no power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no power.

To start, i rebuilt my carbs:dip,orings,intake boot orings. And i sealed up my airbox it had alot of leaks. All in all most of the issues went away. But i took it out for the first time and it cant get out of its own way. It has NOTHING to show me. Pulled the plugs theyre brown. Will adjusting the air screws do this? And would having airbox leaks make it have more power? This seems like the last bug to work out, oh yeah the idle still stays around 2500 after it warms up unless i choke it real quick or let the clutch out some while in gear for a sec. Btw its a 1980 gs550

That hanging idle sounds like it may still have an air leak somewhere. Did you sync the carbs after re-installing them? Are all the pipes getting hot at roughly the same speed at idle?

Comment

Update, fuel line was pinched part way, new fuel line, power has returned.
      Found new problem. Petcock is leaking fuel thru vaccum line and insufficent fuel flow does not fill bowls before they run empty. This problem is unrelated to the previous issue. I feel like im chasing my tail here.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfreakinchevy View Post
        Update, fuel line was pinched part way, new fuel line, power has returned.
        Found new problem. Petcock is leaking fuel thru vaccum line and insufficent fuel flow does not fill bowls before they run empty. This problem is unrelated to the previous issue. I feel like im chasing my tail here.
        Or, just fixing the bugs. One at a time.

Hmmmm.... 80 model. Wonder if that's one of those alien petcocks? Still available from Suzuki new.

Comment

Your diaphram is damaged. Time for a new petcock.

Comment

It is an alien petcock and i hate it, no reserve no on or off, no lever and a prime position that doesnt even assure me its in the right spot. I want to look into putting a different one on there. I need to measure the bolt spread and go from there. Deffinatley want to put another vaccum petcock on. Unless i find an awesome deal and easy way to use a non vaccum one. Is something available where it just screws into the bottom of the tank? I will make a blockoff plate and drill/tap if need be.

Comment

I really dont want to change tanks cause i just freakin painted it.

Comment

The '80 screwdriver petcock is easy to operate, and easy to replace itf you get the OEM replacement. Screwdriver slot vertical=PRIme; horizontal=Run. No reserve, but the tank is so small reserve is pretty much useless anyway. Is it a 550L? Mostly L tanks were sent out with the screwdriver petcocks, can't say I know for sure on the smaller bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                  Or, just fixing the bugs. One at a time.

Hmmmm.... 80 model. Wonder if that's one of those alien petcocks? Still available from Suzuki new.
                  Any more bugs and i will be an exterminator

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                    Originally posted by bigfreakinchevy View Post
                    It is an alien petcock and i hate it, no reserve no on or off, no lever and a prime position that doesnt even assure me its in the right spot. I want to look into putting a different one on there.
                    Hey, good news, I think.

Just checked several different suppliers, looking at the "FUEL COCK" fiche for an '80 550E. (that's what is listed in his sig)

Guess what? It's "NORMAL".

UPDATE: just did a little bit of digging found a photo in his profile, he does NOT have an E, he has an L.

Yep, you have an alien petcock, sorry about your luck.

They are still available, though, for $73.89 from G&S Suzuki.

Last edited by Steve; 04-20-2012, 09:20 PM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thats not my petcock

Comment

Bad news is the bolt spacing on the "normal" petcocks is not the same, it won't work. Your only real option is a non vacuum tap. You can make a plate to your spec, and they're threaded into the plate. Just don't forget to turn your fuel off, and don't mess wih the lever when it's dry. Turning the lever on most of those taps with no gas in the tank will ruin/tear up the orings inside.

Comment

New oblong O-ring and special sealing washers for the bolts...

I had to dimple the frame for clearance...

'Don't try this at home."
                          It doesn't work.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X