Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GS Deadly Sins

DEADLY SINS OF YOUR GS

These guys could have just done a search . . .

Here is a list of things that you should NEVER DO EVER. They come up a lot in various threads. Perhaps this will become an evil-twin to Nessism's noob mistake list and/or BassCliff's maintenance list:
    1. NEVER START THE BIKE IF THERE IS GAS IN THE OIL

2. NEVER TURN THE ENGINE BY HAND OR OTHERWISE WITHOUT THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER IN PLACE AND ARMED

3. NEVER ROTATE THE CAMS WITHOUT A SHIM IN EVERY VALVE BUCKET

4. NEVER RELY ON A PO/SHOP/BUDDY TO HAVE DONE ANYTHING CORRECTLY ON YOUR BIKE, EVER.

5. NEVER JUMP START THE BIKE FROM A RUNNING CAR BATTERY

6. NEVER IDLE YOUR AIR-COOLED ENGINE FOR MORE THAN A MINUTE OR TWO WITHOUT A FAN TO PROVIDE AIR-FLOW

7. NEVER USE AN EZ-OUT (MORE LIKE NEVER-OUT, AMIRITE?) TO EXTRACT A STUCK OR STRIPPED BOLT. USE LEFT-HANDED DRILL BITS INSTEAD.

8. NEVER RIDE WITHOUT HELMET, JACKET, BOOTS, GLOVES. ATGATT.

9. NEVER CLEAN, LUBE, FONDLE OR DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR CHAIN WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

10. NEVER USE ARMOUR-ALL TO CLEAN A SEAT OR TIRES.

I'll edit this as more come to mind, but if you have any seriously bad moves that fit the NEVER DO THIS, post away. Try to stick to the real "pathway to doom" stuff, not the never-ending debates about pods/pipes, oil, sawzalls, etc.

If there are good links to threads the explain why these are such deadly sins (or better yet, demonstrate what happens to the sinner), post them here to add to the list.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM.

Never jump your bike from a running car battery.

Comment

never contemplate even checking your tire pressures without downloading basscliffs entire web site and checking your valve clearances and dipping your carbs, oh, and dont forget the coil relay mod or it will throw out your clutch adjustment
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Never dump the oil & change the filter then answer a phone call, start the bike up & ride about 150 ft then realise you didnt put the oil in it when your heart drops into your stomach. Roller bearing cranks are good

Comment

Never expect a stripped oil drain plug to hold until you can make it to the shop....

Comment

Never ask the forum (or any motorcycle forum) about the following things... a messy, never-ending Holy War inevitably results:

1) Tires

2) Octane

3) Oil

4) Pods
            4a) especially pods on an 850

5) Dynabeads

6) Cutting off the exhaust

7) Making a chopper/bobber

And finally... never, ever, EVER mention L models when tkent is around. It makes him go all funny in the head...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've got an "L" model.....just say'n

Comment

I have an 850 with pods...

Comment

I've done number three on the list. Awful feeling when you realize you've done something really really bad.

Comment

I think you need to amend your cam chain tensioner one to read something like
                    "Never turn the motor.....without the cam chain tensioner in place and CORRECTLY ARMED" Meaning, it can be in place, but many make the mistake of tightening the set screw down all the way, not allowing the tensioner rod to move and do its job.

Comment

Never let your GS idle for a long time sitting on the side stand, unless it's an L model.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
                        I've done number three on the list. Awful feeling when you realize you've done something really really bad.
                        Me too..... That's funny, what was that small snapping sound??? DOH!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

In the last year that I've owned my GS I've committed at least three of those deadly sins.

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post
                            In the last year that I've owned my GS I've committed at least three of those deadly sins.
                            I am not one to judge, having turned the cams (including with starter motor ) without the tensioner, myself. Luckily, I did not manage to destroy any valves as a result. Not really sure how I dodged that bullet.

Comment

My 750 Kat, tough as it is, can't ride itself home while I'm busy picking gravel out of my hide cause I wasn't wearing all the gear,and stuff happened.So I want to add, never ride without proper gear!

Comment

Working...
                              X