Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket Replacement

Hey Guys -

new on here and to the world of motorcycle repair. Ive done enough with sleds to know a bit of what Im doing. Picked up a 1980 GS850 and have now discovered a good bit of oil coming from the head gasket. The bike also has low compression across the board(in the 100 range)

I read on a '79 GS850 post that someone was saying there is a way to replace the head gasket without removing the whole engine block. The whole drive shaft rather than chain drive thing seems daunting to dive into for me, so Id like to avoid if need be...

Anyone have any advice on this? I unfortunately dont have a manual - probably worth me picking up from bikebandits or so...

Thanks for the help

Welcome to the site, for a Manual, you can probably get one by following the mega welcome links

Hi Mr. sbwoolf,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yup, no need to remove the block from the frame. You can go right down the the base gasket with the engine still in the frame, simple stuff. Although you may want to take the final drive apart to have a look at the splines and bearings, if you feel up to it, not too hard really. You thinking of replacing the rings and valve seals at the same time?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        Welcome to the site, for a Manual, you can probably get one by following the mega welcome links
        Thanks a ton for the proper welcoming! I look forward to endless learning and projects with this old girl!

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Yup, no need to remove the block from the frame. You can go right down the the base gasket with the engine still in the frame, simple stuff. Although you may want to take the final drive apart to have a look at the splines and bearings, if you feel up to it, not too hard really. You thinking of replacing the rings and valve seals at the same time?
          Just take the gas tank off and go from there? Do you have some details or can you point me in the direction of some online tutorial of how to do this?

Im not sure about doing rings and valve seals at the same time, but probably makes sense, eh? Know of where to get a good gasket kit? And rings and seals?

Comment

For the gaskets, especially the base and head gasket along with the orings around the oil passages I would go OEM all the way. May cost a few bucks more and have to wait a bit for them but it will be worth it. If you do a search you will find lots of threads referring to problems with aftermarket gaskets. Particularly the base gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by sbwoolf View Post
              Just take the gas tank off and go from there? Do you have some details or can you point me in the direction of some online tutorial of how to do this?

Im not sure about doing rings and valve seals at the same time, but probably makes sense, eh? Know of where to get a good gasket kit? And rings and seals?

Get a manual from the site that was posted to you earlier or use the search function here. You'll have days of reading. It's pretty self explanatory what needs to come off once you get going on the bike.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes, surely go to the MEGA WELCOME from gatekeeper and look around in there, you can download a manual, and find most other service and repair information you will need in there.
                Take things slow and plan out your rebuild with care, making sure you order the parts you need in proper and logical order (unlike me) lol.
                Shop around, but in the end, the parts all cost about the same so pick a good supplier and get that order in.
                Head gasket , base gasket and internal engine rings, seals, peices parts should surely be OEM. outer covers like stator and ignition cover and breather gasket can be a lot cheaper aftermarket stuff and work just fine.
                I just received my gasket order and will be re assembling very soon.
                Dont forget or be surprised either.....when you start tearing into your beloved GS you will realize you need more than you think, and will even want to fix additional things you dont think are up to par.
                Like I said, take your time and be confident that with some planning and help from members here,you will have a great rinning bike you can take pride in. Good luck!

Comment

Saweet! Thanks. Excited to start the project and to keep bugging all of you on here about the nitty gritty! Thanks guys!

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                  Yes, surely go to the MEGA WELCOME from gatekeeper and look around in there, you can download a manual, and find most other service and repair information you will need in there.
                  Take things slow and plan out your rebuild with care, making sure you order the parts you need in proper and logical order (unlike me) lol.
                  Shop around, but in the end, the parts all cost about the same so pick a good supplier and get that order in.
                  Head gasket , base gasket and internal engine rings, seals, peices parts should surely be OEM. outer covers like stator and ignition cover and breather gasket can be a lot cheaper aftermarket stuff and work just fine.
                  I just received my gasket order and will be re assembling very soon.
                  Dont forget or be surprised either.....when you start tearing into your beloved GS you will realize you need more than you think, and will even want to fix additional things you dont think are up to par.
                  Like I said, take your time and be confident that with some planning and help from members here,you will have a great rinning bike you can take pride in. Good luck!

Comment

This is a good thread as I need to do same repair and have been putting it off. Let us (me) know how it's going and take pictures too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
                      Let us (me) know how it's going and take pictures too!!!
                      Likewise!!

Comment

Working...
                      X