Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket signals

Here goes my first post...

I have a '79 750E that with the help of another GSResources member, was very road worthy last summer. This past spring I switched out the handlebars to clubmans which forced me to find aftermarket signals. I ended up going with a cheap set from China and surprise surprise, they aren't working.

When I wire them in, they turn on but wont flash. I'm wondering if this is a resistor issue or something else? I've heard of issues with LED lights - but these are bulbs.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there an inexpensive way to make the lights I bought flash?

2. What are some reasonably priced aftermarket lights that would work without modification? They need to stick out no further than 2" on the front.

Thanks for reading my post.

Safe riding!

You need a turn signal relay made for LED's (because of the low draw compared to stock bulbs).

Check out www.superbrightleds.com

Comment

Thanks for the response. They are not LED lights though...they are bulb.

Comment

are your new bulbs the same wattage as the old ones ? if not this could be a cause of no blinking, as they are not drawing he same amount as the old one. and all are working right ? I mean they do turn on, you don't have a dead bulb do you ?

Comment

Someone here will know... I think there should be a standard flasher unit...I ?think? on the power side... could you have bypassed it? Unfortunately I'm no guru on these bikes... still learning myself.

Comment

Oh, I see. Your new signals are NOT leds and they still won't blink. If that's correct, then it could be a couple of things. If everything worked before, it's probably still a lower wattage bulb causing them to malfunction.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bluenote23,

The stock flasher unit wants to see a predetermined load on the circuit. If you have put in smaller bulbs then it's not drawing enough current for the flasher to work. You can try a regular 2-prong can flasher. Look on the electrical page of my website for suggestions. On my website is also a suggested procedure for replacing the stock flasher with an electronic flasher unit.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input GSers!

Comment

Working...
                X