GR650 Tempter help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GR650 Tempter help needed

Looking for help/opinions before I start to take a look inside the clutch of this bike. Excuse me for a long post but this is going to take some explaining.

Some background. The GR650 Tempter is a parallel twin sold in America for one year, 1983, but sold in Europe for about 10 years. I bought this late last fall as a project and to have to run back and forth to work with. It is completely stock and in great shape...no major rust and everything is all there, but it had straight pipes for exhausts. The PO said it had a "small ticking" sound from the top of the engine. Based on how good this bike looked, it's never been laid down, and guessing the small ticking was caused by needing a valve adjustment...I took the chance. $400.

I have since done the following: 1) adjusted and set the valves which were way off and lead me to believe this was the ticking sound, and installed a new valve cover gasket 2) changed the oil, filter and oil pan gasket. Oil was absolutely clear with nothing in the pan. 3) rebuilt the front forks 4) completely cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. 4) installed a new air filter 5) put on a stock exhaust with new exhaust gaskets

The bike fired right up the first try..great! Everything sounded just fine. No ticking sound...it all seemed good. HOWEVER...took it down the street and at about 3,000 rpms the bike just quit going up in speed and rpms. It felt like it just hit a plateau and wouldn't go any higher in speed or rpms. At this point, a knocking sound started from the left side of the engine. Turned it off. Checked the compression on both cylinders and they read almost exactly the same...130 and 132. So I don't believe it's bad pistons.

Now, this bike comes with a Suzuki "exclusive" feature, according to the manual. It reads like this..."This bike comes with a variable mass device. At low rpm, the centrifugal clutch engages the auxiliary mass so it rotates with the crank. Above approx. 3,000 rpms the extra mass is unnecessary and undesirable so the centrifugal clutch disengages the auxiliary mass."

In plain English, there is an approx. 8 lbs of weight that's attached to the crank for extra power and at 3,000 rpms it releases for better acceleration. It looks something like drum brakes with springs,...

Hopefully I have explained this correctly but if anyone can get to a manual, it's explained on page 1-9. Since my problem happens right about 3,000rpms, right when this auxiliary clutch should disengage, I'm guessing that a spring on this auxiliary mass clutch weight has broken or something invloving this system needs attention.

I'm just looking for any opinions, help, or experience with this "auxiliary clutch" system that might back up my best guess before I go looking. Thanks..
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

How do you access the weights? If it's possible to see them without splitting the cases I'd have a look.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

According to the manual, the weight system is behind the stator. So I'll be opening the left side...and taking lots of pics as I go.
      sigpic

Comment

No help, Super, but very interested in what you find.

Old-skool has been inside his GR, but not sure he messed with the flywheel. Hopefully he'll chip in.

Comment

Might also try getting ahold of Big Rich. He has two or three GR's and has done extensive work on them.

He posts mostly in Do The Ton, but it might be worth registering there to get in touch with him.

Comment

Its like our one way clutch's in a way. But this one has the release for the starter similar to a Bendix drive on an automotive starter.

See here:

The flywheel is just behind the starter gear on the crank shaft and is always engaged by springs pulling on friction blocks that connect the crank start gear to the mass. Once up to speed the centrifugal force pulls the blocks away from the mass and allows the crank to freewheel at higher than 3000 rpm.

If your concerned with the springs I would think it would only disengage the mass early on or if it was stuck engaged it would rev slower than normal.

I have a feeling its not that but that knock could be a few things.
            This is all just speculation until you get a stethoscope and find the exact point of the knock. If its the under the stator cover, pull it off and take a look. Something could be rubbing.

What does it do when its not under load ?
            Is the oil overfull?
            what did the plugs look like ?
            Did it bogg as you gave it more gas or backfire or cut out...?
            Did it feel like it was running on one cylinder?
            Last edited by Mekanix; 06-03-2012, 10:22 PM.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks oldrookie. I believe my son knows him on Do The Ton. I'll have him ask but I was hoping for some feedback/info here. I hope you got your Tempter sorted out.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Mekanix. I am thinking along the lines that something's come loose and gets stuck when it disengages thereby not allowing it to get past 3,000rpms. And then it starts making noise. It just seems too coincidental that it has this issue right when it's supposed to disengage. I just can't think of what else it could be.

It is located just behind the stator so I'm going to drain the oil before I open it up.
                sigpic

Comment

What does it feel like when it hits the wall ?

Is the engine under load and struggling or does it just bogg?
                  I'm guessing you weren't there long enough to tell.

Maybe one of the weights are loose it might be hitting the flywheel as it spins down and the crank speeds up or one of the bolts that hold it all together has backed out and is hitting the flywheel the same way.

Where can i get a manual online for it ?
                  Last edited by Mekanix; 06-03-2012, 10:53 PM.
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

What happens is at about 3000rpms, it just stops going any higher in speed and rpms and stays there. It did the same thing through 4 gears...I didn't want to try it in 5th gear.

I found a manual online a while back but don't recall just where. I purchased a manual about 5 months ago. You might be able to find it online. If not, I guess I could email you the one I downloaded.
                    sigpic

Comment

Germany’s COVID-19 infection rate rises after lockdown lifted Dieren Wonen Germany’s COVID-19 infection rate rises after lockdown lifted Coronavirus and smoking: what does the WHO say? Dieren Gezondheid Coronavirus and smoking: what does the WHO say? France’s Ligue 1 will scrap current 2019/20 season Dieren Eten France’s Ligue 1 will scrap current 2019/20 season Dieren […]

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                      What does it feel like when it hits the wall ?

Is the engine under load and struggling or does it just bogg?
                      I'm guessing you weren't there long enough to tell.

Maybe one of the weights are loose it might be hitting the flywheel as it spins down and the crank speeds up or one of the bolts that hold it all together has backed out and is hitting the flywheel the same way.

Where can i get a manual online for it ?

Comment

Thanks, Got it .

looking into it.

What happens is at about 3000rpms, it just stops going any higher in speed and rpms and stays there
                        What happens when you give it more gas? Does it struggle or does it bog.

What happens if you free rev it past 3000?
                        Stephen.
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Mechanix...I never really free revved it past 3,000. When it first fired up, I just blipped the throttle and wasn't thinking about revving it high. At that point, I hadn't ridden it.

As for riding it, at about 3000rpms, as you feel yourself getting pushed back in the seat as it goes up in speed, it all of a sudden just stops gaining speed and it feels as if you've hit a wall. The engine continues running. And at that point, the knocking starts. It doesn't knock when you first fire it up...it sounds good.

Thanks for any help.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok, in that case I'm leaning towards something else causing the problem and guessing carb related.

What does it have for main jets ?
                            Since it had open pipes I'm guessing the PO jetted it rich just to get it to run.

maybe something is causing it to run really lean at that rpm.

Does it keep knocking after you slow down or is it only when you where at 3000?

Those carbs are very sensitive to air filters and exhaust. The symptoms make it sound like others who have installed pod filters and find their bike doesn't rev past a certain point from running too lean.
                            Last edited by Mekanix; 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM.
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

The carbs were completely cleaned and rebuilt by me so I know that they're good and correct. I believe the PO just wanted to make some noise with the straight pipes.

He also used wood screws to bolt the tank down, drilled out the bolt openings in the instrument cluster so he could use wood screws there too and a few other questionable "fixes".

The knocking does continue after I slowed down and brought her to a stop...just not as much as when the bike was running down the street.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X