Help with routes to Kelso WA from Victoria bc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with routes to Kelso WA from Victoria bc

Hi guys I'm looking at riding to Kelso WA from Victoria to meet a buddy who is riding back from Nevada. I would like some advice on what roads to take to Kelso from Port Angeles. I would like to avoid freeways and stay on nice scenic roads. Then we are coming back to Victoria together. Planning on leaving in the next day or so depending on my buddies arrival time to Kelso.
    Thanks guys
    No signature

Hello Trevor,

I just returned from the Olympic Peninsula yesterday evening, I don't know much but the ride from Port Angeles out to Cape Flattery along 112 is really nice. We then took the 113 to the 101 and went back to our campsite, at Tongue Point - Salt Creek Recreation area.. a fantastically beautiful state park. Apparently the ride to hurricane ridge is great "but watch yourself on the way down on weekends there will be some one taking pictures in a blind corner" "Turn south at the Jack in The Box in Port Angeles." Unfortunately Washington doesn't print their state map any longer. I found this link though http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications/highwaymap/ I'm hoping the guys in geology will print me a nice big copy on the plotter.

Comment

Going all the way around the Olympic Penninsula is a great ride if you hit good weather.

It could happen.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the info. I'm leaving Victoria this morning on the 1030 ferry to port angeles then gonna take the quick way into Kelso down 101 onto I-5 to meet Glenn for dinner then tomorrow we will do the scenic route starting over into Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Can't wait. Should be some pics to follow.
        No signature

Comment

Hey trevor,

I'm probably a little late for this, but if you're headed up I-5 towards BC, you should check out Chuckanut Drive near Burlington.

It's a short little detour (about 21 miles), but the views are worth it. Don't bother going through Bellingham, you'll just get stuck in traffic (I used to live there).

Edit: Quick photo of the area (hotlinked from Google Images)

Comment

If you want a nice lunch break next time you head East from PA, turn off 101 at the Discovery Bay HWY 20 start. The view of the Bay as you twisty your way into the Victorian Seaport of Port Townsend is amazing. Road and Track once listed that 8 mile stretch as a US top 20 route for Ralleys. I will wave as you go by if I see you.
            Port Townsend is very motorcycle friendly! Lots of food and funky shops and is a destination spot for Seattle bike club day trippers. It is the town they filmed 'Officer and a Gentleman' with Richard Gere in the 1980's.
            Then either take the downtown Port Townsend Ferry to Whidbey Island (be sure to make online reservations!) to go north or head East through the Chimicum Valley toward the Hood Canal Bridge and the ferry to Seattle.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
            X