turbo 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo 450?

I just am curious if anyone has ever placed a turbo on a gs450? i know anything is possible, but just curious if anyone has done it. My dad has an 83 gs750es that he installed a turbo on and after several phone conversations I decided it was atleast a thought to entertain. i know it wont be the fastest bike out there, but it sure would be fun.

If you put a turbo on a 450- you'd be the first. Good luck.

Comment

as you state "anything is possible" you would have to do a lot of research and it WILL end up being very expensive. apart from the turbo itself and all the engine mods to go with it, you would certainly need to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well.
      good luck
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        as you state "anything is possible" you would have to do a lot of research and it WILL end up being very expensive. apart from the turbo itself and all the engine mods to go with it, you would certainly need to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well.
        good luck
        To have a reliable machine it takes a lot more than just bolting on a turbo and supplying oil pressure feed and return lines and modifying the intake and exhaust. You'd probubly need to lower the compression as well. Such a major undertaking doesn't seem worth the cost/effort...but to each his own.
        If you want a turbocharged motorcycle, buying one engineered as a turbo from the start would be easier and might cost less and would be more reliable.
        It would be easier to take a modern crotch rocket engine and change the mounts to fit your 450, but then you'd have the power,but also the need for better brakes and suspension.
        On the other hand- maybe you can teach me a thing or two about turbocharging naturally aspirated machines...

Comment

never got that far into the thought process of what it takes to do it. i know my dad bought a used turbo kit off a gs1100 and intsalled it on his gs750. he has had the turbo on his bike since 2001 and it's a fun ride. my dad told me he has a few extra turbos and carbs he picked up over the years. i figured maybe i could put something together, but after further conversations with him i decided just to take his 750 off his hands. he has back problems and hasnt been able to ride it and he now rides a honda cruiser. he said if i make the drive from colorado to southern california to pick it it up i can have it. guess i will tweak the 750 and use it as a toy and keep the 450 as a spring/summer daily driver. sorry to take up the space in the forums, but aprreciate the input

Comment

I reckon if money was not an object and a person did it just for sh*ts and giggles and no other reason, it would be a pretty cool project.
            Everything had to be done for the first time by somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
              never got that far into the thought process of what it takes to do it. i know my dad bought a used turbo kit off a gs1100 and intsalled it on his gs750. he has had the turbo on his bike since 2001 and it's a fun ride. my dad told me he has a few extra turbos and carbs he picked up over the years. i figured maybe i could put something together, but after further conversations with him i decided just to take his 750 off his hands. he has back problems and hasnt been able to ride it and he now rides a honda cruiser. he said if i make the drive from colorado to southern california to pick it it up i can have it. guess i will tweak the 750 and use it as a toy and keep the 450 as a spring/summer daily driver. sorry to take up the space in the forums, but aprreciate the input
              This is what the forum is for. Sounds like you have a good affordible plan now. We look forward to seeing pictures of this T/GS750 and the GS450.

Comment

That is right, we like pictures, lots of them....

Comment

workin on getting my dad to takepics of the 750 and as for the 450 it may be a while before i have money to do it now i have to pay off a speeding ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
                    workin on getting my dad to takepics of the 750 and as for the 450 it may be a while before i have money to do it now i have to pay off a speeding ticket.
                    speeding ticket? OOooopppsss...

Comment

1991 GS500E fuel injected turbo bike doing a burnout

Almost the same idea. There's a turbo gs500 dragbike on Youtube doing a 140hp dyno pull.

Comment

the cop called it speeding i called it defensive driving. it was a 4 door buick vs me on my 450, he almost hit me and i got on it to get past him and th cop clocked me at 40 in a 25

Comment

Turbo-Yes!

Although the turbo for the 1100 is too large for a 450, it will work but there are a lot of other things to factor in and upgrade. Try a new, IHI or Garret specifically for the 450cc sized engine.
                          Laters
                          Greg
                          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

why not go for nitrous on your 450? much cheaper to buy, easier to fit with minimal engine mods, will give you the power boost you desire, and looks cool with a N20 bottle bolted to the bike
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                            X