Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neglected 1983 GS550ES major oil leak. Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Roger:

Is gas tank leak unpatchable?

Is it costly to swap / retrofit gas tanks?

To all : Bike now sits at garage at parents'. Needed a can of seafoam to get the engine going.

Comment

The tank looks rusted but how in hell did it rust at that point.
      Does the tank leak?

Get to a safe work area and drain the fuel and inspect it.

DO not drive the bike like this.

I have spare shoddy tank that is prisitine but it would cost a million bucks to ship it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toy Maker View Post
        Re Roger:

Is gas tank leak unpatchable?

Is it costly to swap / retrofit gas tanks?

To all : Bike now sits at garage at parents'. Needed a can of seafoam to get the engine going.

I patched a leaky Seca 900 tank with Permatex Gas Tank Sealer epoxy and it worked, but they wouldn't pass it on inspection, so I threw $800 Yamaha's way for a brand new one. If you don't need to have it inspected, the sealer works as advertised, but you might find you need to bring a chunk of it with you when you ride. My GS1100 was like that, so I sprung for a NOS tank from JT Cycles in Battle Creek Michigan off of Ebay for $300.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice and information. After the oil change and a fresh tank of gas and sea foam, the bike is running fine now. There is still a little bit of oil leak where the engine will be wet , but not so much that there is any drip on the ground. I have decided not to touch the engine for the time being.

Gas tank seems to be holding up fine. Bike goes up to 120km/hr no problem. Yes the power really does come after 6k rpm.
          Will continue to monitor for gas leak.

Took off the old broken fairings and did a round headlamp swap. How do I post pictures?

Found out the lights on the gauges are dead and I can't read the speedo / tech at night, anything I should be aware of before I take the guages apart?

Comment

how to post pictures....

and the entire site of wonderful stuff

Comment

Pics

Ok let's give this a try..

When I first got the bike, all fairings cracked , held on by zip ties :

After removing the fairings :

After turn signals and headlight swap :

The rear :
              Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2012, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X