heads. The threads just were not tight enough or something and there was a drip from the threads of the Allen heads. I just got some white thread sealant and coated the threads and screwed it in. Fixed my drip.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                  X