No announcement yet.

GR650 Tempter help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to explain. It's not the bolt I'm having trouble drilling into right now. It's the left over metal slag from where we tried to weld a hex bit onto to it (so we could break loose the bolt) that's causing the problem.

I was able to chisel off enough of the excess metal so as to have a semi-flat surface to drill into. If I could just get a little starting hole going I think there will be some progress then.

And for the record...welding an old bit onto a stripped bolt has worked well for me in the past. The problem this time, and I was concerned from the beginning, is that this bolt is down a small "tunnel" ...so welding was going to be difficult. And it was. But thought it was at least worth a try considering our success doing this in the past.
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Adamantium...awesome! Some times it seems like it...
      sigpic

Comment

progress with the new bits ?
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

It's a no go right now. Let me try and explain better. The bolt I'm working on is in the top of the oil filter cavity. After you remove the oil filter, as the bike stands normally on the ground, it would be located straight up as if you're going towards the seat. There's 2 of them.

So you have to go through a "tunnel" per se with the bit going through the entire oil filter area which requires a pretty long bit. Then, you add that the actual bolt is inside another "tunnel", it's gets even harder to get everything lined up. So I have an extension for my drill but the only bit long enough is fairly large and that makes it hard to get the tip of the bit to bite. It just wants to slide off to the side.

The new bits I bought have added another degree of frustration. I have to feed the drill extension into the oil filter cavity and pull it through a tunnel to insert into the drill. Then add the drill bit...but...the drill bit is about 1/4 inch TOO LONG to get it to fit into the drill bit extension. Aaaargghhh! I can't shorten the drill bit base because it's has a special base that fits into the drill extension.

My next option is to use a machine shop or.....I've been looking at my table top drill press. I'm thinking I might be able to unscrew the base, turn it around so the the base is out of the way, line up my Workmate bench, and maybe get it drilled out that way. Or...maybe go to a machine shop.

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm of the mindset that if I screw it up, I'm going to figure out how to fix it myself. For 2 reasons..1) so I know how to fix it if I (or someone else) screw it up in the future..and 2) as a penalty to myself for being such an idiot to let it get this far.

I will update..luckily I'm off this weekend and hopefully, will get it figured out.
          sigpic

Comment

I can appreciate your points one and two, but there are people who can look at what you did, fix it and teach you how to avoid doing it again or fix it. Teachers/mentors are valuable too.

Punishing yourself by further screwing up the bike seems a bit counter-productive.

Comment

oldrookie...what's the old adage?,,why was the man banging hs head against the wall?..because it feels so good when he quit...just kidding.

I agree with your comment...but here's the latest. Took the engine to my son's shop where we, in a very surgical way, used a plasma cutter to get a good bit of the extra metal off the bolt head. I now have a "reasonable" amount of room to work with. I'm going to give it one last try to drill the bolt out, but not holding out a lot of hope for success.

If this doesn't work, I'll be shopping for a good machine shop. As I'm looking to get my head feeling a lot better when I'm done banging it against this engine...
              sigpic

Comment

Pulling for ya', Super.

Put another 75 miles on today and didn't have to beat my head against anything to feel good.

Comment

Aaarrrrgh! That hurts...that just plain hurts.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sorry. My bad.

Comment

Have to figure, once you get this done--the rest should be easy, right?

Comment

Yep..that's the plan any way. But I'm lining up a machine shop, probably for the inevitable.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Been reading the thread because interested in the Tempter. So, how is it going?

Comment

Latest update: Engine completely apart about 3 months ago. Found out that one of the nuts on the left hand connecting rod had come loose, but not completely off, causing the knocking noise. Ruined the connecting rod and crankshaft.

Spent the next 3 months getting all the parts necessary for the engine rebuild. Gaskets, new used crankshaft, small parts, and new bearings. Bearings being the main issue. Finally got what I needed from a guy in the Netherlands!! Lots of cleaning up of parts, scraping off old gaskets and organizing everything. Cleaned up the pistons and valves and installed new valve guides. Going to lap the valves in the next couple of days.

But first I have to find a crankshaft thrust bearing somewhere in the 2 tubs of disassembled parts. Right now I only have one and the fiche shows two. I know it's in a baggie in a tub, just gotta find it. Then the actual "rebuild" process begins.

Wish me luck!
                            sigpic

Comment

My bad! Only one thrust bearing for the crankshaft. When you can't figure something out...check the service manual. Duh! Onward and upward.
                              sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear you're still at it Super.

Comment

Working...
                                X