Rochester to Oakland on my 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
    This might sound a little outrageous but why don't you just take a tire with you? You got plenty of room on that big bike of yours.
    This right here is the kind of wisdom which can only come from experience.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's two on the back. For a while, I carried 3 with me for different occasions. Once the tire start to go, it goes really fast.

Comment

This may seem too simple of advice but
        Keep riding times within reason. Read/heard of too many folks buying the farm who thought they could ride 10 hour days/nights.
        Bike riding is not like car riding. More physical.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
          Bob,

The rest of us are going to Wisconsin May 17-20.........
          Ha...that figures....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Let me know when you are doing the clutch ect. I need the entertainment :-) See you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Tester View Post
              Let me know when you are doing the clutch ect. I need the entertainment :-) See you soon!
              Just missed my flight out of SF to Rochester. I'm trying to get on a later one so I can rent a car and drive to Boston for the comic con. Got a table there and everything, but my brother will run it with some friends until I get there. Back in Rochester on Monday and I'm ordering parts this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bookmon View Post
                This may seem too simple of advice but
                Keep riding times within reason. Read/heard of too many folks buying the farm who thought they could ride 10 hour days/nights.
                Bike riding is not like car riding. More physical.
                I was thinking of doing a few hours in the morning, a few in the afternoon and stopping when it gets dark. You think 10 hours in a day is too much?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                  You think 10 hours in a day is too much?
                  Depends on you. Some are comfortable doing extremely long days, others are not. If you haven't done much long distance stuff, start fairly small.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Depends on you. Some are comfortable doing extremely long days, others are not. If you haven't done much long distance stuff, start fairly small.
                    I've done a couple of 10-hour days, and more 6-8 hour days than I can count. Only done long days like that for a few days at a time.

Lots of stretching is in order.

Comment

Mike, keep us posted on when/where you are passing through the Midwest.

Between Joe (NW Chicago), myself (NW Indiana) and Brian (Indy) you will have access to three bike lifts if needed. Brian and I don't have the fancy smancy No Mar tire machine Joe has but spoons and tire balancing set ups will work and be available if needed. Tim
                      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                        I've done a couple of 10-hour days, and more 6-8 hour days than I can count. Only done long days like that for a few days at a time.

Lots of stretching is in order.
                        Last tour my brothers and I did, I broke them in on a 600 mile first day so they would understand what its about. That was on 2 lane state and county roads. Its real doable. We ended up having to do more back to back 600 mile days due to problems with one of the bikes hitting a rock abd breaking a wheel. Of this was on two unfaired 850G's, an unfaired 1100G, and a Concours.

There is some pain, but so what.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

hey unc looks like you picked a great time to do this trip, looks like we're getting more winter today than we did all winter. good luck.
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Lucky for me I missed my flight out of SF so I'm still on the west coast, trying to arrange a new flight that won't cost me $1500.

That snow better be gone by the time I get there.

Comment

So...have your plans solidified yet? Or are they still jellin'?

Just curious when you might be coming through...
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                                So...have your plans solidified yet? Or are they still jellin'?

Just curious when you might be coming through...
                                Still jellin' based on when parts arrive and how easily they go on, as well as the NATO summit which is going to heavily restrict traffic through Chicago next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X