The skinny on turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The skinny on turn signals

I am modifying my 78' GS550 and am removing the gauges completely to give it a more 'naked' look up front. Now I know the first question that you will ask is "why would you do that?" I know, I know...decision made.
    The problem that I am running into is that the turn signals don't work any more. It looks like I need to connect some wires from one of the 2 harnesses that plug into the gauge cluster, but I don't know which ones to connect to bypass the indicator lamps. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. rustydusty,

The stock flasher unit wants to see a specific load before it can flash the blinkers. If you have removed or changed any bulbs then there may no longer be enough resistance in the system for the flasher to work. You can try substituting an electronic flasher or a little 2-prong "can" flasher. See the electrical section of my website for more information.

Now I'm going to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I bet without the loop going to the indicator light in the speedo, you have an open circuit, so nothing can light up or flash.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks

Thanks BassCliff and tkent02! I'm heading to an auto parts store today to pick up a can flasher and wire it up. tkent02, I think you are right. I've found the wires and connected them, but with the old flasher it doesn't work properly, so I am going to try it again with the can flasher that BassCliff mentioned on his site. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X