Avon AM26's. Is the cracking issue over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon AM26's. Is the cracking issue over

I, like may was all set to try these tire's out. Then I stumble across the cracking sidewall thread's.

So has the problem been resolved. What's the latest know date of a bad tire. Thanks.

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
    I, like may was all set to try these tire's out. Then I stumble across the cracking sidewall thread's.

So has the problem been resolved. What's the latest know date of a bad tire. Thanks.
    Don't know about last known bad date, but I bought a front and back that were mfg in March 2011 that are ok, no cracking after 3000 miles.

Comment

I think the old thread is still out there if you're keeping score. The front I got two years ago still looks good. The rear, that was featured in the "cracking" thread, and was replaced by Denis Kirk under warranty......has started cracking . It has some very small cracks that would have gone un-noticed but I look it over pretty good.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've installed and worn out dozens of Avon RoadRiders. More than anyone on this forum, I'd wager. Never seen one with cracking.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened -- I've seen pictures. I am saying that the volume of internet bitching and moaning on any given topic is not a good way to gauge the extent of a problem.

They're fantastic tires. Mount up a set and wear them out.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Meguiars tire shine will make them crack, and I'll bet other tire shine products will too.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
            Meguiars tire shine will make them crack, and I'll bet other tire shine products will too.
            Mine cracked and I never treated them with anything. It was not too bad and they are worth (the performance gain) for the small risk of cracking

Comment

I'm glad you guys with the previous problem posted. All though you could have saved the Captian's coment. It was directly because of your trouble I was hesitant.

I guess I'm going for it. I found one with date code of March 2012. So I don't think I could get any better unless I was catching them when they came off the line.

Do you guy see any problem's with me mixing it with a Ching Chang Marquis,,,or what ever it is on the front. It will only be for about a month. Thanks.

Comment

Run them at 42lbs or you will become familiar with the cupping issue.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                  Run them at 42lbs or you will become familiar with the cupping issue.

I'm calling bullspit. What "cupping" issue are you talking about? And are you talking about the new RoadRiders, or the old RoadRunners?

These things cup WAY less than ANY tire I've ever seen. I've seen a front RoadRider with more than 18,000 miles on it that was certainly getting thin, but was NOT cupping at all. One of the hallmarks of this tire is how well it behaves as it wears.

Run the correct pressure for your bike (search for the 10% rule for instructions as to how to determine this).

The correct pressure with modern tires like these is usually NOT the pressure listed on the bike's sticker or the maximum listed on the sidewall.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 06-30-2012, 12:17 AM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I think the Avon issue is completely overblown or possibly fabricated.

I always tire shine my Avons, put tons of miles on them, lean hard, ride in pothole infested areas.

What cracks? Where?

Comment

I've seen the cracks. Not bull.

I buy them anyway because they are great tires.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        I think the Avon issue is completely overblown or possibly fabricated.

I always tire shine my Avons, put tons of miles on them, lean hard, ride in pothole infested areas.

What cracks? Where?

Didn't you post in the original thread. You know. The one with all the picture's. I'll have to find the thread.

I think he's just trying to be funny.

Comment

I have a set on each of my bikes, one set about 2.5 years old and the other about 2 years, I haven't noticed any cracking, but I haven't taken a magnifying glass to them either.
                          As far as using products like ArmorAll, I won't. ArmorAll makes them slick, plus they "dry" out stuff.
                          We had F-15's in which crew chiefs used ArmorAll to make the jets tires look great. But then we started having blow-outs, the culprit, ArmorAll, which was expressly forbidden thereafter.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I found the orig "cracking" thread but couldn't post to it.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Anyway...I rode 2012 (aprox 6 months) on the warranty replacement Road Rider (rear) from Dennis Kirk. It is now finally the spring of 2013.....and that Road Rider is all cracked to hell . I'm really starting to think the cold weather has something to do with it.

Pictures soon.....
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              I found the orig "cracking" thread but couldn't post to it.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Anyway...I rode 2012 (aprox 6 months) on the warranty replacement Road Rider (rear) from Dennis Kirk. It is now finally the spring of 2013.....and that Road Rider is all cracked to hell . I'm really starting to think the cold weather has something to do with it.

Pictures soon.....
                              Street tires should never crack due to cold weather. In your shoes, I'd send them back and demand another brand of tire. And I'd send a letter to DOT, with photos and date codes.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                              X