Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of battery in 1983 450?

Hello all,

This is my first post here so hopefully you can help me out.

I was just given a 1983 Suzuki 450 and it doesn't have a battery so I need to figure out what kind to get.

Let me first start by saying, this is my very first bike, I'm a 26 year old grad student and I've never even ridden a motorcycle before but my friend had this bike for 3 years and hadn't even started it in 2 years so he said if I get it running it's mine. I'm no means a professional mechanic but he said I should be ok just getting it running. I'd love any advice you all can give me. I'd love to eventually turn it into a bobber/Cafe Racer but this summer my plans are to get it up and running and get my motorcycle endorsement.

If once I get a new battery the bike doesn't start what are the likely causes? I will have already drained the gas, oil. Changed air filter and spark plugs. He said I may need to rebuild the carbs, what is a decent price for a rebuild kit?

Cheers All

Welcome to the GSR,

Like you, I had never ridden a motorcycle before acquiring the GS. Also like you, the bike was mine free on the conditions that I got it running and going. I had also only wrenched on cars, and the motorcycle world is surely different. Once the GS was nearly road ready, I jumped on and carefully acquainted myself. Then it was off to the Basic Rider Course.

On the maintenance of things: Wait until BassCliff comes along with the welcome wagon. All of the things you should need to do will be there. Your carburetors most likely will only need a thorough cleaning and o-rings which are quite inexpensive. A complete rebuild kit is usually unnecessary. Start with this for sure. The gas that has been sitting in the tank and carbs for 2 years (unless your friend is awesome and drained them) has clogged everything, especially if it contained ethanol.

As far as the battery: I have a BikeMaster TruGel sealed battery. Expensive I guess but good so far and maintenance-free. If you do the mentioned maintenance first the bike may even fire up first time and keep from wearing it out.

Have fun. Don't get too discouraged. All of the solutions are here.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

If it is an '83...

Keep your bike going strong with a replacement Suzuki GS450 battery from Battery Mart. Here you can buy motorcycle batteries online from top manufacturers.

Eric

Comment

the 12 is 12 amp hour.
        some of the other digits have to do with physical size.
        some of the other digits have to do with location of the terminals.

Mail order batterys do not come with the acid. WIll have to get that somewhere else. Which is why I always get battery locally.

Can find motocycle batterys at larger autoparts stores, but may not have specific number that your bike calls for.

Assuming you have and want to use the elctric start, you are going to want the same amphour rating.
        And do check physical size, and do check that the + and the - are on correct sides or your wiring may not reach.

Most autoparts stores will have the more common YB14L-A2 that has fit my 3 GSes I have had over the last 30 years (650G, 850G, 1100G, positive on right).
        But I see the battery someone found for you above is different than that.
        12 verse 14 and +/-terminals on opposite sides.

Last edited by Redman; 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It is a shorter battery than the larger bikes use. Specs are given:

BatteryMart.com is an online battery store for discount batteries including motorcycle batteries, alkaline batteries, lead acid batteries at affordable rates.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool_AZ View Post
            ...... I'd love to eventually turn it into a bobber/Cafe Racer but this summer my plans are to get it up and running and get my motorcycle endorsement.

Yes, get it running first.
            Get your endorsmsnt (do take MSF class if availalble. WHere are you located).
            Get some riding expereince.
            Notice how well the bike handels. THen realize that what ever you do to hack bob it is going to make it worse not better.

Dave.

>> Later note:
            Oh, based on the "Liverpool" and the "Cheers" .... let me scratch the "MSF" comment.

WHen I was in England, went to a football match (not a soccer game), at the Liverpool grounds (not the stadium) Liverpool vs. ManU. Went with a guy from Brimingham. He told me to not say a word to anybody and to take off my AYSO (American Youth Soccer Org) hat. This was about 1997 I think, last year of the "standing section". He also advised me not to raise up on my toes to look over people if the play came cuase if guy behind got annoyed he would only have to give a little push and all would fall over. Anyway, after a while someone asked him for a smoke, I think all he said was "sure" or something like that. Then a cry aroze, "Hey, we got us a yam yam here!"
            He grabed my elbow and we quickly went somewhere else.
            Last edited by Redman; 06-11-2012, 12:58 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X