No announcement yet.

Stewart- Cassiar Highway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ferry from Rupert will take you to Port Hardy on Vancouver Is. Normally on the southern ferries you won't need a reservation. Bikes go down a separate lane and are first on first off. But don't be late or you'll go on last. I will call BC ferries this morning about Rupert, but I'm pretty sure it's the same.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

I guess I was wrong. They do recommend reservations for a motorcycles. However unlike cars, there is no charge for the reservations. Arrive half an hour early to ensure your place.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        I guess I was wrong. They do recommend reservations for a motorcycles. However unlike cars, there is no charge for the reservations. Arrive half an hour early to ensure your place.
        OK, thanks for checking.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

OK< back to this question, please....
          Dirt and gravel roads in Northern part of BC, are they mostly OK on street tires? Mostly rock or mostly mud? Need something a little more aggressive than a smooth road tire? Do the roads tend to be smooth or rocky and rough? The bike is very capable off road but going two up and loaded anything too rough will suck. I will need tires by the time I leave Seattle, should I go with Dual Sport type tires? Tyres?

Has anyone ridden on the non paved roads in this area?

Thanks!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            OK< back to this question, please....
            Dirt and gravel roads in Northern part of BC, are they mostly OK on street tires? Mostly rock or mostly mud? Need something a little more aggressive than a smooth road tire? Do the roads tend to be smooth or rocky and rough? The bike is very capable off road but going two up and loaded anything too rough will suck. I will need tires by the time I leave Seattle, should I go with Dual Sport type tires? Tyres?

Has anyone ridden on the non paved roads in this area?

Thanks!
            That's a pretty broad question. In BC the roads can be anything from smooth hard pack gravel that just about any street bike with regular tires can manage at a good speed to rutted pieces of snot that full knobs just might get you through. That being said just about any well travelled gravel roads, and there are lots, would be suitable for general street bike use as they usually see lots of traffic. Most gravel roads you will find on a regular road map would be of this type. We even have gravel roads with designated highway numbers. If you're running into the rutted pieces of snot you're mostly trying to go a route you shouldn't be on and it'll probably dead end soon anyway. Due to a lot of wierd weather throughout the province this year what was a good road last year might even be gone this year. As for the getting off the pavement it is probably best to inquire with the locals when you get to each particular area. I know, it's hard to plan a trip this way but I guess that's part of the adventure. I've never joined the Avid Rider forum but if you don't get any better response than mine it might be an idea to try that site.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Tom,

I did the Cassiar a few years back and you'll love it. BC is beautiful country and one of my favorite parts of Canada. Take good rain gear with you as it will most likely rain this time of the year and watch out for landslides as they are common on Cassiar. Gas stations are plenty but fill up at every station specially if the tank is small.

Here's the post from when i was up there:

Teslin Lake to Prince George is 1600 km on the Cassiar highway. Cassiar highway runs through some of the most isolated regions of British Columbia and is packed with bears, glaciers&#8230;

Comment

Working...
              X