Replacement 1st Gen Turn signal controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement 1st Gen Turn signal controller

Schematic for a replacement 1st gen TSCU.

***NOTE*** Not production ready.

Updated 5-12-14 to reflect changes.

Auto cancel TSCU now in full swing.

Attempted to remove the potted board from an original TSCU leaving the plastic housing intact. Not going to happen.

Noise in the system was the worst problem causing false triggers, the wiring from the switch on the handlebar typically runs right through where all the high voltage switching's going on at the coils. Not insurmountable but took a while to figure out though.

OSHpark has a nice low cost PCB program. https://oshpark.com/)

Last edited by rustybronco; 05-12-2014, 08:39 AM. Reason: Minor changes to reflect continuing progress
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

You can always replace it.

Eric

Comment

Sorry Eric, I edited my comments about letting the smoke out. I plan on ordering a few 'extras' in case I do...

Comment

One thing I'm 'trying' to do a bit differently from the way the factory did it, is use the brake light to reset the timer as opposed to using the speedometer reed switch to hold off or delay the timer.

If it works as I hope it will, when you 'push the button' for the left or right signals, the timer starts counting down, but as soon as you actuate the brakes and the stop lamp turns on, the timer 'should' reset to zero. I chose to do it this way to allow the rider to change lanes and still have the signals cancel and also to allow a infinite length of time delay when slowing down and while sitting at a stop light waiting for traffic to clear. As soon the rider releases the brake the timer starts counting again, but if you were to apply the brake again after releasing it, the timer should reset, say if you were to 'modulate' the brakes during stopping.

Manual signal cancellation is still available at any time during the process.

The way I've designed it also allows you to use the signals as four way flashers. For those of you that don't like that option, you can add an 'AND' gate connected to the bases of T1 and T2 with the output tied to the reset pins of IC2 and IC3 to inhibit four way flashers.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I'm rooting for success. I have already converted my '78, but there are two other bikes that I could use it on if it is successful. Personally I like the self canceling controller better than a manual only detente switch, one that is reliable, of course.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I just got my dual-PICAXE prototype working this afternoon. It's really satisfying to conjure up something like this and have it work the very first time around. It's not perfect, and it's kinda fun being able to tweak things programmatically, but it works just like I wanted it to. The nice part is that I can easily change the program to alter any parameter -- flash rate, delay, speed necessary to keep the timer running, etc. I have the code pretty full of comments, and I'll expand on that further so that just about anyone could follow what I'm doing and why.

This is surely a one-off, with no intention of producing multiple copies, but I can sketch the diagrams and make the code available to anyone who wants it. Like some of the aftermarket boxes I've seen, it requires momentary contact switches at the bar control. The easy way to do this is, just buy a used bar control from a '78 or '79 and adapt it. These were (IMHO) the most intuitive signal controls I've ever used, and I'll never understand why they changed them in '81 (or was it '80?). The so-called '4-way' controls that replaced them are awkward even when they work correctly, and it goes downhill from there.

Next step is to get it onto a perfboard and get the terminal strips in place, so I can set the components in epoxy. From there, it's going to be an afternoon of modifying the bike wiring, and I'm set.

Now that the code is mostly done, I think it should take about two hours to produce a copy of this creature, with a cost of roughly $20, depending on how involved the builder wants to get in the area of appearance. For me, I haven't picked a container yet, but since my self-cancelers don't work anyhow, I might gut the box that came with the bike.

If I feel ambitious I'll post a photo of the confused mess it appears to be at present, on my trusty Radio Shack protoboard.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Robert, I hope I'm as lucky as you were the first time around.

The original 78-79's with self cancelling signals used a momentary contact left hand control. I guess I'm confused a bit. Are you replacing a later model setup with this early style TSCU?

I just ordered a breadboard with leads so I can prototype up my replacement earlier today. Some time tomorrow I'll put together a shopping list of what I need to order and get them ordered the first of the week, and yes, lets see a picture or two of the unit you built up.

Comment

As long as someone gets one working that all I need to do is thumb the lever down and all the signals work I am all in for 5 units. The auto cancel is of no real value to me anyway.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Robert, I hope I'm as lucky as you were the first time around.
                  I will concede that luck was a definite factor!

The original 78-79's with self cancelling signals used a momentary contact left hand control. I guess I'm confused a bit. Are you replacing a later model setup with this early style TSCU?
                  I'm replacing the awkward 4-way thingy on my '81 with one from a '78 thousand with self-cancel. The 'box', of course, will be the 'roll-my-own'.

I just ordered a breadboard with leads so I can prototype up my replacement earlier today. Some time tomorrow I'll put together a shopping list of what I need to order and get them ordered the first of the week,
                  That's actually one of the fun parts of the project...

and yes, lets see a picture or two of the unit you built up.
                  Here ya go. It is a mess, but it's a functional mess:

There's actually a third PICAXE in there at the left. It supplies the simulated pulses from the speedo reed switch, to more accurately emulate riding conditions.

If you press right or left while the signal is already flashing, it resets the timer. If your speed drops below the threshold for more than 4 seconds, it sets your time back to at least 8 seconds.

If (without flashers operating) you press and hold CANCEL for four seconds (continuously), it begins the 4-way flasher mode. To cancel that, just press (obviously) CANCEL again.

When you first turn the ignition on, it lights all four signals for 1.5 seconds -- to give you a chance to see that they're functioning before you start the bike & ride away.

There are endless other options available, as long as the basics are solid. I still need to handle power conditioning and packaging.

Comment

Robert, Your parts count looks extremely low that's for sure. Your design might be the way to go rather than what I have sketched up. I'm still going to build mine to see if it works or not, but I may pare it down to just the 2 flip-flops and the finals after all is said and done.
                    Last edited by rustybronco; 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM. Reason: is

Comment

Any progress gents? I would prefer one of these solutions working rather than the chop and two flasher relays.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        As long as someone gets one working that all I need to do is thumb the lever down and all the signals work I am all in for 5 units. The auto cancel is of no real value to me anyway.
                        Same here.
                        I can switch the darn thing much faster/better than any self-cancelling gizmo.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbreak View Post
                          Any progress gents? I would prefer one of these solutions working rather than the chop and two flasher relays.
                          None so far, other things have taken precedence over it at the moment.

Comment

Yes, progress has been delayed by some bouts of really nice weather. I expect to solder mine up sometime next week, but I'm not sure how much use it'll be to an average shadetree user; it'll require a bit of careful assembly & some modification of the bike's wiring.

I'll post the schematic & the code, as well as a parts list, and anyone who wants it is welcome to help him/herself. You don't have to be an electronics geek -- you just have to know one!

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbreak View Post
                              Cheaper than new from the dealer, but still pricey.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X