X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle 1982 GS 650 Pods

Hey Guys,

New member here, but long-time lurker.

Regarding my situation, I know that people will suggest that I should go back to the stock airbox, but I know there are people who are running pods successfully...

The story: My bike is running at 3400 RPM at idle. It starts at around 1000, but then increases until it sits at around 3400. I recently took off the carbs, cleaned em, set float height etc, and added pods. It starts up on a dime with no hesitation at all. I only jetted the mains from 110 (factory) to 120's so that wouldn't affect the idle. I did not re-jet the pilot jet. The bike ran perfectly before I did any of this (except the float bowl overflowed once in winter before I took off the carbs). This is my first bike and i'm pretty much learning as I go...

There are a few things that I checked:

1. choke cable is not engaged (if I engage it, it increases the RPM a bit)
    2. throttle cable has enough slack that it is not holding open the throttle
    3. I played with the idle speed adjustment screw and it didn't change anything
    4. I checked for a vacume leake by starting it and spraying WD40 around where the carb and engine connect and the RPM does not dip at all.

From what i've read, I assume that there could be a few things: 1) the pods are crap (EMGO) and i'm sure some people will tell me to go back to stock airbox. 2) I am not adjusting the idle correctly. 3) not jetted correctly.

Any thoughts? Would changing to K&N pod's make any difference? I'm eager to get my bike on the road and now that i've sorted out my electrical issues I can focus on the carbs. Any success stories with jetting the same bike would be awesome too.

I appreciate the insight guys. Thanks!

Pods (cheap ones no less) on a 650, you should be ashamed! When you took off carbs ( remember the bike ran perfect before!), just how did you clean them? and did you install new o-rings at carb boot/cylinder head interface ? climbing idle usually means air leak as bike warms up.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is one (or more) choke plunger jammed open? Or you have a bad synch. You should be able to get the idle down on the adjuster screw.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. thekeezler,

Sometimes going up 4 sizes might not be enough after installing pod filters. The EMGO pods do not filter much and let in lots of air. Have a look at the carb pages on my little website.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X