Rochester to Oakland on my 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
    You're a laugh riot, Mike! Now GET TO BED ... you need your rest, young man!

'Nite,
    Horsesh*t! We're having a bonfire and planning a South American invasion. His 16 yr-old daughter is planning a circumnavigation of the globe that'll get her in the GBoWR.

Comment

Sounds fun...glad things are holding together....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for keeping us updated. I was keeping an eye on the forum while out of town and was glad to see your issues got sorted out. I always say the Chicagoland/Indiana GS gang is the best and they proved it once again.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Got a text last night from Mike that he was in Newcastle WY.

Sounds like he is having a good time...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Where in the hell is Wright, WY?!?!

I wanted to make it a bit further last night, but traveling these backroads through WY it was getting dangerous. Great road and incredible scenery but man are they lousy with deer. Just didn't seem smart.

Landed here last night and my options were to pay $90 for a motel room, ride 50 miles in the wrong direction or 90 miles in the correct direction to get a $50 room (or camp out in the rain.)

None of those options seemed smart and fun, but the $90 motel room seemed smart at least so I went with that. Figured that way at least I could get a hot bath for tired muscles.

Apparently that was a poor assumption. $90 only gets you about 3 inches of moderately warm water. Guess which motel manager is going to get an earful from a cranky, bearded man.

And Steve, the extra enjoyment I wrest from this bike now that the gauge cluster isn't flopping around is immeasurable, and those sandwiches stayed cold in my tankbag the entire time. Had the last one last night for dinner, and it was still as cold as the first!

Badlands were incredible, as was Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument, but Rt. 16W was the highlight (again, were it not for the deer.) You'd come around a corner and they'd be standing right in the road. So I took the entire thing around 40mph.

1200 miles to go.

Comment

When you get to see first hand some of the beauty in this great country,
              it sure makes you proud just to live here doesn't it?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                but Rt. 16W was the highlight
                Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                When you get to see first hand some of the beauty in this great country,
                it sure makes you proud just to live here doesn't it?
                When you get to 90/25/16 in Buffalo, take 16 west to Worland. Pure grandure !!!
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Where in the hell is Wright, WY?!?!

I wanted to make it a bit further last night, but traveling these backroads through WY it was getting dangerous. Great road and incredible scenery but man are they lousy with deer. Just didn't seem smart.

Landed here last night and my options were to pay $90 for a motel room, ride 50 miles in the wrong direction or 90 miles in the correct direction to get a $50 room (or camp out in the rain.)

None of those options seemed smart and fun, but the $90 motel room seemed smart at least so I went with that. Figured that way at least I could get a hot bath for tired muscles.

Apparently that was a poor assumption. $90 only gets you about 3 inches of moderately warm water. Guess which motel manager is going to get an earful from a cranky, bearded man.

And Steve, the extra enjoyment I wrest from this bike now that the gauge cluster isn't flopping around is immeasurable, and those sandwiches stayed cold in my tankbag the entire time. Had the last one last night for dinner, and it was still as cold as the first!

Badlands were incredible, as was Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument, but Rt. 16W was the highlight (again, were it not for the deer.) You'd come around a corner and they'd be standing right in the road. So I took the entire thing around 40mph.

1200 miles to go.
                  As Joe and Bob have already stated, "It's what we do," here in Chicagoland. I will derive an immeasurable amount of pleasure just knowing I made a difference in your enjoyment of the 1150 every time you go for a ride - Hell, I'm living vicariously through all my motorcycle-riding friends at the moment!

I'm also glad the freeze packs and the "Chez Steve" care package worked out for you. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your road trip updates - stay safe, Pal!

Regards,

Comment

Somewhere in Nevada currently. Done 700 miles today and still feeling fresh.

Comment

Home again, home again - jiggity jog. 1227 miles in one shot. Time to sleep.

Comment

Glad you're home safe Mike. That was one quick journey across the country......
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Nice job, Mike ... Now did you ever get the chance to "officialize" it for "Iron Butt" status? Hope so!

Regards,

Comment

So glad you are home safe and the bike held up well. You gonna post some of those pics you took along the way?
                            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                              So glad you are home safe and the bike held up well. You gonna post some of those pics you took along the way?
                              Just as soon as I finish sleeping!

Comment

Welcome back!

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X