No announcement yet.

GR650 Tempter help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok...so I got the "Special Suzuki Tool" to hold the rotor while I try to take off the rotor securing bolt. That baby is on there tight!!! NOT BUDGING A BIT!!

My next plan of attack is to use some heat on it. I'm going to spend a few days heating it up to try and break down the loctite before I try loosening again. This is the first bike I've worked on where EVERY bolt was loctited (is that a proper word?). The battle continues...
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Here's the latest update. Finally got the special tool, but had to use some heat and the proper flywheel puller/bolt to get the flywheel off. The auxillary flywheel weight system is behind the flywheel.

The auxillary flywheel system of weights and springs looks absolutley PRISTINE!! No visible damage and it looks brand new. So once again, I'm at a loss as to which way to go.

The latest decision by the "brain trust" is to put it all back together again, crank her up and run her up and down the street a couple of times with the video camera taped on the gas tank. That way we can see and hear exactly what she's doing again. The last time, we turned her off pretty quickly (up and down the street twice) as we were a little afraid of major damage as the knocking got louder the longer she ran.

What's also confusing me is that the knocking is sporadic, like once every 5 or 6 seconds. And it didn't start knocking till it had been run down the street, at start up idle there was no knocking at all and sounded fine. Seems to me if there was a major piston issue, it should knock a LOT, and right away. Am I wrong on that assumption?

Will update later..
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
        Here's the latest update. Finally got the special tool, but had to use some heat and the proper flywheel puller/bolt to get the flywheel off. The auxillary flywheel weight system is behind the flywheel.

The auxillary flywheel system of weights and springs looks absolutley PRISTINE!! No visible damage and it looks brand new. So once again, I'm at a loss as to which way to go.

The latest decision by the "brain trust" is to put it all back together again, crank her up and run her up and down the street a couple of times with the video camera taped on the gas tank. That way we can see and hear exactly what she's doing again. The last time, we turned her off pretty quickly (up and down the street twice) as we were a little afraid of major damage as the knocking got louder the longer she ran.

What's also confusing me is that the knocking is sporadic, like once every 5 or 6 seconds. And it didn't start knocking till it had been run down the street, at start up idle there was no knocking at all and sounded fine. Seems to me if there was a major piston issue, it should knock a LOT, and right away. Am I wrong on that assumption?

Will update later..

See if it will knock at idle or on the stand reved up slightly, it's the only way to determine where it's coming from, you can't really tell on the back of it riding down the street. Sounds like an engine tear down in the future, but be sure first.

Comment

While your in there give the crank a shake in all directions. It could be a bad thrust bearing.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

old skool...there was no knock of any kind when we first started her up and revved her up on the center stand. No knock at all. That's what's perplexing me...if a major internal engine problem is going on , wouldn't we hear it then? I am leaning toward an engine break down too but looking for some kind of direction before I do that on the off case I'm just missing something.

Mekanix..will check the crank. Any chance that can be checked on the flywheel side of the engine? I already have that side open..

Thanks to both of you for your help..
            sigpic

Comment

Once the knock started, did it continue at idle? Or did you shut it down too quickly to make that call.

Thought of you the other day when mine started making a knocking sound. Had had an issue with the float needle allowing the bike to flood and I suspected there was gas in the oil. Changed it and the knock has not reoccurred.

Comment

Its easy, Put the rotor back on and pull towards you to make the crank come all the way out to the thrust bearing. Then push it back in. There might be a clunk as the crank walks from side to side.

There are 8 bearing shells that stop up and down movement and two thrust bearings that stop it from moving side to side.

It could be the counterbalance shaft that is clunking.

Also the flywheel is free floating once it hits that RPM so it could be moving in and out and causing the clunk.

It really depends on where the knock is coming from and what sound it makes.Each section of the engine has its own noise
                Stephen.
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Oldrookie..yes, the knock did continue after we ran it down the street but again, it was the odd, sporadic knock as I mentioned in an above post.

Mekanix..thanks for the info. I will have to review the shop manual before I start pulling things out. But again, thanks all and I will update later.
                  sigpic

Comment

So here's the latest update.

I have decided that it's not the smart thing to put it back together and try running her down the street and back. I know she's got a bad knock...I know it's not the auxillary flywheel weight...I know it stops running up in power at about 3k rpms and feels like it actually slips back to first gear...

So I'm just going to pull the motor and open her up and see what the heck is wrong!

I've always wanted to rebuild an engine at least once and it seems that a twin cylinder will be easier than a 4 cylinder so what the heck. I will probably stretch it out over the summer, take my time, ask a lot of questions and ask for advice and help and hopefully have a fresh running engine in the end.

I was having trouble dealing with making this decision as everything else on this bike is good to go. Rebuilt forks, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, new sprockets, new chain, new rear tire, oil filter and oil change, valves properly adjusted, etc, etc...and I was hanging on to the hope that I could find that one, small, something to figure out the problem. But then reality kicked me in the head and said.."Just do it already". So for better or worse, here we go.

If anyone has rebuilt a twin engine before and has any advice, suggestions, tips, etc, please let me know.
                    sigpic

Comment

There is a nuther member on the forum with loud metallic knocking form his GR

His looks like it is spitting out a shim
                      Do you have to OEM manual for the bike?
                      I found one but its is french.

Comment

Sorry Super, I just saw this thread. And aside from what's already been mentioned, I'm at a loss as well.

I may have missed it, but are you sure it's coming from the bottom end? Maybe it could be the starter clutch jumping in and out? Obviously just guessing........

Comment

There is another member on the forum with loud metallic knocking form his GR

His looks like it is spitting out a shim
                          Do you have to OEM manual for the bike?
                          I found one but its is french.
                          Unfortunately he's trying to squeeze a rod bearing out one piece at a time
                          I hope its not that.

Here's the manual, I asked earlier on and got it, hope it still works, I had to try a few times.

Would be a nice addition to bascliff's

Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

You can download my manual here without all the install crap--->http://www.4shared.com/office/uhx2-k...l?refurl=d1url

Comment

Jeeprusty..yes, I saw his thread about the shim. I do have a shop manual and was going to use it, with a little help from my friends here on GSR, to take it apart and rebuild it.

Big Rich..I don't have any experience with the starter clutch jumping in and out. I did put in a new (used) starter in the very beginning of getting this bike up and running.

I have taken the left side covers off of the bike apart, with the flywheel being taken out. All gears, starter teeth, starter pinion look just fine, no damaged teeth or marks of abnormal wear. What would the symptoms be if it is the starter clutch jumping in and out? How could I check if this might be the problem? Put it back together but leave case off and hit the starter a few times? And if this is the problem, what would I do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Of course the only downside of taking the engine apart would be finding out it's not the engine but something simple. Then I've spent a lot of time and money doing something that was unnecessary.

Thanks to everyone who's offered their opinions...it helps and I appreciate it.
                              sigpic

Comment

That was just a wild guess - if it doesn't have any unusual wear, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm wondering if the clunk sound and the loss of power are really related? Have you checked that the timing chain is set properly?

Comment

Working...
                                X