The GS Deadly Sins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This probably doesn't qualify as a "deadly sin", just something to avoid:
    Don't head out for a test ride to gauge tuning changes and forget to completely tighten the four bolts holding the handle bars in place (last night). That was eventful.

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
      I have an 850 with pods...
      me too!!
      :-D

Comment

Okay, my turn... never try to start your bike if it looks as if one or more of the carb floats might be sticking. If you insist on starting it anyway, then at least push it out of the garage and away from anything that cost more that $10 before hitting the starter button.

Comment

Never oil the chain with the bike running in gear.I got lucky,still have my fingers.Other haven't been so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
            I have an 850 with pods...
            Same here....fortunately, jets are all sorted out. Runs great.

But the warning is still valid - don't change to pods unless you want to spend a LOT of time getting it to run right.....

Comment

I have done an entire carb sync without a fan But I am quick, and shut it off while I am hooking it up and getting ready. Nowhere to plug in a fan

Comment

I don't use fans to synch either, but the total running time is maybe four minutes, spread out over about twenty minutes or so. If it gets to a few minutes running and I'm not done yet, shut it down and wait a little while.
                The engine gets hotter waiting at a long light.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wish to add...

Never use Armour All to clean your GS seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
                    I wish to add...

I did that once on my first bike, the next time I hit the brakes I almost went over the bars.
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      Never oil the chain with the bike running in gear.I got lucky,still have my fingers.Other haven't been so lucky.

Actually, if you're using a spray can of chain lube, the only real danger here is that the bike might accidentally roll off of the center stand. Be sure to block the front wheel...

Comment

The wheel will usually turn nice and slow just running the engine in neutral.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
                          I wish to add...

or your tires...........

Comment

No matter how careful you are, disconnect your battery and bike is in neutral when working connecting your starter solenoid... Unexpectedly completing a circuit and.. GS, exit stage left.... Don't ask...
                            Last edited by mvalenti; 06-09-2012, 10:01 AM.
                            -Mark
                            Boston, MA
                            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                            sigpic
                            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                              No matter how careful you are, disconnect your battery and bike is in neutral when working connecting your starter solenoid... Unexpectedly completing a circuit and.. GS, exit stage left.... Don't ask...

What did it damage besides your pride?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by oldbikefixer View Post
                                Actually, if you're using a spray can of chain lube, the only real danger here is that the bike might accidentally roll off of the center stand. Be sure to block the front wheel...
                                Just don't do it.Was mostly done had a rag in my hand and turned to look at something.Next thing I knew my hand was in the sprocket with my right hand ring finger on the adjuster stopping the engine.Clutch leaver was just out of reach.I was luck because the teeth mostly straddled my fingers but the nail on my index finger is very funky now.Less than 1/2 an inch different placemet on the sprocket? Well I don't want to think about that(shutters).Believe me it's not worth the risk.

Comment

Working...
                                X