No announcement yet.

Dropping float bowls without removing carb-advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just chime in and say this is a piece of pie on my 450... can easily drop the float bowls and do the pilots, mains, and float adjustments.

I think with the tank off I could probably get the needles out too.

I've replaced all the carb screws with stainless allen socket heads though (and liberal amounts of anti seize).
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      I'll just chime in and say this is a piece of pie on my 450...
      With only two carbs, how could it not be?

Comment

Big D_83;
        I wasn't worried about how you cleaned carbs! terminology gets confusing at times. Plus almost every day sees a new guy who claims to have clean carbs, when all he did was pop off bowls , blast with Gumout and pronounce them spotless.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          I'll just chime in and say this is a piece of pie on my 450... can easily drop the float bowls and do the pilots, mains, and float adjustments.

I think with the tank off I could probably get the needles out too.

I've replaced all the carb screws with stainless allen socket heads though (and liberal amounts of anti seize).
          Hey Pete,

thanks for speaking up. I have no doubt the 400/450s and smaller bikes would be a breeze compared to the 550/650. Suzuki really crammed these carbs into a tight space.

I've been following your thread for awhile as I had been looking at a pair of 450s last summer for the girlfriend and myself, until she made it clear that wasn't an option last year. You've been doing some nice work, and I'm a little jealous of your fabrication skills.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I just pulled the #2 bowl, float, and float valve on my 1000. It wasn't easy, but it was easier than pulling the carbs. The hardest part was holding the valve in while reinstalling the float and pin. Ended up putting a big glob of grease on the valve to hold it. I would do it like that again.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
              You have Canadian carbs with adjustable needles. There should not be a cap over the mixture adjustment screw either. I used a modified set of needle nose pliers for getting the circlips out, cheaper than a special tool.
              The ones I have (circlip pliers) are just a little too stubby to make the task easy.

Canadian Tire sells sprung needle nose pliers for $10 that can probably be modified if need be. 7981GS suggested the same thing.

I realized that I had my (shorter) replacement throttle cable sitting in a box on the workbench when I had the carbs out the other night. I wish I had remembered then instead of last night at 9:45. Doesn't look a pleasant task to change it with the carbs sitting in the bike.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                I just pulled the #2 bowl, float, and float valve on my 1000. It wasn't easy, but it was easier than pulling the carbs. The hardest part was holding the valve in while reinstalling the float and pin. Ended up putting a big glob of grease on the valve to hold it. I would do it like that again.
                that will block it up then! bad idea!
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  that will block it up then! bad idea!
                  Depending on the grease used, wouldn't it just dissolve in the gasoline and burn up?
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    Depending on the grease used, wouldn't it just dissolve in the gasoline and burn up?
                    a big glob of grease in your float bowl will easily clog up any one of the jets in there. not to mention actually causing your float needle to stick either open or shut, causing all sorts of problems
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                      With only two carbs, how could it not be?
                      Haha true... just had to speak up though

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      Hey Pete,

thanks for speaking up. I have no doubt the 400/450s and smaller bikes would be a breeze compared to the 550/650. Suzuki really crammed these carbs into a tight space.

I've been following your thread for awhile as I had been looking at a pair of 450s last summer for the girlfriend and myself, until she made it clear that wasn't an option last year. You've been doing some nice work, and I'm a little jealous of your fabrication skills.
                      No probs Big D, it's still a little awkward, but partly for me that's due to the pipe restricting access from the left. I can easily reach all the float bowl screws except the front left one from the right side though.

I think I may have to invest in some Kevlar gloves if I'm going to be doing it while she's hot though as there's definitely lots of skin contact getting your hand in there...

Thanks for the compliment too, first time I'd done that sort of work and I'm really happy with how it all turned out And twin 450's would be cool! Bgmart? Had that until he sold his not too long ago...
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Done this on a cb900 before, it's easy, just make sure you're in a Calm mood.

I took a small Phillips-bit and just clamped a tiny vise-grip onto it, sideways. Then I just made sure to have Upward pressure on the float bowl screw while I turned the pliers. Worked like a champ. (I pinched the Bit with my Index finger and Thumb, to keep pressure Upwards, then I just turned the vise-grip from East to West, with my other hand)

I got the right sized Phillips Bit, from one of those Screwdriver sets that have all the removable tips.

Comment

Working...
                        X