Smoking oil out the tail pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking oil out the tail pipe

Ok I just rebuild my 1983 gs1100e motor, it has new rings, cut and ground valves and valve seats, all new gaskets and all new valve seals. Basically a top end complete overhaul.

I fired it up yesterday and the bike ran perfectly fine, but smokes out of the tail pipes, I figured that I would let it brake in so I put on about 10miles on the bike riding it semi agresively to seat the rings. But it still smokes out of the tail pipe like crazy, mainly when you give it a quick rev from idel, wheni it idles the bike barely smokes any oil but as soon as I give it a quick rev it burst out a ton of smoke.

So today I pulled out all the spark plugs and found out that number 3 cylinder spark plug was caked with oil. So I decided to change all of the valve seals on that cylinder; it auctualy was very easy to do because I presurized the cylinder with air and was able to change the valve seals with out taking the cylinder head, it was my first time doing this and it worked great. But the problem is when I started the bike up again it was still smoking like crazy. So I took it for a 5mile run and when I got back I pulled out the spark plugs again and the number 3 cylinder spark plug was coverd with oil again so it is still leaking from somewhere.

So my question is what can I do next to get rid of the smoke??? and oil the cylinders... I did a compression test and number 1,2 and 4 cylinders are 160psi, but for some reason the number 3 cylinder is 175psi, I suspect its a bit higher becaus it has oil in the cylinder so it seals better but I assume that the cylinder copression would be even if there was no oil in the cylinder. But anyways that is my story of the bike, please let me know if anyone has solution to this problem>>>>>>

My guess is the oil control ring expander tangs are not butted against each other, or the ring was damaged in some way when the cylinder was slid down over the piston. Hopefully it's the former because if the ring got folded over or similar, it could score up the cylinder.

Sorry.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Another guess is that she's pulling in oil from the cam chain tunnel where the gasket got damaged somewhere. Either way I think you're going to have to pull the head off.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi nessism; what is a control ring expander? Yah I also thought that the gasket might be leaking by the cam chanell. But I thought I would have bad compression if the piston rings were getting blow by or if the head gasket is leaking>>>> But I have really good compression and the bike runs like a mad man.

Comment

Oil control ring has three parts: two rails and the expander spring (wavy shaped). Check your service manual for details of how the ends must butt against each other. Some times the ends move and overlap while installing the rails.

Of course, this is just a wild guess on my part. I don't know what happened to your engine specifically.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As a side note, the oil rings are separate from the upper and lower compression rings. So you could still have good compression but oil consumption such as Ed describes.

Comment

Ok, yes I know about the oil rings than, I did make sure that the ends of the wigled rings just butt up agains each other but they might of sliped out but I'm thinking that is highly unlikely because I was fairly careful not to do that. I have heard from people to just run the bike fairly hard for 50miles and it might seat the rings and get rid of that problem. Any ideas on that? It's super annoying to have a smoking bike that I just restored to 100% original condition all new paint on the body and frame. And now it smokes when I restored and painted the engine. Damn that sucks. Could it be anything else other than the piston oil rings?

Comment

Could it be the orientation of the piston ring end gaps? How did you arrange those?
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

So I have been riding the bike a lot to try to brake in the piston rings hoping the smoke will go away. JUst today it started smoking less but than I found out that i had low oil, and as soon as I filled it to the top on the sight glass the bike started to smoke a lot more again. So I'm fairly sure it is not the valve seals leaking because the bike does not smoke the first 30seconds when I start it up. it only starts to smoke after it warms up a bit. From what I know the valve seals leak while the bike is sitting and driping oil into the cylinders causing more smoke on start ups, my bike has the revers problem it smokes more when its hot. ANd since it smokes more when I fill the oil up I'm guessing it is the oil rings because the oil pressure in the engine case goes up a bit more when I put more oil in. Let me know if you think I'm might be right about this and do I still have a chance that the rings will seal if I ride it more. ??
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
                    JUst today it started smoking less but than I found out that i had low oil, and as soon as I filled it to the top on the sight glass the bike started to smoke a lot more again.
                    How much more oil did it take to fill it up?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The original post didn't mention a hone with new rings.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

half a quart to fill it up...

Comment

It took about half a quart to fill it up..... ALso yes I did change the piston rings with suzuki oem piston rings, they are stock bore size. I also had the machine shop hone the cylinder walls with one of those beed or ball type of sander that attaches to the drill. I than cleanned the cylinder walls with soap and a spung three times in a row, wich was recomended to me by the machine shop to make sure all the metal is gone, I than oiled the cylinder walls to keep them fresh. I visualy inspected the pistons but I"m not too sure what to look for on those...

Comment

Working...
                          X