Denver to Seattle, the scenic route....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denver to Seattle, the scenic route....

Been this way many times, on Interstates and other highways. Looking to do the really back roads stuff, using as few state highways and other paved roads as possible. Riding a big dual sport, so crap roads are fine. A week or so enroute would be good. Any great suggestions on roads to ride and places to go along the way?

Avoiding Yellowstone like a plague, it's summer and I don't like crowds and slow riding all that much.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Well, in Oregon it's wide open. I assume you're going west first, so get to US Hwy 40 to 6 to 50 and get over to Winnemuca,NV. Avoid southern ID, the Snake River plain will kill you

I'll start with Denio, NV and go up 205 to the Steen Mt Loop and end up in Frenchglen, OR

Then up to Burns, OR and take the Burns- Izee Rd over the Ochocos to 380 and Paulina, then Prineville, OR. West thru Redmond and Sisters and over Hwy 242.

North on 126 to the junction, then to Detroit on Hwy 22. North on FR 46 to Breitenbush and beyond.

There's lost of possibilities after that. You can ride up forest roads to Mt Ranier and into Seattle. Or cut thru the valley and the Coast Range to the Coast and take Hwy 101 up around the Olympics
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Have to agree, been on most of those.
      How backwoods are they?,,.. expect cows on the road around any corner.

Also consider eastbound Oregon Hwy20 from junction Or Hwy126.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! Actually I'm fairly familiar with those areas. Ridden a lot in Nevada and Oregon. I'm thinking of going North first, then across, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, into washington and avoiding highways as much as possible.

Comment

Sure, go the wrong way around!

Sheridan, WY over the Bighorns on 14, stay west to Lowell, 310 up into MT, double back a few miles to 308 to Red Lodge, continue on 78 to Columbus, I 90 to 191 N to 3 W and north on 89 thru the NF, Great Falls, up thru the park and down to Kalispell

Have you done Lolo Pass thru ID?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hopefully you have checked Touratech ( http://www.touratech-usa.com/) and the Griptwister self tours ( http://www.griptwister.com/olympics.html ) your can do with a GPS around the Olympic National Park. Quilcene, WA to Forks then Hoh River to Lake Cushman is a 600 mile circle of fire roads full of fun. I use my GSA with knobbies or the XR when lazy. Great training route to do the Yukon elements or Deadhorse jaunt.
            The Seattle Touratech flagship USA store is pretty cool if you are downtown by Boeing Field Airport.

Comment

The bicycle folks at Adventure Cycling have some good routes (though they do go through Yellowstone). I like the route through Lander WY to Jackson, over Teton Pass. Idaho your desire. For crossing the Cascades:
              - McKenzie Pass in OR (OR-242)
              - Chinook Pass in WA (Mt Rainier WA-410)
              - North Cascades Hwy in WA (WA-20) (near Canadian border)

Comment

go through north idaho, if you are lucky, you will get lost.

route 12 Missoula to Kooskia (coo-ski)is a fast winding road, but, it has a 50 mph speed limit. it can be busy in july and august. there is a really nice place to stay at Powell id, 50 miles past missoula near the summit of the lolo pass....Lochsa lodge.
                at Kooskia you decide...

A)
                winchester grade (winchester lake state park?)near Grangeville / Lewiston, is worth the slight detour. and if you find yourself at lewiston do the spiral highway that climbs out of there.

B)
                head to Orofino, get off 12 and climb the big hill past the dam and head for Kendrick-Deary-(White pine scenic byway)Emida and you end up at St Maries

Another route
                St joe river road is better than route 12 if you don't mind a little gravel (10 miles) near the summit, it starts at St Regis mt and heads west to St Maries id.
                Last edited by derwood; 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM.
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post

Another route
                  St joe river road is better than route 12 if you don't mind a little gravel (10 miles) near the summit, it starts at St Regis mt and heads west to St Maries id.
                  No, I don't mind gravel, it's a big dirt bike. I'd do the whole thing on gravel and dirt if I could find a route that goes.

Comment

here, 4 maps, 5$.....http://www.comeridewithus.net/Home_Page.php
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Question for you Canadians...

It has been very wet summer so far in BC I hear, do you expect this to continue through the summer, or do you think it may dry out later?

Planning plan B in case the coastal areas are under a deluge all the time. I don't mind riding in some rain but my beautiful bride may think otherwise after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Question for you Canadians...

It has been very wet summer so far in BC I hear, do you expect this to continue through the summer, or do you think it may dry out later?

Planning plan B in case the coastal areas are under a deluge all the time. I don't mind riding in some rain but my beautiful bride may think otherwise after a while.
                        As someone who has had to deal with weather forecasts throughout my career at sea. I can confidently tell you that Environment Canada couldn't predict yesterdays weather.
                        But for what it's worth. I believe they are predicting an exceptionally hot August. How does she feel about forest fire smoke ?
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          How does she feel about forest fire smoke ?
                          We are getting used to it.

Comment

I don't think you have to go through canada to get to seattle from denver. especially the coast. Rainy season is over regardless.
                            Last edited by derwood; 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM.
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              No, I don't mind gravel, it's a big dirt bike. I'd do the whole thing on gravel and dirt if I could find a route that goes.
                              When are you leaving and what's your basic route so far?

When are you going to be done in Seattle?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X