Seat pattern- GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat pattern- GS650G

From what bike model/year does this seat pattern belong?

Ad says 1983 GS650G, but it has the wrong grab bar for my 650GD, and is definitely not the same pattern as my stock seat.

Image not available
    Last edited by BigD_83; 06-26-2012, 02:48 AM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Looks like it is from a L model. terrylee

Comment

If it's not a stock seat, it's a darn good imitation of one.

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
      Looks like it is from a L model. terrylee
      Nope, the L has a bigger step.

This is an '82 650L

This is the one in the auction

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I tried to capture that image out of EBay, but couldn't. How did you do it?

EDIT- I got it. I have one of the fancy magic mice at work and sometimes it doesn't select images properly.

I agree. The seat looks very good, but I'm wondering if it is from an 81 or 82 instead of an 83, or if there were some differences between the Canadian and US pattern in 1983. You can see the difference in the pattern and the grab rail (flat aluminum bar on mine instead of round chrome) below. You can also see why I am looking to do something with the seat on mine.

Last edited by BigD_83; 06-26-2012, 03:10 AM. Reason: resized images
        '83 GS650G

Comment

Why not just grab a seat cover for your seat and restore your own seat?

Comment

Originally posted by bbytes View Post
            Why not just grab a seat cover for your seat and restore your own seat?
            I actually want to mod the saddle a little bit as I find it a tad wide, and the foam is well on it's way to crumbling out of existence.

I'm most likely going to be creating a new cover, but I need to figure out what pattern is correct for the model and year as I'd like to maintain the stock appearance.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              Steve, I tried to capture that image out of EBay, but couldn't. How did you do it?

EDIT- I got it. I have one of the fancy magic mice at work and sometimes it doesn't select images properly.
              Don't know why a "magic mouse" wouldn't work. I just right-click on the eBay picture, select "copy", then come back here and hit "paste".

I agree. The seat looks very good, but I'm wondering if it is from an 81 or 82 instead of an 83, or if there were some differences between the Canadian and US pattern in 1983.
              I did not note any difference in the grab rail, but I did look at seat patterns in the parts fiche from '81 to '83, which were the only years the 650 was available here in the US. I did not see any difference in the fiche.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 1983 GS650G has the same grab rail shown in BigD_83's photo. I have a picture of a 1981 model that has the grab rail shown in the eBay photo.

Jim
                1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
                  My 1983 GS650G has the same grab rail shown in BigD_83's photo. I have a picture of a 1981 model that has the grab rail shown in the eBay photo.

Jim
                  Jim,

I know you still have the stock seat on your 650. Is it the same as mine, or the same pattern as the one in the auction?

Honestly, I prefer the look of the one on mine (minus the split and black duct tape) over the auction saddle, and I don't think it diminishes the "stock" look if it isn't. We have a really good seat builder/coverer in the area, and I"m thinking of throwing her some business to help me build up a new saddle, so I can see how she goes about the job.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Jim,

I know you still have the stock seat on your 650. Is it the same as mine, or the same pattern as the one in the auction?

Honestly, I prefer the look of the one on mine (minus the split and black duct tape) over the auction saddle, and I don't think it diminishes the "stock" look if it isn't. We have a really good seat builder/coverer in the area, and I"m thinking of throwing her some business to help me build up a new saddle, so I can see how she goes about the job.
                    My seat is the same as yours. Mine has a little less duct tape but I lost the plastic caps on the grab rail years ago.

Jim
                    1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
                      My seat is the same as yours. Mine has a little less duct tape but I lost the plastic caps on the grab rail years ago.

Jim
                      Thanks, Jim.

Assuming I stay with the stock seat dimensions, would you be interested in a cover if I can get a deal on a couple from Slim?
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Nice seat

That's the cleanest 81-82 650G seat I've ever seen on the 'Bay. I have as nearly a nice 83 seat, but the pan is bent, not bad enough to fix with a little ingenuity. PM me if you're interested. (The handle is a little scraped, in the interest of full disclosure)
                        Last edited by recycled64; 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM. Reason: additional info
                        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                          That's the cleanest 81-82 650G seat I've ever seen on the 'Bay. I have as nearly a nice 83 seat, but the pan is bent, not bad enough to fix with a little ingenuity. PM me if you're interested. (The handle is a little scraped, in the interest of full disclosure)
                          I know! I regularly check in on seats, and that one is clean as a whistle, and a good price. I should actually let people on here know about the seller as he has a tonne of 650G parts, including an airbox and airfilter housing. I know someone was recently looking for said items.

You also just confirmed my suspicion the model year was not an '83.
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Thanks, Jim.

Assuming I stay with the stock seat dimensions, would you be interested in a cover if I can get a deal on a couple from Slim?
                            I already have a Saddlemen cover to install. It looks good enough but it isn't stock.

Thanks.

Jim
                            1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

Working...
                            X