1980 GS750E - Replacing Chain and Sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750E - Replacing Chain and Sprockets

I wear out chains, sprockets, tires and brakes way too fast. What can I do to get my chains and sprockets to last longer? What is the best kind of chain to get? I have read there is better chains then O-Ring chains, is that true?

Thanks - David

1980 GS750E

Originally posted by GSer View Post
    I wear out chains, sprockets, tires and brakes way too fast. What can I do to get my chains and sprockets to last longer? What is the best kind of chain to get? I have read there is better chains then O-Ring chains, is that true?

Thanks - David

1980 GS750E
    How many miles is "way too fast"?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

After answering Earl's question, please explain how well you are taking care of them as well as did you ensure your chain were aligned properly?

I made the mistake of not properly aligning my chain the first time I replaced it so it chewed up the inside of my rear sprocket. I also failed to properly clean and oil the chain like i should have. That's all fixed this year now that I was properly shown how to do everything.
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

3 sets of tires in 2 years.
        2 chains and sprockets in 5 years.

I do ride the bike pretty hard, fast starts and stops.

Comment

Do a 630-530 chain and sprocket conversion, I'm in the process of doing one on my 80 GS 750 E. There is a thread on this in the General Maintenance section. How often did you clean and lube your chain and sprockets? 3 sets if tires in 2 years? wow I'm lucky if i go through 1 set in 4 years lol.

Thanks - David

1980 GS750E
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'm on my 2nd set of tires in 7 months. Had the battalax they last 7000km. I have done 10000km (6200mi) since oct. 2011 I did the 530conversion a few weeks ago and it is awesome! Just did a 800km trip too.
            No signature

Comment

Its miles, not time. When I was riding a lot more miles than I have lately, I was wearing out a set of tires every 4000 miles. That meant I replaced both tires every five weeks. Tire mileage has improved and I am guessing around 6000 miles on a set of tires is average. A high quality, "O" ring chain lubed, cleaned and properly adjusted with quality sprockets should last 25,000 miles on average. Even now, I can only dream of only having to buy 3 sets of tires in 2 years. I wish I could get off that light, but I still average about 4 sets per year.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
              X