No announcement yet.

GR650 Tempter help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still going through the manual to see if anything comes to mind.

There is only a few things that cause an engine to just stop revving like that.

running lean
    running rich
    cam timing
    retarded ignition
    tight valves
    inoperative vacuum slides

Thats all I can think of.

I can't think of anything mechanical that would cause that.

What does it look like under the cover?
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks for all your efforts Mechanix. Valves were done and in specs. I just can't understand why she runs just fine until about 3000 rpms. And the knocking doesn't start till then too.

I'm just going to pull that left side case off and take a look just to satisfy my curiosity, as well as being able to eliminate my guessing that it's the auxiliary clutch weight system. Possibly tomorrow if nothing comes up.

Thanks again and I will post what I find in there.
      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Hey, what about an air leak? That would make it run good up to a certain point and run flat like what your getting.

Do you have the auxiliary intake lines hooked up from the bottom of the carb to the intakes?
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Sorry, just reading this, I never tore into or behind the stator, so no help here, and as far as a manual goes, I see you have one now, but I posted one in the Tempter thread I started, I asked for it to be added to the manuals, but that's up to BassCliff if he wants it on his site and up to the moderator to add it to the manual sticky, no-one offered to do either after I requested, so either they didn't see it or decided against. Here it is again in case it's different.

4shared is a perfect place to store your pictures, documents, videos and files, so you can share them with friends, family, and the world. Claim your free 15GB now!
          Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Mechanix...yep, the auxiliary air lines from the carbs are hooked up. We're good there. Thanks again.

Old skool, thanks for the input. I actually did go to Basscliff's site to see if he added the manual you offered and saw it wasn't there. And I have been following your Tempter thread. It looks exactly like mine...but your's runs!! And you did a great job on it too. Sorry to hear of your wife's health issues and wish her and you the best. Hang on to the Tempter for now...who knows what might happen. And it looks cool!!

Again, thanks to everyone who's added their thoughts to this thread. It's just time for me to do something new, dig into it and see what I find out.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
              Old skool, thanks for the input. I actually did go to Basscliff's site to see if he added the manual you offered and saw it wasn't there. And I have been following your Tempter thread. It looks exactly like mine...but your runs!! And you did a great job on it too. Sorry to hear of your wife's health issues and wish her and you the best. Hang on to the Tempter for now...who knows what might happen. And it looks cool!!
              Thanks! I think as nice a bike as it is, we're still going to get rid of it, it will be next season before she can ride again, and if she decides to try again, we're thinking along the lines of an 800 Intruder, sits low, easy to maneuver, more power if needed, and she likes the lope lope of the twins, and she likes the looks of them as well, if she decides against riding altogether, I may just get a GK or larger twin for her and I on longer cruises, and keep my 1100.

Comment

Any way you could post a video ?
                Stephen.
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Not going to be able to post a video...but I'll see what I can do.
                  sigpic

Comment

The more information you can get the better.
                    Stephen.
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Started taking things apart for a look see. Taking some pics as I go and will post what I find if my hunt for the culprit is successful.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey Super,

Any progress on the GR mystery?

Comment

Hey oldrookie,

As it stands now, I have taken it apart as far as I could but couldn't get that one major bolt loose to get to the parts (auxiliary clutch assembly) that I need to get to.

Also, I found that I needed a dreaded "Special Suzuki Tool" ..the Rotor Holder Tool...to hold the rotor so I could loosen the bolt. Me and the boys tried several ways to try and loosen it but got to where I was afraid if we kept at it, we were bound to break/strip something. Frustration being what it is...

Bike Bandit and several other places wanted $100 plus for it but found one on Craigslist for $50 and it's in the mail as we speak. Should get it Saturday and go from there.

But on the bright side....to make a long story short...picked up an '82 GS850 today, all there, 12k miles and with title for $100!!! The next project...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                            picked up an '82 GS850 today, all there, 12k miles and with title for $100!!! The next project...

Damn good deal! The deals seam to be popping up again, all the high dollar increases since spring seem to be slipping probably from no takers.

Comment

There's a back story to this buy but the bottom line is I got lucky. Be nice to people and some times they remember you and make you an offer that you just can't refuse. I got lucky!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Must admit...I really, really enjoy the GR, but a bigger bike for longer rides would not be turned away because of it.

Local guy has a GS850 for sale, but 18x your price and it is a no sale to me. Might be worth it, but I don't have it.

Looking forward to pics of the two projects in process.

Comment

Working...
                                X