Thoughts on slightly wandering idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    Of course after the shim fun, you went back and checked/adjusted the mixture screws just in case ?? You said it was pretty close with Carbtune before valve fun, what about after?
    The vacuum sync was spot on after and I didn't even need to adjust it. I didn't change the mixture screws though the thought did occur to me last night that they may need to be looked at again.

Its very odd because it seems like it almost works properly. It will work normally for like a couple seconds and then it will dive back down the to sub 1k and struggle until you blip the throttle.

On the positive side though, I have done about 100 miles since I finished the valves yesterday and the idle has been rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203
      Sounds like the choke circuit quickly loses its fuel supply- strange. I'd just ride some more. At some point, you can drop the fuel bowls and look for obvious clog. Basscliff had something regarding fuel bowl gaskets, see attached pic
      Yeah it can't be anything too crazy since the bike, otherwise, runs so well. That and I clearly remember it starting well from cold with the choke after I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Getting the float bowls off will have to be another rainy day project. Hopefully not as rainy as this past weekend.

Comment

General Update

Originally posted by Phil View Post
        Yeah it can't be anything too crazy since the bike, otherwise, runs so well. That and I clearly remember it starting well from cold with the choke after I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Getting the float bowls off will have to be another rainy day project. Hopefully not as rainy as this past weekend.
        Well I have had my license for about 6 weeks now and rode almost 1,500 miles now on the 450. Today I did about 150 through western Maine and New Hampshire. The bike is running great other than the strange choke issues.

I did finally get new tires. If you need the 110/90 17 for the rear I would suggest DennisKirk.com, it was by far the cheapest (by like $25 bucks), and it seems that IRC is the only maker of this size. Also, if anyone is in the greater Portland area and is looking for an inexpensive place to get tires mounted I would suggest Century Tire in Portland.

Now if only the seat on the 450T was a bit more comfortable! I am thinking I might try the Kancamagus Hwy tomorrow. Who knew a $650 30 year old bike would work out so well!

Comment

Phil said ...."Who knew a $650 30 year old bike would work out so well! "

Yeah, it's sorta amazing! take some time, do the maintenance, and be surprised!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It's great ain't it?

I've done over 5000 km's on my 450 since getting her back on the road in December last year and I just can't get enough.

In less than 1000km's she'll need service number 2 and I plan on keeping those km's ticking over... havin' a ball!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Phil said ...."Who knew a $650 30 year old bike would work out so well! "

Yeah, it's sorta amazing! take some time, do the maintenance, and be surprised!
              Yes, it has definitely reinforced my idea that my next bike will be an 850G. If I can find a job in the near future I will be looking late in the Fall for one and I can spend the Winter and early Spring getting it up to par.

You would think an out of work CPA should be able to find a job easily, but its been a bit over a month so far.

Comment

Lots of bikes on maine Cl- of course, most folks aren't realistic about what they are worth! lots of these owners will be desperate/flexible come fall (if not before !), so you'll have no problem. Big guy? 850 is great choice.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                  Yes, it has definitely reinforced my idea that my next bike will be an 850G. If I can find a job in the near future I will be looking late in the Fall for one and I can spend the Winter and early Spring getting it up to par.

You would think an out of work CPA should be able to find a job easily, but its been a bit over a month so far.
                  Fellow CPA???? Good to see another number cruncher..... and a GS rider to boot!

I'm studying for the exam currently.

Sorry to hear about your luck... Keep at it though!

Comment

Lots of bikes on maine Cl- of course, most folks aren't realistic about what they are worth! lots of these owners will be desperate/flexible come fall (if not before !), so you'll have no problem. Big guy? 850 is great choice.
                    Yeah, I would say somewhat big. I'm 6'2" and about 275 lbs. I had good luck with finding the 450. At $650 the price was more than fair, the only relatively expensive thing it's needed was tires, though it certainly helped that it was November. Turned out to be a great first bike, which had only been my guess since I had never been on a bike when I bought it. If it had a more comfortable seat I would consider keeping it longer. Either way I think I will keep it around as my wife is considering taking the MSF Basic Rider course next Spring and I think the bike would would work well for her, and would probably be all the bike she would ever want.

Comment

Working...
                    X