Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purpose of breather hose from top of engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purpose of breather hose from top of engine?

Bike: '81 GS650 G

What exactly is the purpose of the hose that runs from the top of the engine to the airbox? I realize that it is the "breather" hose. Why would the engine also need to breath from this hose as well?

that is the ONLY breather on the engine. stops internal pressure build up inside the engine
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Crank case evacuation.
      Emissions.

Eric

Comment

It is to allow the 'crankcase vapors' to be introduced into the intake stream, so they can be burned in the combustion chambers instead of just being vented into the open atmosphere like you would have with a road draft tube. Think of it as an emission reduction system.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

______________________ ______________________

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            It is to allow the 'crankcase vapors' to be introduced into the intake stream, so they can be burned in the combustion chambers instead of just being vented into the open atmosphere like you would have with a road draft tube. Think of it as an emission reduction system.
            It's there to introduce dirty oil vapors, acid, and whatever else your engine holds back into your air box to foul out your carburetors, at least that's how I see it. Ever look inside your airbox and see all the crap that's built up from it? Sticky and gooey, and since it's attached to your air box, the carb suction is literally sucking out all that vaporized stuff from your engine and feeding it back into the carbs. I believe they call it positive crankcase ventilation.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Steve, I didn't use the word positive because there is no metered orifice connected to ported vacuum. The method used is a bit more hit and miss than the PCV systems used on a vehicle.

Dave... that rough of a day eh?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Steve, I didn't use the word positive because there is no metered orifice connected to ported vacuum. The method used is a bit more hit and miss than the PCV systems used on a vehicle.

You're the man Dale! if it did have a metered orifice it would probably get clogged all the time, like the one on a town car I used to have did.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

It has been. And on THAT note... I'm headed out. Elvis is leaving the building, only to return again, tomorrow.

Comment

There is another.......

Hole, under the starter cover, excellent for trapping spilt gasoline and pouring it into the engine. This would be the air intake hole. Air comes out the top from the vacuum of the intake.
                    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                      There is another.......

Hole, under the starter cover, excellent for trapping spilt gasoline and pouring it into the engine. This would be the air intake hole. Air comes out the top from the vacuum of the intake.
                      There have only been two holes under any starter cover that I have opened.

One is the perfect size to hold the end of the starter motor, and is usually filled with one. The other is at the bottom, and actually goes straight to the bottom of the engine. It is only a drain for the starter cavity, it does not go into the crankcase at all. You can find several references to it in the forum by doing a search for "mystery hole".

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The round Earth hoax, and science conspiricy…

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        There have only been two holes under any starter cover that I have opened.

One is the perfect size to hold the end of the starter motor, and is usually filled with one. The other is at the bottom, and actually goes straight to the bottom of the engine. It is only a drain for the starter cavity, it does not go into the crankcase at all. You can find several references to it in the forum by doing a search for "mystery hole".

Or, look for: idiot, PO, and previous owner.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Or, look for: idiot, PO, and previous owner.
                          That's usually under "@$$hole", not "mystery hole"

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread. Reading he replies, my question is: is there any benefit (except environmental) to having the breather hose attached to the air box, instead of just being disconnected?

Comment

Originally posted by J2Bs View Post
                              Sorry to hijack this thread. Reading he replies, my question is: is there any benefit (except environmental) to having the breather hose attached to the air box, instead of just being disconnected?
                              Disconnected and what, capped? Post #2 mentions the pressure build up in the engine. That pressure build up has been mentioned in other threads as a possible cause of oil leaks elsewhere on the engine.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                              X