Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Drummond View Post
    and here is a sparring partner of Adrain's, Richard Brittan

a spectacular racer,who no matter what had a smile and time for anyone who wanted to chat,R.I.P mate
    Just a touch up…
    When and where did he run out of time Johnny?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Drummond View Post

carrying on from the other Carrowdore photos, here are the "old masters of racing"-no.4 Robert Dunlop and no.3 naturally his brother Joey

and the "new masters",here is Michael Dunlop putting the clutch into older brother William's 250,for anyone who doesn't know William and Micheal are Robert's sons
      Those look like 250s their riding.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Glad you can work a computer!,Richard ran out of time in September 2005 at the Ballybunion races in Co.Kerry.His 250 siezed throwing him over the bars,he hit a bank under a hedge(these are stone walls,usually about 3 feet thick at the bottom tapering to 2 feet at the top and anywhere between 4 and 6 feet high covered with grass and have a hedge planted on top)and died very shortly afterwards,he was 36.

Comment

Very sad.
          Those singles are just as deadly as the big 4s.

Comment

North West 200 first practice news

Today was the first sessions for Saturdays North West 200 races.The first session was delayed by a massive hailstone shower,after it dried the highest speed ever recorded in practice or racing-208mph,go on tell me if you aren't impressed

Comment

I'd say that was cooking
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

R.I.P Robert"Micro"Dunlop

Today 4 years ago(16/05)the Irish racing world lost one of it's fiercest competitors:- Robert Dunlop.He crashed during the practice session for the 250 class before the North West 200 sustaining massive internal injuries which took his life several hours later in hospital.It was to be his return to 250 racing for the first time since his rear wheel collapsed at over 120mph after jumping Bellagh Bridge in the 1994 Isle of Man TT after his return he could only ride a 125cc machine,his sons William and Michael were also out in the session.2 days later Michael won the 250 race,it was the most emotional race I have ever seen.He was 48 years old,maybe when I see you on the other side I can cadge a light off you-see you later micro

Comment

North West 200 races-part 1

Sorry it's late, but here is the run down from the NW200 2012.For the first time in it's history they ran 2 races after the practices on thursday, the supertwin(650cc twin cylinder 4 strokes based on Kawasaki ER6 and Suzuki SV 650's).Ryan Farquhar has been spearheading the development of these bikes for several years,but this year he was rider/team boss as he was running 4 bikes ridden by Michael Rutter,Jamie Hamilton,himself and the ex 250&500cc GP rider Jeremy McWilliams(who was racing on the roads for the first time at 48 years old!,it was really funny watching someone with over 100 starts in the top flight of racing and a man who beat Valentino Rossi to 2nd place at Donnington wearing the dreaded orange "newcomers" bib) and a Superstock (1000cc slightly modified showroom bikes).No great surprise that Farquhar woin the twins race with McWilliams 2nd and Mike Rutter 3rd and Jamie Hamilton 6th.

Comment

Thanks!

I'm readin' your postings Johnny!
                    Bill

Comment

North West 200 part 2

Thanks Bill!,that gives me heart to keep doing it.Okay, I just realised that I didn't comment too much on the Superstock race on thursday-oops,in wet conditions race 2 got off to a gentle(for racing) start as no-one knew where the standing water was,but after a lap TYCO Suzuki rider Alastair Seely took to the front and built up a lead while his wet tyres were at their best which he held to the line,followed by a surprise in the form of "general" lee Johnston and Aussie Cameron Donald 3rd.Seeley's lap speed for the race was 111.010 mph!
                      Saturday was sunny and if not warm (by our modest standards) pleasent,which was a big boost to the orginisers after 2 years of terrible rain,and if the papers are to be believed a loss of approx £1.6million(that is roughly £800,000 per meeting to run the event). The first Superbike(1000cc) race got off to a good start with Seeley again leading on the first lap but a mistake put John McGuinness into first and Seeley into 14th and at the end of the 6 laps McGuinness won by 4 seconds from Seeley who made a huge effort throughout the remaining laps just taking Cameron Donald on the last1/4 mile of the circuit.Just what John needed before this weeks I.O.M TT.
                      next up was the Supersport(600cc) race 1,William Dunlop streaked into the lead but the race was stoppede after Guy Martin crashed at Black hill-a really nasty narrow section of the course that runs under a railway bridge at around 140mph,luckily Guy was just bruised and got a mild concussion that kept him from competing for the rest of the day as team boss Hector niell said " you don't fall off at 140 and get up saying -"where's me bike,where's me bike". At the re-start Dunlop disappeared again with Seeley in persuit ,William increased his lead but ran over the grass at the Juniper Hill cichane on the last lap allowing Alistair to close to within 2 or 3 bike lenghts but William got the win-only his first 4 stroke victory,the other 3 were all on 2 strokes.
                      Superstock(1000cc showroom spec) race 2 started with Seeley,McGuinness,Kiwi Bruce Anstey and Cameron Donald at the front but again the race was red flagged( red flags indicate a major incident and all racing stops instantly) after Mark Buckley from Scotland crashed on the approach to Mill Road Roundabout,sadly he died a few hours later in hospital from his injuries-he was 35.I have heard a lot of theroires in the weeks following his death-none of which I will repeat here,mainly because it is disrespectful to his family and also because a lot of them are abject rubbish,and I will not add to the rumour mill.On the restart Seeley took off to take first place on the road but it was one of the "senior " racers Michael Rutter who took the win coming from the second wave(because of the amount of riders in the Superstock class-50 this year, there is a law saying that you can only have 14 bikes starting at once,so the usual practice is 3 or 4 "waves" started at 10 second intervals like the Isle of Man.It was Rutter's 13th win on the triangle and he now sits second in the all time winners list along side Joey Dunlop with Robert Dunlop at the top of the list with 15 wins!.
                      Supersport race2(600cc) Again it was William Dunlop and Alastair Seeley out in front in a repeat of race 1,with the win going to Seeley after a dangerous overtake which nearly forced William into a stone wall on the last lap,after the race Dunlop refused to shake Seeley by the hand and had a few things to say to the media concerning the move.All Seeley would say was "he races in the British Superbike championship and he should be used to it"-the only problem for me is that in BSB you have 40 to 50 yards of runoff/gravel trap if you force someone into falling off by a making a pass like that-HOWEVER doing that on a road circuit (espically at the place he did it coming up to a 10 foot thick stone wall) was too much,but no protest was launched by Wilson Craig Williams team boss, so the matter was settled.
                      North West 200 Superbike Seeley started strongly again and took an early lead that was never troubled winning by 1.4 seconds with Michael Rutter 2nd and John McGuinness 3rd.All in all a better day for the orginisers after 2 bad years weather wise but the midden hit the windmill over the following days with all sorts of beige cardigan wearing,garden centre worshipping a&*^%$les calling for a ban on racing.I will finish this with the wishes of Mark Buckley's wife and mother who when they were asked by the officials if they wanted the after race hospitality event to be cancelled said " make it the loudest bloody party you can, so that wherever Mark has gone he won't be alone and in silence".And that boys and girls is why I will always love racing-See ya later Mark and thanks for the memories.

Comment

Cool report Johnny!

Sad about Mark Buckley.
                        I think I can remember Mill Road Roundabout, from my one copy of the NW 200. Isn't it mostly flat around that?
                        Cool report Johnny!

Comment

Yeah Bill,it's flat and straight with a gentle slope uphill all the way from York corner!,the only thing I can think of is a siezure,but that is rare on these modern 4 strokes(but anything is possible).If you have a video, look for the Metropole/black hill section on it,that is where Guy Martin lost the front exiting the kink under the bridge-NOT a place to fall off!,yeah it is sad and kind of the reason that it has taken me so long to write that report.If you can work out how many hours behind us you are(I think Charlie is roughly 8 hours behind our time and the little diary that I have shows Chicago as 6 hours and am I right in thinking that you are North east of there??) just so I can put up here accurate times for the TT races proper that begin this Saturday(this is practice week)-if you are interested in listening live,go to www.iomtt.com and follow the links to radio TT,this Saturday is the Superbike, what was the old Formula 1 race and sidecar race 1,let me know.

Comment

WOW,
                            “ the TT races proper that begin this Saturday”, You make my mouth water.

We're on New York City time here, Eastern Time zone US.

Thanks a bunch for the link, I listened last year, and I thought I'd have to find last year's posting to find the link.

Maybe the guy locked up a tire, trying to hold his speed to the last millisec before the turn.
                            I'm sure it was at the direction change where things went bad.

My track riding, ain't gonna happen this year.
                            I spent all my spare money on my teeth. One extraction (REAL PAIN), then a root canal job on another tooth. Can't afford a broken bone, or even track fees.
                            I'll be lucky to break even next tax day.
                            Keep posting OK Johnny.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Johnny,

Thanks for posting the IOM info again, that helps.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Ah I think this is right!

No problem,Charlie-the more people I can encourage the more the sport grows(and I kinda get off on the looks on peoples faces when I tell them where the race programs will end up),Okay IF I am right Bill you need to set the alarm for 6am tomorrow-3am for you Charlie, the race week runs as follows:-

Saturday 2nd June
                                7am start:-Dianese SuperbikeTT race(6 laps)
                                10am start:-Sure SidecarTT race 1(3 laps)

Monday 4th June
                                6.45am start:-Monster Energy SupersportTT race 1(4 laps)
                                10am start:-Royal London SuperstockTT(4 laps)

Wednesday 6th June
                                6.45am start:-SES TT zero Challenge(1 lap)
                                9am start:-Monster Energy Supersport TT race 2(4 laps)
                                11.15amSure Sidecar T race 2(3 laps)

Friday8th June
                                6.45am Lightweight TT race(3 laps)
                                10.30am Pokerstars Senior TT race (6 laps)
                                These are the times for the races where you are Bill(hopefully) ,you will have to adjust for your own timezone Charlie, ENJOY guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X