Rochester to Oakland on my 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rochester to Oakland on my 1150

My 1150 is back in NY and I'm flying back this weekend for Boston Comic Con and some other events. Leaving sometime after May 5th and heading to Chicago from there. After that, the route is wide-open for me, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Before I go, I'm adjusting the valves, re-syncing the carbs, replacing the clutch fibers, new throttle and clutch cables, and installing stainless steel brake lines. I'm also upgrading the seat foam with the 1-1/2" thick atomic stuff from Sargents, and thinking about a new cover with their carbon f/x material, if anyone has anything good or bad to say about that stuff.

Right now I'm running Sport Demons front and back. The front has tons of tread but the rear has about 1000 miles left, I'm guessing. I'll need to change my rear somewhere along the way, so I could use some help with a good reliable shop along the I can order from and have it mounted.

Any and all advice/suggestions/help is welcome. I've done a lot of driving, a fair amount of riding, but only driving cross-country by car. I took the southern route last time - LA to the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley to the Four Corners, then Sante Fe, Austin, up to Arkansas and a straight shot up to Ohio from there, cutting across PA to NJ.

Also, I'm taking pictures along the way and Mitch says he'll put 'em in Moto Retro Illustrated. More GS love!

/UM

Put a new tire on before you leave

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Put a new tire on before you leave
      There's a lot of good tread left on that tire, and if I put a new tire on now, I'll use it all up by the time I get to Oakland, as opposed to having an extra 1000 miles on it. Seems a hell of a waste.

Comment

I agree. Get a new one, stopping along the way can be a pain . You dont know exactly how many miles are left. It could be 1000, could be 2000,
        could be 500. Once they get near the wear bars they go so fast.

Comment

Guess I'll just have to wear this thing down before I leave.

Any recommendations for a new rear that matches well with the Sport Demon with no wonky handling?

Comment

I think Bwringr is in Chicago, he does those tire days for the locals.

If you make Denver we can change it here, but I am not going to advocate pushing your luck on a worn out tire.
            Been there done that, still have lots of scars.
            Last edited by tkent02; 04-17-2012, 06:39 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PM Joe Nardy. I bet he can set you up with change space and tools just short of 1000 miles from Rochester.
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post

Also, I'm taking pictures along the way and Mitch says he'll put 'em in Moto Retro Illustrated. More GS love!

/UM
                Be sure to post up pictures here too! I'm planning on a similar ride in July, (NJ-CA-NJ) and would love to see what your doing as far as packing systems and such. Are you using a strict route and GPS or just taking a map and heading west?

I'm planning on taking the northern route there, and the southern way back, but not entirely sure on the exact details yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                  PM Joe Nardy. I bet he can set you up with change space and tools just short of 1000 miles from Rochester.
                  Good idea. I'll check to see if he takes road
                  refugees.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                    Be sure to post up pictures here too! I'm planning on a similar ride in July, (NJ-CA-NJ) and would love to see what your doing as far as packing systems and such. Are you using a strict route and GPS or just taking a map and heading west?

I'm planning on taking the northern route there, and the southern way back, but not entirely sure on the exact details yet.
                    Not sure on the route. I'm interviewing companies along the way for work, so it'll depend on what gets set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post

How far north? I always welcome cross-country riders in my neck of the woods. I like it when people invite me in on my trips too. I have tools, sleeping room meals (yeah I'll cook for ya!) and good twisty roads.

refugees.
                      I know Joe takes in road refugees, he's been one, and even though he's "Krusty", he's good people and he'll do you right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                        refugees.
                        If you end up stopping at Joe's, there is a whole pack of us that hang out around there...so keep us posted.
                        We are all going to be up north, (WI), the weekend of the 19-22 of May, just FYI.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

PM sent........
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            If you end up stopping at Joe's, there is a whole pack of us that hang out around there...so keep us posted.
                            We are all going to be up north, (WI), the weekend of the 19-22 of May, just FYI.
                            Bob,

The rest of us are going to Wisconsin May 17-20.........
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

This might sound a little outrageous but why don't you just take a tire with you? You got plenty of room on that big bike of yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X