1981GS650GL Swingarm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981GS650GL Swingarm question

Hello GS gurus, im new to the site hailing from Long Island NY and i have a question regarding the plastic "bearing" inside my frame where the swingarm pivots. I dont know that the part in the schematic on cmsnl.com looks EXACTLY the same as the part that fell out upon removing my swingarm.

The part looks like a black circular plastic "basket" with small steel bearings inside. It had old grease on it and neither the rusty bearings or the plastic "shell" were in any condition to be re-used.

If any one could point me in the right direction to purchase this part it would be much appreciated! And for the record i searched before posting

Attached pic will be hard to read, so go to its website for better view. Probably what you are talking about is bearing itself (#2 in pic)-plastic thing is probably remains of bearing's dust seal. You can buy these thru suzuki dealer, but be cheaper to go to bearing supply store, as they are likely to be standard metric sized bearings. They just fell out?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. MataPutaGS650,

Being that you're in the States you may want to order from a domestic OEM vendor (cmnsl.com is in the Netherlands). You'll find a list of our favorite vendors in your "mega-welcome".

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

Here is the parts fiche picture from partshark.com:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Not 100% certain as it's a while since I changed mine but I reckon you are looking for a taper roller bearing 30202.
          You can get one from a bearing supply store for next to nothing. If you get the Suzuki part it is very expensive. Although the Suzuki bearing does have a rubber seal (which makes it a 30202RS)
          When I changed mine I used a normal 30202.
          GS1000G

Comment

Wow you guys are freakin awesome!!!
            Basscliff thanks for that megawelcome its going to be mega useful in putting my bike back on the road!!!
            Its awesome to see all the support, cant wait to lend some help to the next GS'r

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
              Not 100% certain as it's a while since I changed mine but I reckon you are looking for a taper roller bearing 30202.
              You can get one from a bearing supply store for next to nothing. If you get the Suzuki part it is very expensive. Although the Suzuki bearing does have a rubber seal (which makes it a 30202RS)
              When I changed mine I used a normal 30202.
              YESSSSS!!!! THATS IT!!!! Thanks man!!

Comment

So i can use a generic taper roller wheel bearing 30202 and it would work??

Comment

Originally posted by MataPutaGS650 View Post
                  A LOT better than the "plastic bearing" that you thought it had in your original post.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by MataPutaGS650 View Post
                    yep, thats what I used and it's been ok for about 3 years, may not last as long as a Suzuki one if you ride in the rain a lot as it's not got a rubber seal on.
                    GS1000G

Comment

useful info here as my swingarm has some side to side play in it

Comment

Bumping this thread. My bearings on my '83 GS650G are rusty and the races were somewhat gouged. While they still spun freely, since I did some welding on the swingarm to mount a lithium battery and am having it powder coated, I figured I might as well replace them. I stopped by a local bearing supplier and they said the 30202RS is a custom made bearing for Suzuki, as no one makes the 30202 with a seal. I placed an order at almost $40 each for the OEM bearings, but they are back ordered with no ETA.

So would using a standard 30202 without a seal be just fine as some of you have said? My bike won't see the rain.

EDIT: Also, luckily I found a nice tip online about removing inner races where you don't have access to the back side. I used my welder to run a bead all along the race, then was able to use a pick tool to pull it out (it did take some time though). Was a much better option than cutting it and running the risk of cutting into the housing.
                        1983 GS650G
                        Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

No biggie , you could make your own dust cover seal since bearing just swings like 25 degrees or so. These bearings come up all the time on ebay.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just an update for anyone that might find this useful. I ended up ordering the OEM bearings, but they are out of stock with no ETA. So I just got some 30202 from a local bearing supply house, pressed in the races, packed them with Bel-Ray grease, then utilized some 1" plastic hole covers as dust shields. I trimmed them to fit and they are almost exactly 35mm OD once squished in there. Because the plastic might interfere with the tapered surface between the inner race and the pivot shaft I'll be sure to re-torque it every so often. Here are the pics...

1983 GS650G
                            Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

I am going to resurrect this oldie - what plastic covers did you use? are they widely available in HW stores?

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post
                              Just an update for anyone that might find this useful. I ended up ordering the OEM bearings, but they are out of stock with no ETA. So I just got some 30202 from a local bearing supply house, pressed in the races, packed them with Bel-Ray grease, then utilized some 1" plastic hole covers as dust shields. I trimmed them to fit and they are almost exactly 35mm OD once squished in there. Because the plastic might interfere with the tapered surface between the inner race and the pivot shaft I'll be sure to re-torque it every so often. Here are the pics...

1982 Suzuki GS650G project in BRG
                              2004 Honda CRF250r
                              2010 HD FatBob in Black
                              2007 HD XL883L in Maroon - sold
                              2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 daily rider in Red - sold
                              2006 Triumph Bonneville America in Grey - sold

Comment

Working...
                              X